Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
06-01-2010, 05:07 PM   #721
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have never shoot with a meter less camera and would like to have a chance to try it out with the (Pentax SV).
It would be a good learning experience to really stop and think what could be the “correct exposure” instead of being relied upon the camera build in meter. But of course I am sure I will still need to verify with my ME Super and make sure “my guess is correct” Or just based on the sunny 16 rule. If we ever have a sunny weather here!
I am local to Stevebrot and Portland Pete and could pick up from them.

Thank You.
David

06-05-2010, 08:55 PM   #722
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was out shooting today with the sightseer all day today (we finally got a break in the nasty weather) and was alarmed to have the shutter jam several times. There is film in the camera, but I will give it a thorough look-see when the current roll is done. I suspect that the mirror is sticking.

Steve
06-05-2010, 09:16 PM   #723
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I was out shooting today with the sightseer all day today (we finally got a break in the nasty weather) and was alarmed to have the shutter jam several times. There is film in the camera, but I will give it a thorough look-see when the current roll is done. I suspect that the mirror is sticking.

Steve
Well flip! Keep us posted.
06-08-2010, 09:55 AM   #724
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The Sightseer Goes To Mt. Hood!

Although Multnomah Falls sits at the top of Oregon's top tourist attractions, Mt. Hood and Timberline Lodge are not far down the list. The Sightseer visited the falls and Columbia Gorge last year and made the mountain its first stop on this year's visit.

Mt. Hood From Trillium Lake

Pentax SV, Super-Takumar 55/1.8, Rollei Retro 100 @ ISO 160, FG-7 1:15

Trillium Lake on the mountain's south side offers the classic postcard shot of Mt. Hood. This year's late season snow provides the additional bonus.

Mt. Hood From the White River

Pentax SV, Vivitar 135/2.8 (Komine), Rollei Retro 100 @ ISO 160, FG-7 1:15

A little further to the east, the White River Snopark provides an unobstructed view of the 11,249 foot (3,429m) mountain.

Timberline Lodge

Pentax SV, Super-Takumar 28/3.5, Rollei Retro 100 @ ISO 160, FG-7 1:15

Built in the 1930s at an elevation of almost 6000' (2000m), Timberline Lodge is the most famous attraction on Mt. Hood. Here is a link to the Wikipedia article:
Timberline Lodge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Sorry about the sun flare...)

Timberline Lodge: Main Lounge

A three-sided fireplace dominates this sitting area adjacent to the main dining room. The decorating and furnishings are consistent with the original hand-crafted designs built into the hotel in the beginning.

June Snow at Timberline Lodge

Still plenty of snow even in June. I wanted to get a photo of the lodge with Mt. Hood in the background, but the lighting was too harsh and there was too much parking lot. I decided to make my way to the back side of the lodge hoping for a better shot there and found that that there was major snow away from the cleared area in the front.

Riding the Summer Snow

These guys rode past me on their snowboards as I was walking around Timberline Lodge and I was able to catch the shot. Pity that I had a wide angle on the camera. They were really much closer than it appears! The snow conditions were excellent, particularly for the first week of June.

A Small Trick...Summer Riding at Timberline

Another snowboarder. There was a small jump off to the side and this fellow managed to catch a little air on the way down the mountain.

June Snow Depth at Timberline Lodge

With the snowboarders gone, I made my way further around and took this picture showing just how much snowpack there was. Those are third-story windows.

The Pool at Timberline Lodge

It is my understanding that the pool is available for use by guests year-round.

Mt. Hood From the West

After leaving Timberline, the Sightseer and headed north on forest service roads around the wild west side of the mountain.

I Think They Missed One

Logging is a fact of life in a working forest and that often means "clear cutting" in the Pacific Northwest. This parcel on the north side of Mt. Hood had been cut just a few days before the Sightseer and I drove through. You can see some of the logs stacked on the ground. It is common practice to leave one or two of the more vigorous trees standing to serve as a wild seed source for the next generation of trees. Timber companies are also required to replant after harvest using nursery seedlings.

Patriotic Sasquatch

The Sasquatch legend is a solid piece of Northwest culture. This "chainsaw" solid wood sculpture sets on the porch of the campground store at Lost Lake on the north side of Mt. Hood. Sorry, but I have no postcard pictures of the lake. I had a small disagreement with the resort owners regarding parking permits and the mountain had clouded over anyway.

