Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
I'm in. Add me to the list.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Let me in! Let me in!
Posted to Flickr as sbrothers55
Done and Done... Flickr requests also processed... Welcome!

The List is:

Stevopedia
felix68
Ratmagiclady
séamuis
blue
ryan s
konraDarnok
stevebrot

Great... thanks guys! Glad to see the interest growing. That camera is going to be getting some serious use. A word to all here. if anything happens to the camera, like for some reason it stops working correctly or something, we'll work that out. It is an old camera after all.

I have a really nice H3 in standby that I can send out as well. So don't be shy. If something seems amiss, let me know immediately and we can get a replacement into circulation right away if need be.

I'll keep the list with user names from this forum as this thread actually will remain primary. Only fair since we are using Adam's site to get this rolling. Flickr site will be fun and we should post there too. I added some links to the SV and Sekonic manual under the texchnical inforamtion thread. Those links are:

http://www.cameramanuals.org/pentax_pdf/pentax_sv_s1a.pdf
http://www.cameramanuals.org/flashes_meters/sekonic_leader_de_luxe.pdf

I have made a donation to M. Butkus on this date for these manuals under my email address of seaain.gray@gxxxx.com ;-)

Thanks!

woof!

Last edited by woof; 01-15-2009 at 07:46 AM.
01-15-2009, 12:42 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Stevopedia... the camera arrived at your mailing address at 10:19am!

woof!
01-15-2009, 12:55 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Stevopedia... the camera arrived at your mailing address at 10:19am!

woof!
And it's on. cool.
01-15-2009, 05:52 PM   #37

I just got the SV an hour ago and... oh, God, it's gorgeous!

Everything just feels right. The advance lever is amazingly silky smooth. The shutter dial clicks positively. The focus ring feels amazing, and the aperture ring is nice and crisp. The viewfinder is very nice, and that HUGE microprism center is a dream to work with... though, to be honest, a split-image is nicer IMO.

And all this is in relation to a KX (in admittedly poor shape) that I thought was nice before...! There's definitely some vintage Pentax screwmount in my future, both of the metered and unmetered variety.

Oh, and the packaging was really well done too... looks like it would even have survived falling off the truck! There's certainly a thing or two I could learn about packing from that...

I'm really gonna enjoy taking it for a spin. It'll probably be a bit sad for me to send it on to the next luck recipient, but... then they'll get to experience the amazingness!

Thanks, woof. This is a real treat. I'll take good care of her.

(Now, if only I could figure out how to use the light meter... )
01-15-2009, 06:52 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stevopedia Quote
(Now, if only I could figure out how to use the light meter... )
Here's the quick tour.

1. Set the ASA. Set it in the left window, unless it has odd increments like 160.
2. In bright sunlight, keep the cover on the front closed. If you can't gat a good reading in lower light, open the cover in the front.
3. Point it at your target. if the target is truly too far off, point it at something like it, or at your hand.
4. Match the RED mark (for the cover closed, BLUE for cover open) to the needle. Now, look at the inner dial and you'll see that there are f/stops marked and that the one you want is indicated generally by the red or blue (as the case may be) mark. Note further that the f/stop has a bit of a range and that if you look closely you can see alternating light and dark ranges under the f/stops indicating the appropriate range for the f/stop.

Let me know if this helps. I should have bought an easier meter to use. The meter manual will help you piece it together. Look at Page 9. You'll see... front cover closed. Double red mark is used to line up with meter needle. Below that is the appropriate f/stop... and below the f/stop is the range in which that f/stop is appropriate.

You'll get it. A good way to get a feel for it is to shoot readings and then compare the readings to another known good meter like in one of your other cameras...

There is always Sunny 16 rules... see: Sunny 16 rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Glad it got there safely. Have fun. Take your time and let us know if you need anything.

Kind regards,

woof

Last edited by woof; 01-15-2009 at 07:12 PM.
01-15-2009, 06:58 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stevopedia Quote
The viewfinder is very nice, and that HUGE microprism center is a dream to work with... though, to be honest, a split-image is nicer IMO.
You know I have to agree about split screen. I recently purchased a ZX-M and am using it with my old preset Takumars. Finally, the old man can focus again! I am going to review that camera, which with an M42 adapter, all features and it's size considered, is very much like a modern Spotmatic ESII with a split screen. Highly recommended - but wait until I do the review.

On the other hand, the SV has one of the largest microprism grids of the pre-Spotmatic and Spotmatic line. Twice if not more the size of a Spottie's grid. Good as it gets with that line of cameras, and it is one of the things that has made the SV and S1a a favorite with me. Frankly the H3 also has this same grid and that is my real favorite, but the differences are inconsequential.

woof!
01-16-2009, 03:15 PM   #40

I understand how to use the light meter now. After a combination of reading your helpful post, the manual, some testing against another (in-camera) meter, and head scratching to taste, I finally understand. Thanks woof!

Monday looks like SV Day No. 1 for me. Once I get my shots developed I'll post 'em to the Flickr group.
01-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #41
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am really getting excited about my turn with this camera. Just paging though the pdf owner's manual, I felt the anticipation rising. I have always liked the feel of the older Pentax film SLRs, but have never had the opportunity to actually shoot with one.

I am looking forward to seeing the posted pictures and am content to wait my turn.

Steve
01-16-2009, 10:47 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Now some of you folks are going to join Steve in understanding why I so often recommend the SV to people. I predict that at least half the people on the list will end up trying to hunt one down to buy for themselves.
01-16-2009, 10:49 PM   #43
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Now some of you folks are going to join Steve in understanding why I so often recommend the SV to people. I predict that at least half the people on the list will end up trying to hunt one down to buy for themselves.
Too late, I've already got one on the way and am stalking a black one at the moment.
01-16-2009, 11:23 PM   #44
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Too late, I've already got one on the way and am stalking a black one at the moment.
It's CBA, I tell ya! It starts with spending a few minutes at the used camera counter and in the final stages can involve dozens of simultaneous eBay auctions. It's dangerous, I tell ya!

Steve

(Has a Ricoh XR2s on the way and is currently stalking two other film cameras,...one does need back-ups after all...)

BTW...The Ricoh has the well-reviewed XR Rikenon 50/2 attached and comes with a (supposedly) working Vivitar flash and Promaster zoom. Time will tell if my $42 was well-spent. Delivery will be tomorrow or Tuesday.
01-16-2009, 11:28 PM   #45
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I checked the Bay and...wow, there are some nice SVs at auction right now...

Calm down Steve...calm down...

Steve

(Think I saw the black one...)