Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2009, 09:50 AM   #181
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
And, here's the parcel! I'll open in just a few minutes. Need to have a bit of a walk.

Yeah, I presume the post should be reasonably quick to you, Seamuis. On this end, it appears we have a new regular mail carrier, ...one thing that's been slowing me up is we've had a bunch of substitutes lately. Nice folks, most of them, but I think they'd fall behind.
great news! im glad it arrived safe and sound. now the old ad campaign 'Just hold an Asahi Pentax' comes to mind. enjoy using it! look forward to the photos.

02-25-2009, 10:53 AM   #182
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Did notice the long seals are about gone, though, would you like me to lay some new ones in there, Seeain? Afraid I've got no felt, but no one seems to have had a problem with light leaks, yet, anyway. )
True that. I had meant to do it before it went out and it got away from me.

If you had the materials, I'd say do it. But it should be OK as is. No light leaks yet as you said.

Seaain
02-25-2009, 11:03 AM   #183
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
great news! im glad it arrived safe and sound. now the old ad campaign 'Just hold an Asahi Pentax' comes to mind. enjoy using it! look forward to the photos.
Indeed. It's lighter than I expected, but, nicely-made. Ah, I do like a full microprism, though.

I'll be waiting to see if Seeain would like me to replace these seals I mentioned in an edit of the last post, while the camera's empty, though.

Oh, there he is. Anyway, Seeain, no big deal about it. What I have the stuff to do is easy enough to get at. *tying back hair and looking for some blank film to protect the shutter with.*

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 02-25-2009 at 11:09 AM.
02-25-2009, 11:08 AM   #184
Banned

Indeed. It's lighter than I expected, but, nicely-made. Ah, I do like a full microprism, though.

I'll be waiting to see if Seeain would like me to replace these seals I mentioned in an edit of the last post, while the camera's empty, though.
I just purchased a whole seal replacement kit and have yet to use it as my new SV has brand new seals.... don't know if id want to do it tough. you are likely far more experienced in doing that. im sure Seaain doesn't mind.

02-25-2009, 11:28 AM   #185
Veteran Member

I just purchased a whole seal replacement kit and have yet to use it as my new SV has brand new seals.... don't know if id want to do it tough. you are likely far more experienced in doing that. im sure Seaain doesn't mind.
Yeah, we keep crossing posts, there he is above. This is shaping up to be a pretty easy one, the old seals are so far gone, there's hardly any gummies in there. It's removing the old ones that's generally the hassle about it.

*getting top one in and taking a quick break.* Actually, Seamuis, if you're interested in doing your own light seals, one of these old Spotties looks like an easy first one to try. It's very straightforward, and from the look of what remains of these seals, I don't think they're actually meant to do much of the job of actually keeping *light* out. There's just not much remaining of the old ones, and I think if there was going to be a problem, previous shooters would have seen it. Real nice candidate for Mr. Goodman's materials, too: the grooves are quite deep. Wish I'd grabbed some of those, actually, just so the back would feel really snug, but what I have should be a marked improvement.

Ah, here we go. Now, we're all snug, with both new seals in place. Now, we have what these were advertised to feel like. Appropriately enough, these seals come from a Mr. Asahi over in Japan.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 02-25-2009 at 12:53 PM.
02-25-2009, 01:49 PM   #186

Ah, good to hear that the SV made it over to ya

And good to hear that it has new seals. I have to agree that the seals don't seem to be what keeps the back light-tight... they look more like dust seals to me. The deep channels seem to be more than enough to keep any light out.

I look forward to your work with the Sighteer, Ratmagiclady
02-25-2009, 02:04 PM   #187
Banned

Yeah, we keep crossing posts, there he is above. This is shaping up to be a pretty easy one, the old seals are so far gone, there's hardly any gummies in there. It's removing the old ones that's generally the hassle about it.

