Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
01-17-2009, 08:52 AM   #46
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Now some of you folks are going to join Steve in understanding why I so often recommend the SV to people. I predict that at least half the people on the list will end up trying to hunt one down to buy for themselves.
Muwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

No, seriously though. The SV is a great camera, but there were many others going back to the 1957 Original that are also great cameras. If you are going to buy, check the features, functions and specs and see what interests you.

My current favorite happens to be an H3/S3. This is the backup camera in case something comes of the SV.

Have a look here for history and specifications. They are interesting. History of Early Pentax

Good deals can be had on many of these every day. An I highly recommend that even if you only get one pre-Spotmatic or even a Spotmatic, etc., that you also pick up at least one of each of the various lens types from the early days... so...

1. A preset as came with 1957 Original and "S." There is a 35mm f/4 that I rather like and the 55 mm f 2.2 Takumar is a beauty. There are also a couple of 58mm that are somewhat rare and a 135mm that is the forerunner of the much taken for granted SUper Takumar that everyone has seen;

2. An auto-Takumar in the true sens. This lens works more like a super-Takumar, but in order to put in auto mode, you actually have to cock it. When the shutter is released, it "fires" and must be recocked again. In essence this functionality was developed so that the user could choose aperture first, then open the iris for focusing. With a preset, the workflow always went the other way... focus, aperture. With an Auto, you can work either way, and as you like. The one I like most is the 35mm f/2.3, but the 35mm f/3.5 is the same f/3.5 as the later super Tahumar, just with the cocking mechanism.

3. Super Takumars... etc...

For more information on the early lenses see:

Early Pentax Takumar Lenses

At some point I would consider circulating some of these lenses as well. An interesting side note to all of this is that I find using the presets very nice on my ZX-M. More on that later...

woof!

01-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #47

woof, I was planning on taking the SV out for its first photo outing tomorrow. However, tomorrow's high is forecast to be 28 degrees F, and I don't want to risk damaging the Sightseein' Screwmount in the cold. Do you think it will be alright? I know my KX (which I mentioned before badly needs a CLA) froze in similar weather, and it's never really been quite right since...

Also, I gotta say that I've been looking at an S3/H3 myself, or an SV, and there's a Pentax K in BGN condition that's caught my eye on KEH. Just how good of condition is BGN on KEH (I know they grade strictly)?
01-18-2009, 01:12 PM   #48
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stevopedia Quote
woof, I was planning on taking the SV out for its first photo outing tomorrow. However, tomorrow's high is forecast to be 28 degrees F, and I don't want to risk damaging the Sightseein' Screwmount in the cold. Do you think it will be alright? I know my KX (which I mentioned before badly needs a CLA) froze in similar weather, and it's never really been quite right since...
I'd try it. You have my permission. If it freezes and we need to go to the backup, so be it. I am not being careless... I've used various version of this basic camera in some very cold places and never had a problem. I think 28 F will be fine.

Just a tip to minimize condensation in the camera and on the film... take a gallon ziplock. Just before you come in, put the camera in it, suck the air out and seal it. If you use a camera bag, but the thing in the bag and let the whole kit warm up slowly. Been doing that for years to good effect.

So yes... do it!

QuoteOriginally posted by Stevopedia Quote
Also, I gotta say that I've been looking at an S3/H3 myself, or an SV, and there's a Pentax K in BGN condition that's caught my eye on KEH. Just how good of condition is BGN on KEH (I know they grade strictly)?
Don't know about grading. $119.00 is OK for a K I guess... I paid 149.00 for a very fine one with a little wrinkle in the shutter WITH the Zebra f/1.8 55mm lens. I picked up a very fine Original AP with 58mm f/2.0 for 100.00 a while back because no-one knew what it was including the seller. A while back someone sold a very fine K on this forum for like 75.00. So I would counsel patience.

I'll keep my eye out for good bargains. Maybe I should post them here when I see them? Or perhaps PM... PM coming at you...