There are many more pictures to come, assuming that the Sightseer's shutter continues to function. We are supposed to visit the Rose Festival this weekend and also manage a trip to the ocean before passing the camera on to Portland Pete.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-08-2010 at 10:08 AM.
06-08-2010, 10:09 AM   #725
Veteran Member

Fantastic shooting, Steve, you're really using the camera! I like the flare in the lodge shot, and your handling of the lighting conditions proves that (a little exposure) automation is not a good thing! When we are forced to, I think we make better decisions using our own noodles!
06-08-2010, 10:37 AM   #726
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Fantastic shooting, Steve, you're really using the camera! I like the flare in the lodge shot, and your handling of the lighting conditions proves that (a little exposure) automation is not a good thing! When we are forced to, I think we make better decisions using our own noodles!
Thanks for the kind comment. The lighting was difficult for the lodge area photos and the hand-held meter was an asset. Once I decided on a setting, I just had to keep reminding myself that the light really had not changed and that the film has sufficient latitude to maintain detail in both the snow and the low values. Sure enough, the negatives have detail in the full range. Capturing that range on a single pass scan is another matter however .

Probably the most fun of the day was catching the snowboarders as they whizzed past. I saw them coming and figured that I might as well give it a try even though I had the 28mm mounted. I was very pleasantly surprised by the handling on the SV. It was 2++ sweet and so easy to get off several shots in a single rider's pass.

Steve
06-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #727
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Another one from Mt. Hood...

Roof, Timberline Lodge

Pentax SV, Super-Takumar 55/1.8, Rollei Retro 100 @ ISO 160, FG-7 1:15

Steve

06-08-2010, 12:11 PM   #728
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Steve,

What a wonderful series! I like them all but the first one and the Lodge Main Lounge blew me away!
How/What are you scanning with? Scanning has proven my biggest frustration and the reason I am not shooting as much film as I'd like to....

Thanks,
06-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #729
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Steve,

What a wonderful series! I like them all but the first one and the Lodge Main Lounge blew me away!
How/What are you scanning with? Scanning has proven my biggest frustration and the reason I am not shooting as much film as I'd like to....

Thanks,
I have a Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 ED for 35mm film. $$$, but it does the job. For 120 and 4x5, I use an Epson V700. The Epson also does a reasonable job on 35mm at resolutions up to 2400 dpi. I posted some comparison shots between the two scanners here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-processing-printing-software-darkroo...on-images.html
Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-08-2010 at 10:43 PM.
06-08-2010, 04:59 PM   #730
Veteran Member

Steve- Great series! Very inspiring. Look forward to your next series (Rose Festival)!
06-08-2010, 05:49 PM   #731
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Steve,

Your series is B&W at its finest! I REALLY enjoyed your shots.

Thanks for taking and posting those pictures.

-Joe-
06-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #732
Veteran Member

Steve.

This series is nothing short of spectacular...exposures are just bang on. Bravo! I really don't have the words to describe my reaction to these photos. Great location and Timberline Lodge gives a nice sense of scale. Knowing that the snow was up to the third story windows adds another dimension to the narrative and the pool shot gives a nice touch of irony <g>. Really extraordinary job. Hope the Sightseer keeps on chugging - I can hardly wait to see what you can do at the rose festival.

Many thanks,
Kevin
06-08-2010, 08:05 PM   #733
Veteran Member

Wow!! Great series Steve. I am just now about to develop my first B&W roll from my SV and your shots are very inspirational.

Swift1
06-08-2010, 09:21 PM   #734
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have a Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 ED for 35mm film. $$$, but it does the job. For 120 and 4x5, I use an Epson V500. The Epson also does a reasonable job on 35mm at resolutions up to 2400 dpi. I posted some comparison shots between the two scanners here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-processing-printing-software-darkroo...on-images.html
Steve
I thought you had the V700. Those images look pretty good for the SightSeer acting up. How is the shutter doing?
06-08-2010, 10:43 PM   #735
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I thought you had the V700. Those images look pretty good for the SightSeer acting up. How is the shutter doing?
I do have a V700. My mind must have slipped a couple of digits while I was typing. I have edited the comment to be correct. As for the shutter...accuracy seems to be OK. The problems I had with jamming were on the next roll of film which is still in the camera. The symptom goes like this:
  1. Press shutter release
  2. Mirror goes up and nothing else happens (I think)
  3. Camera allows film advance
  4. Press the shutter release again and the mirror comes down
  5. Advance film and try again (two shots wasted...)
This happened to me three times in a five minute period with shutter speed at 1/60s. When I finish out the roll, I will give the shutter a thorough work-through to see if I can reproduce the issue.

On a happier note...I got a couple of small gifts for the Sightseer today. I went down to Knight's Camera here in Vancouver to pick up some processed negatives and a couple of filters I had him order for me. While there I found a second metal Pentax push-on lens cap and an original Asahi leather case for the Super-Takumar 28/3.5. Is that cool or what?

Steve