Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #601
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Blue, the camera is yours, but if you are agreeable, why not organize another round and let old hands try again?

On the other hand I might just be convinced to send through an H2 with some older Auto-Takumar glass for anyone interested in that sort of thing.

woof!
Hey, Seeain! I could happily go again: later in the queue would be better, though: I'm busy being digitally-bewildered and haven't even finished my negative-duping setup yet. Partial excuse: my workshop is a carport, and winter caught up.

03-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #602
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Blue, the camera is yours, but if you are agreeable, why not organize another round and let old hands try again?

On the other hand I might just be convinced to send through an H2 with some older Auto-Takumar glass for anyone interested in that sort of thing.

woof!
Now that I know a little more I'd love to try again.

Someone just GAVE me a Spotmatic SP (not my oldest camera) that's on the way to Eric. If the "two cameras" idea takes hold I'd contribute that.

This idea is sort of like Javier's (JGRedline) traveling Spotmatic on photo.net, except you and Blue keep track of the camera. On photo.net every once in a while somebody asks, "Hey. Who has the Spottie?" A few days later there will be a sheepish reply.
03-01-2010, 05:52 PM   #603
Site Supporter

woof!
The general idea was to start it over following IrishWhite if he decides to do it. Straightshooter deferred due to personal matters but will remain on the list.

Here is the NEW list as it stands. Several People will need to be contacted plus there may be so shuffling in the line up beyond RML.

QuoteQuote:
Nesster- Currently has it
sein06231- (2nd round)
IrishWhite- (1st round)
stevebrot (2nd round)
PortlandPete(1st Round)
St. Louis Area Group- Monochrome (2nd round)
Ratmagiclady (2nd round)
ryan s (2nd round)
Clicker (1st round)
séamuis (?)
Stevopedia (?)
felix68 (?)
blue (2nd round)
konraDarnok (?)
sasquatch- (?)
lawsonstone- (?)
ismaelg- (2nd round, I can personally deliver it in Mar 2011 )
straightshooter *
woof
As far as working in a second body, that's an idea.

Last edited by Blue; 03-04-2010 at 08:12 AM.
03-02-2010, 12:32 AM   #604
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I think we can fit you in following Nesster if you are willing to post some images. We have the flickr SightSeer group setup also.
i visited the group you guys set up prior to me asking to be involved! i had really thought there'd be more people involved...i didn't do an official tally but it seemed like there were only like 4 or 5 people that had uploaded images to the group. Well, although i've not shot a lot of film i would like to offer my services to the group!

03-02-2010, 01:06 AM   #605

Photos: Albums
Hello, all. I've been following this thread since I joined the forum in December. I would love to participate, but was afraid it would wrap up before I got a chance. I am presently in Baghdad, but will be home in about a month and a half. I'm practically neighbors with SteveBrot if it works out. Thanks.

Pete
03-02-2010, 08:12 AM   #606
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by irishwhite Quote
i visited the group you guys set up prior to me asking to be involved! i had really thought there'd be more people involved...i didn't do an official tally but it seemed like there were only like 4 or 5 people that had uploaded images to the group. Well, although i've not shot a lot of film i would like to offer my services to the group!
Some of the people use photo hosting elsewhere and haven't joined the flickr group. Nesster will be uploading images to it eventually.

QuoteOriginally posted by Portland Pete Quote
Hello, all. I've been following this thread since I joined the forum in December. I would love to participate, but was afraid it would wrap up before I got a chance. I am presently in Baghdad, but will be home in about a month and a half. I'm practically neighbors with SteveBrot if it works out. Thanks.

Pete
We'll work you down the list somewhere to give you a chance to get back and settled in.
03-02-2010, 08:46 AM   #607

Photos: Albums
Very Cool. Thank you.

03-02-2010, 08:51 AM   #608
Veteran Member

heh. I'm facing a major psychological hurdle (though I'm on frame 27 of my first roll of Tri-X): I'm not used to a meter-less SLR. Mind you, I don't meter every shot with manual metering cameras. And mind you, I overcame this hurdle with my folding cameras, whether 35mm or 120, often going meterless and judging exposure just fine. But the SLR

Hope to have some pics up later in the week.
03-02-2010, 09:05 AM   #609
Veteran Member

is there not a meter being sent along with the camera? i had thought originally there was. could you meter with another meter-equipped SLR or does it not work like that? Just wondering because i will also have issues with it as i've never taken a picture with a film camera sans meter. in fact, i've only working on my 3rd roll of film ever with an slr so it's all a learning experience for me!
03-02-2010, 09:11 AM   #610
Site Supporter

is there not a meter being sent along with the camera? i had thought originally there was. could you meter with another meter-equipped SLR or does it not work like that? Just wondering because i will also have issues with it as i've never taken a picture with a film camera sans meter. in fact, i've only working on my 3rd roll of film ever with an slr so it's all a learning experience for me!
There is a vintage meter with it. Nesster is just messing with us. I guarantee he knows what he is doing.
03-02-2010, 09:16 AM   #611
Veteran Member

Yes, there's a meter, and I have three others besides. Like I said: it's psychological more than anything else.

The basic premise of dead-reckoning with a camera: you can start with an approximate sunny 16 or you can meter the brigtest area you're shooting in. Then, for each degree of shade you perceive, add 2 stops exposure. At least, this works for me. An easy experiment to try with a meter or a metered camera: note the exposure in open sun, then in open shade (e.g. in the lee of a building), then in deeper shade, and see the relative changes in stops.

I'm happy you're learning film - we need all the recruits we can get!
03-02-2010, 10:52 AM   #612
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

As mentioned above, participation on the Flickr group has been limited. There were also several users who had poor luck with the Sightseer and did not have any photos that they wanted to post. That is the reason behind the strong admonition to post the photos. No one is expecting high art. We are just interested in seeing the results and reading your impressions of using this fine tool.

Steve
03-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #613
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
heh. I'm facing a major psychological hurdle (though I'm on frame 27 of my first roll of Tri-X): I'm not used to a meter-less SLR...

I found it even harder to trust the little Sekonic!

Steve
03-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #614
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

As the others have said, the metering is not as hard as it might seem and most negative film is fairly forgiving. The Sekonic meter that ships with the camera is a nice little unit, but the scales are not very precise. It is also not very sensitive in low light. I have to admit to checking exposure using my K10D on a few occasions. That is perfectly acceptable.

In fact, you might want to spend a little time with the Sekonic and your dSLR before you shoot any film. Put the camera in M mode and figure the exposure settings using the hand-held meter. That should give you a good idea of how it behaves.

Steve
03-02-2010, 11:16 AM   #615

I'd be more than happy to see it come through again. I've not been active much lately, becuase I honestly haven't had the money to be really involved in film photography, and my computer is decidedly long in the tooth and doesn't really like doing digital.

Anyway, I can definitely swing it now if it's decided that the Sightseer will be going on another round, but probably not anything fancy (just plain-Jane drug store film and scans). When it does I can finally reunite with its half-case! :P What I'm trying to say is it might be a better idea if I got later on, say in late Spring or Summer.

Also, I've moved since I last had it... if it got sent on its merry way to my old address, it'd be three states away from me!