*getting top one in and taking a quick break.* Actually, Seamuis, if you're interested in doing your own light seals, one of these old Spotties looks like an easy first one to try. It's very straightforward, and from the look of what remains of these seals, I don't think they're actually meant to do much of the job of actually keeping *light* out. There's just not much remaining of the old ones, and I think if there was going to be a problem, previous shooters would have seen it. Real nice candidate for Mr. Goodman's materials, too: the grooves are quite deep. Wish I'd grabbed some of those, actually, just so the back would feel really snug, but what I have should be a marked improvement.

Ah, here we go. Now, we're all snug, with both new seals in place. Now, we have what these were advertised to feel like. Appropriately enough, these seals come from a Mr. Asahi over in Japan.
I purchased mr. goodmans kit to do a spotmatic SPII but haven't gotten around to it. I know it wont be difficult, but since I have no formal experience I wouldnt think it right to give my first try on someone elses camera.

QuoteQuote:
Appropriately enough, these seals come from a Mr. Asahi over in Japan.
more than appropriate! very intersting irony there.

02-25-2009, 02:05 PM   #188
Veteran Member

*tying back hair and looking for some blank film to protect the shutter with.*
I don't wish to appear ungentlemanly, but as a lady if you have enough back hair that you can tie it up you may wish to look into electrolysis.
02-25-2009, 02:24 PM   #189
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you RML. I appreciate that. Let me know if I can reimburse you for the materials and even for the "service."

I'm both thrilled and grateful. I've done two of mine and the getting the gunk part out is indeed the difficult, crappy part of the deal. Didn't realize just how gone those were. Been meaning to lay in a stock of Goodman's materials. Not having any and having put a roll through the SV before sending it, I just shrugged and sent it. Thank you so much for the value add...

Seaain.

Last edited by woof; 02-25-2009 at 07:25 PM.
02-25-2009, 06:11 PM   #190
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I don't wish to appear ungentlemanly, but .
And here I was, afraid all this time to ask Mommy where Neanderthals come from. I shudder to think what personal experience led you to that imagining.

Yeah, you don't appear any too gentlemanly.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 02-25-2009 at 06:16 PM.
02-25-2009, 09:07 PM   #191
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Thank you RML. I appreciate that. Let me know if I can reimburse you for the materials and even for the "service."

I'm both thrilled and grateful. I've done two of mine and the getting the gunk part out is indeed the difficult, crappy part of the deal. Didn't realize just how gone those were. Been meaning to lay in a stock of Goodman's materials. Not having any and having put a roll through the SV before sending it, I just shrugged and sent it. Thank you so much for the value add...

Seaain.
Don't worry about it, call it my prezzie to the Sightseer club, so to speak.

I mean to make an order from Mr. Goodman, myself, his foam's nicer than what I have, and you get the different thicknesses and such, and stuff for mirrors and side seals, and the like and you don't have to worry about the adhesives for the thin seals.

(Oh, for your reference, what I've put in should come out easily with a bit of rubbing alcohol, should you have need or inclination. )
02-27-2009, 01:00 PM   #192
Veteran Member

*hiding from rains.* Finally, I've shaken the headaches, and now it's not a fit day to walk around with a vintage camera. Not that we can't use about all the rain we can get, here.
02-27-2009, 01:01 PM   #193
Banned

*hiding from rains.* Finally, I've shaken the headaches, and now it's not a fit day to walk around with a vintage camera. Not that we can't use about all the rain we can get, here.
its a sunny 76 degrees here right now.
02-27-2009, 02:11 PM   #194
Veteran Member

its a sunny 76 degrees here right now.
*peeking at radar* Why, it looks very like it. Actually, I have an excuse to take out the car: *loading up* Maybe I'll see what I can get out the window.

You know, the SV mode can turn a K20 into a nice handy spotmeter.
02-28-2009, 08:21 PM   #195
Veteran Member

OK... Photo of Sightseer among local scenery, sort of.... follows.