Seaain
01-18-2009, 05:02 PM   #49
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Woof, Did you see the black SV that was on fleabay for $115 bin? I had the twitches real bad. :ugh: RARE black PENTAX SV screwmount camera body + lens - eBay (item 200297581651 end time Jan-17-09 17:55:38 PST)

I landed a silver one for $21.50 that seemed in good shape. I'll have to wait and see when I get it.

01-18-2009, 06:39 PM   #50
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Woof, Did you see the black SV that was on fleabay for $115 bin? I had the twitches real bad. :ugh:
I landed a silver one for $21.50 that seemed in good shape. I'll have to wait and see when I get it.
I don't blame you about twitching some. I saw it after it was mentioned in this thread so I didn't think twice really about it. Didn't want to step on anyone here if they were going to jump. It was nice. The black ones go for too much in my opinion. At that price the fact that it needed service was more than I would have paid.

Frankly, for $21.50 in good condition I think that's a good way to go. See what you get. Use it. No worries. That's more my style. I've lucked out quite often by being patient and picking up on auctions no-one sees or cares about for whatever reason.

Even if it needs a CLA, the black one did, so ... you only saved about 95.00. You know what I mean? There are a few nice cameras out there right now, but there are also some that for which people are asking ridiculous money. The black SV was close.

Let us know how you make out with the one you purchased. If everything was in order and it was working pretty well and you think it's a keeper, consider doing the CLA anyway.

woof

Last edited by woof; 01-18-2009 at 06:49 PM.
01-19-2009, 12:19 AM   #51
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Woof, Did you see the black SV that was on fleabay for $115 bin? I had the twitches real bad. :ugh: RARE black PENTAX SV screwmount camera body + lens - eBay (item 200297581651 end time Jan-17-09 17:55:38 PST)

I saw both auctions. It was a temptation, but at this point I have just about rounded out my film camera quiver. Glad you scored!

Steve
01-19-2009, 12:22 AM   #52
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
I don't blame you about twitching some. I saw it after it was mentioned in this thread so I didn't think twice really about it. Didn't want to step on anyone here if they were going to jump. It was nice. The black ones go for too much in my opinion. At that price the fact that it needed service was more than I would have paid.

Frankly, for $21.50 in good condition I think that's a good way to go. See what you get. Use it. No worries. That's more my style. I've lucked out quite often by being patient and picking up on auctions no-one sees or cares about for whatever reason.

Even if it needs a CLA, the black one did, so ... you only saved about 95.00. You know what I mean? There are a few nice cameras out there right now, but there are also some that for which people are asking ridiculous money. The black SV was close.

Let us know how you make out with the one you purchased. If everything was in order and it was working pretty well and you think it's a keeper, consider doing the CLA anyway.

woof
What he said...

I figured the silver was the better deal. Eric could probably do a total rebuild for less than the asking price of the black one. I knew that Blue was aware of the auction on the silver one and decided to let it go rather than bid up one of the bros'.

Steve

01-19-2009, 10:41 AM   #53
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What he said...

I figured the silver was the better deal. Eric could probably do a total rebuild for less than the asking price of the black one. I knew that Blue was aware of the auction on the silver one and decided to let it go rather than bid up one of the bros'.

Steve
Thanks Steve!
01-19-2009, 10:53 AM   #54

Hey guys,

I've got a quick little update on our Sightseer. I took it out for a short spin this morning (short because it's snowing out and the poor camera got snowed on... nothing major though) and got a few shots... I'll admit that most of 'em are definitely snapshots and not photographs.

Hopefully when the snow stops I'll be able to get some good snowscapes.
01-19-2009, 11:08 AM   #55
Site Supporter

Muwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

No, seriously though. The SV is a great camera, but there were many others going back to the 1957 Original that are also great cameras. If you are going to buy, check the features, functions and specs and see what interests you.

My current favorite happens to be an H3/S3. This is the backup camera in case something comes of the SV.

Have a look here for history and specifications. They are interesting. History of Early Pentax

Good deals can be had on many of these every day. An I highly recommend that even if you only get one pre-Spotmatic or even a Spotmatic, etc., that you also pick up at least one of each of the various lens types from the early days... so...

