Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2009, 12:17 PM   #241
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
so if I aspire to be the 6x7 guy im not pro? damn I need a hasselblad, and to start smoking. I have the hair part down. 1/3 of the way there. I will trade a 6x7 for a hasselblad, anyone?
I got a Mamiya 1000s, who gets mistaken for one on occasion?

I used to shoot weddings with a 6x7. Which was not the easy way, admittedly.

04-01-2009, 12:21 PM   #242
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote

I need the real deal, gwen I have to look the part! hasselblad or bust.
04-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #243
Pentaxian

I need the real deal, gwen I have to look the part! hasselblad or bust.
Hee, there you go.

I'm kind of open regarding what I use for medium format. I'm kind of in love with the Mamiya 110 lens, which no one else seems to make an equivalent of, but would like something with a 45 degree finder. I'd had a notion that I could do the occasional wedding old-school, but then all of a sudden, a K20 came along, so I can do real nice digital. Mamiya also makes a 1.9 lens I wouldn't sneeze at for certain purposes.
04-01-2009, 01:18 PM   #244
Loyal Site Supporter

My wedding was shot with a 6x7, including the wooden handle with a Vivitar 283 (I think) flash mounted and a power pack.

Guy promptly went out of business (retaining our "hourly" deposit) and we had to threaten to sue to get our prints (yeah? well the line starts over there, Bub), then he tried to hit us up for the negatives (contract stated they belonged to us but would be "stored" by him). I ended up making a token payment to get a shoddy envelope of finger-smeared negs. Heaven knows where they are now.

04-02-2009, 05:13 AM   #245
Pentaxian

Oof, well, no wonder he went out of business, Monochrome. I never did much like that practice, anyway, though it's kind of how-to-make money. I never did it, anyway, since I was expecting to go away to college and wasn't planning on looking back. What I'd worked out to do was make up an album, and keep the negs for long enough to take stuff in for one trip to the pro lab for any prints anyone would want, after which they'd get the negs to keep, all paged up. (I took pride in my work, and people, I noticed, had a real tendency to completely ignore negs.
04-04-2009, 07:08 AM   #246
Loyal Site Supporter

Just right, except the photographs

Oof, well, no wonder he went out of business, Monochrome. I never did much like that practice, anyway, though it's kind of how-to-make money. I never did it, anyway, since I was expecting to go away to college and wasn't planning on looking back. What I'd worked out to do was make up an album, and keep the negs for long enough to take stuff in for one trip to the pro lab for any prints anyone would want, after which they'd get the negs to keep, all paged up. (I took pride in my work, and people, I noticed, had a real tendency to completely ignore negs.
Yeah, my wife's parents were teachers and while gentle souls, they didn't know much about the world. Did the wedding just right ->

Beautiful simple gown hand-made by her mother and aunts, embroidered & pearl-encrusted; beautiful 19th C. chapel; small, simple ceremony - 11 minutes!; just hand-made petits four, champagne and the cake; with a string quartet. Men in blazer and grey flannels, bridesmaids in a simple dress they could wear again - -

but I think they didn't pay much attention to the photographs.

My wife knows exactly where the negs are - took them to a custom lab and had them "cleaned up and re-packaged" as she put it and returned (I never knew she did that ). Apparently the lab did that kind of thing for cost-of-materials when referred by a client.

Of course, that lab did 40 or 50 FILM copies (so each of our children would have one) of irreplaceable and somewhat historic family portraits for her over the ensuing years - things like a Samuel L. Jackson print of Lake City, CO, a portrait taken in Denver in the late 19th C. of her silver-mining great-grandfather, or a Bachrach portrait of her great aunt (really an art print!!).

Alas, they were forced out of business by digital when their commercial portrait printing business went away.

Reminds me to pay attention to the little customer service things in my own business - you never know what will develop.
04-14-2009, 06:48 AM   #247
Banned

ok. so first off, no Seaain I haven't stolen your camera. its been hellish the past two weeks. when it wasn't pouring down rain, I wasn't able to go out because I was working 12-14 hour shifts. the weather has not in the least bit cooperated with me, sad to say. and on top of that I have been battling a cold for the past week. I think I got 10-12 rolls in total and I will have them developed all at once and as soon as I get them all back in and scanned and all that I will upload a few here and the rest on the flicker page. I am truly sorry for the absence but work and the weather have been beating me down relentlessly. I am getting the sightseer packed up today to send on to Blue.
04-14-2009, 07:12 AM   #248
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yeah, my wife's parents were teachers and while gentle souls, they didn't know much about the world.......small, simple ceremony - 11 minutes!
They knew enough to get it over with before you had a chance to come to your senses and bolt for the door.....

04-14-2009, 08:58 AM   #249
Site Supporter

ok. so first off, no Seaain I haven't stolen your camera. its been hellish the past two weeks. when it wasn't pouring down rain, I wasn't able to go out because I was working 12-14 hour shifts. the weather has not in the least bit cooperated with me, sad to say. and on top of that I have been battling a cold for the past week. I think I got 10-12 rolls in total and I will have them developed all at once and as soon as I get them all back in and scanned and all that I will upload a few here and the rest on the flicker page. I am truly sorry for the absence but work and the weather have been beating me down relentlessly. I am getting the sightseer packed up today to send on to Blue.
No problem. We have been on the receiving end of a lot of water the past couple of weeks. When it wasn't raining here, it was coming down stream from Georgia. We have had 2 rivers in north Florida to reach the 500 year flood plain. The Withlacootchee and Suwanee were the ones. The Suwanee flooded US 90 and 64 and nearly flooded I10.
04-14-2009, 08:29 PM   #250
Pentaxian

Ten rolls. Well, that's some quantity. I should get some more scans up, myself, ...I've been letting the negs I shot flatten all this time to preserve my sanity. Looking forward to seeing your stuff, Seamuis.
04-15-2009, 02:46 AM   #251
Banned

Ten rolls. Well, that's some quantity. I should get some more scans up, myself, ...I've been letting the negs I shot flatten all this time to preserve my sanity. Looking forward to seeing your stuff, Seamuis.
don't let the number fool you. I can shoot 4-5 rolls in a matter of an hour or two. this is the reason I use a lot of cheaper fuji film.
04-15-2009, 04:17 AM   #252
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
...I've been letting the negs I shot flatten all this time to preserve my sanity.
Go ahead and use it all up. They sell it over here and I'll send you some more....in a refreshing Cool Mint scent, no less.

04-15-2009, 05:23 AM   #253
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Go ahead and use it all up. They sell it over here and I'll send you some more....in a refreshing Cool Mint scent, no less.
Ah, the cool mint of sanity...
04-16-2009, 05:47 PM   #254
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
They knew enough to get it over with before you had a chance to come to your senses and bolt for the door.....
Hah Hah - my Best Man had stationed all our really big football-playing friends at the seats near the doors
04-16-2009, 05:58 PM   #255
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Hah Hah - my Best Man had stationed all our really big football-playing friends at the seats near the doors
My wedding was military. There were six of my ... friends ... with big swords at the door.