Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
03-12-2010, 08:58 AM   #646
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
So here's a question - if I use a more modern Tamron Adaptall-2 lens with the ES mount will it damage the SV mirror as the SMC 50/1.4 would (or should I just stick with the lenses that come in the box)?
If in doubt, err on the side of caution. However, I took some shots with an adapt-a-matic 21mm. The b & w sailboat images were with the 21mm. I took my Super Tak 50mm f1.4 and measured the distance from the mating surface to the edge of the lens protrusion (including any metal) and the 55mm f1.8 that is with the SightSeer. I compared both to the 21mm. However, with Nesster's Super tak 28mm in there, I'd prefer people err on the side of caution unless they know for sure it will clear.

03-12-2010, 09:06 AM   #647
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
If in doubt, err on the side of caution. However, I took some shots with an adapt-a-matic 21mm. The b & w sailboat images were with the 21mm. I took my Super Tak 50mm f1.4 and measured the distance from the mating surface to the edge of the lens protrusion (including any metal) and the 55mm f1.8 that is with the SightSeer. I compared both to the 21mm. However, with Nesster's Super tak 28mm in there, I'd prefer people err on the side of caution unless they know for sure it will clear.
Good advice. 2 lenses should be plenty. I'll limit experiments to the spotless H1a I just got for $0.99 (IOW the shipping cost 15x the bid. I felt sorry for the seller).
03-13-2010, 05:07 AM   #648
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here's a panorama from the SV/55 - I used the relabled Tri-X, so the shutter speed was 500 - I tried another snowy pano as well. What became apparent is that the left side of each frame is darker than the right, so stitching is apparent. I had to try to fix this by masking a levels layer. This may be caused by the shutter being slightly uneven, or perhaps the aperture of the lens closes down a bit slow (though I saw the same effect with the 2 other lenses I tried). This isn't a big issue in usual photography... for the panoramas, I'd shoot in vertical format and stich them together that way... Hmmm I have 1 more week before handing over to Alex, I'll go and try...

03-13-2010, 08:28 AM   #649
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Here's a panorama from the SV/55 -
I generally know where this is too... somewhere along the basin/range from Clifton to Montclair-ish, no?

Great shot of New York City.

Geologically, if you look at New York City in this manner you can see that there are high buildings along midtown, and then again all the way downtown. This is where bedrock comes to the surface.

The area in between is full of rubble and glacial till and will not support taller buildings. Picture it as two SS's that are connected and laid in the their sides... two "hump" if you will... that is what the rock looks like underneath NYC. The buildings show you where the "humps" come to the surface.

Your photo shows this beautifully. I used to go up on that range and sit and look out over this scene at night.

woof

03-13-2010, 12:16 PM   #650
Veteran Member

Yes, it's at the south end of Montclair... really nice views. There's a 9/11 memorial there now.
Eagle Rock Reservation - Google Maps
03-13-2010, 08:20 PM   #651
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yes, it's at the south end of Montclair... really nice views.
Eagle Rock... figures. Used to go there a lot as a kid with my parents.

woof!
03-17-2010, 06:17 AM   #652
Veteran Member

One more from the roll of Tri-X rebadged as Arista Premium, in Foma's Xtol clone:

03-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #653
Veteran Member

Nice images guys, i picked up some CN400 today to get familiar with the emulsion again as i'm getting ready for my turn
03-21-2010, 03:12 PM   #654
Veteran Member

A lower manhattan panorama, I stitched maybe 5 frames for this, in vertical orientation. The CVS scanner doesn't keep the same exposure / color balance through out the frames, and I'm too lazy to really fix these...

Alex! I haven't forgotten you, I've just been too busy doing projects around the house. Will call tomorrow afternoon to bring you the sightseer box with the added Tak 28.

03-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #655
Veteran Member

A lower manhattan panorama, I stitched maybe 5 frames for this, in vertical orientation. The CVS scanner doesn't keep the same exposure / color balance through out the frames, and I'm too lazy to really fix these...

Alex! I haven't forgotten you, I've just been too busy doing projects around the house. Will call tomorrow afternoon to bring you the sightseer box with the added Tak 28.

Wow...great photo(s)! I certainly would have screwed that up had i attempted it. reflections...shadows...sky...water.....oh yeah, just a recipe for disaster. I wonder how many rolls of film for me just to get a correctly exposed image :-(
03-22-2010, 09:17 PM   #656
Site Supporter

The SightSeer as been passed . . .

QuoteQuote:
Nesster- Completed
sein06231- Has it . . . 2nd round)
IrishWhite- Up NEXT (1st round)
stevebrot (2nd round)
PortlandPete(1st Round)
St. Louis Area Group- Monochrome (2nd round)
Ratmagiclady (2nd round)
ryan s (2nd round)
Clicker (1st round)
Stevopedia (2nd round)
felix68 (?)
konraDarnok (?)
sasquatch- (?)
lawsonstone- (?)
blue (2nd round)
ismaelg- (2nd round, I can personally deliver it in Mar 2011 )
straightshooter*
woof
03-23-2010, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #657
Veteran Member

please take me off the list..i'm leaving the community.
03-23-2010, 04:19 PM   #658
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Why are you leaving?
Probably this...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/off-brand-camera-discussion-canon-nikon-e...roid-back.html

woof
03-26-2010, 03:56 AM   #659
Veteran Member

One more panorama of Manhattan at sunset... I use the Elements panorama widget, I think there are better ones out there. This is 4 horizontal frames stitched together.
03-26-2010, 12:50 PM   #660
Site Supporter

Nice Panarama!