1. A preset as came with 1957 Original and "S." There is a 35mm f/4 that I rather like and the 55 mm f 2.2 Takumar is a beauty. There are also a couple of 58mm that are somewhat rare and a 135mm that is the forerunner of the much taken for granted SUper Takumar that everyone has seen;

2. An auto-Takumar in the true sens. This lens works more like a super-Takumar, but in order to put in auto mode, you actually have to cock it. When the shutter is released, it "fires" and must be recocked again. In essence this functionality was developed so that the user could choose aperture first, then open the iris for focusing. With a preset, the workflow always went the other way... focus, aperture. With an Auto, you can work either way, and as you like. The one I like most is the 35mm f/2.3, but the 35mm f/3.5 is the same f/3.5 as the later super Tahumar, just with the cocking mechanism.

3. Super Takumars... etc...

For more information on the early lenses see:

Early Pentax Takumar Lenses

At some point I would consider circulating some of these lenses as well. An interesting side note to all of this is that I find using the presets very nice on my ZX-M. More on that later...

woof!
This is some good info Woof. I have had those sites bookmarked for a long time. I have wondered why the Spotmatic F is left off there.
01-19-2009, 01:39 PM   #56
Veteran Member

This is some good info Woof. I have had those sites bookmarked for a long time. I have wondered why the Spotmatic F is left off there.
Probably because it is "Early" Pentax Takumar Lenses.
01-19-2009, 02:12 PM   #57
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I get what you are saying... you are talking about the "History of Early Pentax (Cameras)" Site...

Yes, he takes it up through the ESII and does not take it as far as the "F." The ESII was introduced in 1972. The Spotmatic F was introduced in 1973.

I guess the author simply felt that that 1972 was the end of "Early Pentax" era. Kind of funny really. The "F" if anything was a step backwards since the ESII had open aperture metering and Av mode whereas the "F" was essentially a Spotmatic II with open aperture metering.

Seems like the "F," as the last screwmount, should be included. It simply is more logical than grouping it with the K1000 even though it has been said that a K1000 is an "F" with a K mount. Go figure...

woof
01-19-2009, 02:55 PM   #58
Site Supporter

I get what you are saying... you are talking about the "History of Early Pentax (Cameras)" Site...

Yes, he takes it up through the ESII and does not take it as far as the "F." The ESII was introduced in 1972. The Spotmatic F was introduced in 1973.

I guess the author simply felt that that 1972 was the end of "Early Pentax" era. Kind of funny really. The "F" if anything was a step backwards since the ESII had open aperture metering and Av mode whereas the "F" was essentially a Spotmatic II with open aperture metering.

Seems like the "F," as the last screwmount, should be included. It simply is more logical than grouping it with the K1000 even though it has been said that a K1000 is an "F" with a K mount. Go figure...

woof
Yes I was referring to the "History of Early Pentax Cameras." Perhaps I should have been more clear on that. The Spot F is actually more like the KM than the k1000 though because it has the timer and DOF preview and a nicer film advance lever.
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Probably because it is "Early" Pentax Takumar Lenses.
Mike, Woof posted to links and the first was the history of the cameras which stops on the ES II. I should have been more clear which link I was referring to.
01-20-2009, 10:49 PM   #59
Site Supporter

I was just looking at some of my bookmarked early Pentax sites thought I'd post this link. Die Cast Pro - Pentax Lenses

Edit: The lens listing is not complete, but the ones that are have good photos and interesting info.
01-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #60
Inactive Account

Sorry I haven't jumped in here before now as the recovery from shoulder surgery goes slowly. But Woof, what a great idea! The SV was my first 35mm and as you know, I have several of the non-metered variety of Pentax SLR's so I'm sure that everyone will love shooting with this camera. My only concern is that you're creating a whole new group that will be bidding against us on flea-bay for the vintage items. LOL Seriously, everyone enjoy what is a great camera and if I may suggest, try a few shots using the "Sunny f/16" rule. You may be pleasantly surprised at the results.

CW