Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2010, 10:48 PM   #736
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All...Thank you for the kind comments regarding this series of shots. The SV is a pleasure to work with and good tools make for an easier time doing good work.

One thing that I forgot to note about this series is that I used a Y2 (aka K2, aka Wratten #8) filter for all but the lodge interior shot and the tele shot of Mt. Hood. I increased the metered exposure 1 stop to compensate for the filter factor of 2. The yellow filter tends to deepen the sky values and raise foliage values a bit and counters blue-end sensitivity common to most panchromatic films.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-08-2010 at 11:12 PM.
06-10-2010, 02:07 PM   #737
Veteran Member

Yay for those photos, Steve.

Hope Sightseer's feeling better by now. ( I might try offloading and later, reloading that film for starters, btw, you might be able to free it by doing so, or just giving some exercise. )
06-11-2010, 08:45 PM   #738
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Any word from IrishWhite on the Sightseers stop in Philadelphia?

Best,
Kevin

Last edited by KJon; 06-11-2010 at 08:46 PM. Reason: ...there's that damn typing thing again.
06-15-2010, 11:04 PM   #739
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

A few more from the second roll of black and white.

Cold Spring Creek

Pentax SV, Super-Takumar 28/3.5, Rollei Retro 100 @ ISO 160, FG-7 1:15

This small stream, swollen with spring melt water, flows from the east side of Mt. Hood. And no, that is not a hand sticking out of the water at upper center...

Tamanawas Falls, Base

Pentax SV, Super-Takumar 28/3.5, Rollei Retro 100 @ ISO 160, FG-7 1:15

The 28mm was not even close to being wide enough to photograph this large falls on Cold Spring Creek on the east side of Mt. Hood. In case anyone is wondering, this was a very difficult negative to scan. The original light was dim and the foliage is about the same tone as the surrounding rock. I thought I could draw the leaflets out with a yellow filter...wrong. The filter brought the value of the foreground plant up, but too much so with very little detail in the leaves. I had to basically pretzel the curve to get a usable scan.

Cathlapotle Plankhouse, Entrance

Pentax SV, Super-Takumar 55/1.7, Rollei Retro 100 @ ISO 160, FG-7 1:15

True to its tourist mission, the Sightseer took in a bit of native culture at this re-creation of a Chinookan Plankhouse. This is the main door of a large barn-like communal dwelling some 100 feet long. One of about 20 some dwellings in the village that originally occupied this site, a house such as this would have been home to several families. The doorway is the circular opening at center bottom and is a little over 4' high. The plankhouse is used for educational purposes and as a cultural resource for local native peoples.

There are still two rolls of Ektar 100 at the lab being processed, but it is time for the Sightseer to head across the Columbia River to Portland Pete. I will be hand-delivering it to him later this week. While in Vancouver, the camera acquired a nice original type Pentax cap and a most excellent original leather case for the 28mm Super-Tak. Minor surgery was also performed to repair a ding to the filter threads on the 55mm Super-Tak, courtesy of Mike Knight at Knight Camera Repair.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-15-2010 at 11:38 PM.
06-16-2010, 06:09 AM   #740
Veteran Member

Glad to see everything in fine shape, and the Super Tak 28 being properly clad now
06-16-2010, 06:26 AM   #741
Site Supporter

HeadBanger

Steve, Take a portrait of SightSeer with its new "duds" on.

Photo
06-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #742
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The Sightseer is now with Portland Pete.

Steve

06-18-2010, 04:22 AM   #743
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the great work with the Sightseer, Steve and also for posting all the filter details. I came into possession of a ton o' filters with the purchase of an MX. (Unfortunately, mostly for color). I'm interested in using filters w/ my B&Ws and it's nice to get an edjamcashun <erm, education> in their use.

Looking forward to the Ektar shots.

Best,
Kevin
06-19-2010, 07:35 AM   #744
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
While in Vancouver, the camera acquired a nice original type Pentax cap and a most excellent original leather case for the 28mm Super-Tak. Minor surgery was also performed to repair a ding to the filter threads on the 55mm Super-Tak, courtesy of Mike Knight at Knight Camera Repair.
Steve,

The camera went out with an original cap and no ding. So... while the camera is really Blue's at this point, let me just say that I really appreciate your stewardship. Thank you.

Is the manual, half case and light meter still with it?

Seaain
06-19-2010, 08:56 AM   #745
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Steve,

The camera went out with an original cap and no ding. So... while the camera is really Blue's at this point, let me just say that I really appreciate your stewardship. Thank you.

Is the manual, half case and light meter still with it?

Seaain
I think the cap was for the S.T. 28 that Nesster sent out with it. That's a good question on the meter, manual and half case.
06-19-2010, 03:40 PM   #746

Photos: Albums
Sightseer in Portland

As Steve said, I have the sightseer. The manual, meter, meter case, and both lenses are present. The sightseer attended the 3rd Annual Dirdy Birdy 5k mud run at Portland International Raceway last night. I shot about a half roll there, so I think the next stop will be the St John's bridge and Willamette River area to finish it off. Pics to follow.
06-23-2010, 05:52 PM   #747
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Now For Some Local Color

In addition to the B&W, I also put two rolls of Ektar 100 through the sightseer in downtown Portland during Rose Festival. We hit as many of the top tourist attractions as time allowed and the film just came back from the lab today. Here are a couple of the early scans:

"Allow Me"

Pentax SV, Super-Takumar 28/3.5, Ektar 100, Nikon Super Coolmax 5000 ED @ 2000 dpi

At least that is the formal name for this statue at Pioneer Courthouse Square in Portland. Most residents refer to it as the "Umbrella Guy".

Festival of Flowers

Pentax SV, Super-Takumar 28/3.5, Ektar 100, Nikon Super Coolmax 5000 ED @ 2000 dpi

During Portland Rose Festival, the brick pavement at Pioneer Courthouse Square is a mass of colorful flowers

Art Exposed!

This bronze sculpture near Pioneer Courthouse Square in downtown Portland is a local icon made famous by the notorious "Expose Yourself To Art" poster featuring then future mayor Bud Clark. For more information about the statue and the famous poster:

Photographic Image Gallery, On-line Photo Gallery

Steve

(Several more to come...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-23-2010 at 06:01 PM.
06-23-2010, 06:02 PM   #748
Veteran Member

Steve, nice job as always with the Ektar (and the Sightseer). Thanks for the history lesson on Bud Clark - I remember the print, but never knew its origins.

Best,
Kevin
06-23-2010, 07:24 PM   #749
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Down By The River

Next stop was the waterfront on the Willamette River.

Fanciful Floral Floats

Pentax SV, Super-Takumar 28/3.5, Ektar 100, Nikon 5000 ED @ 2000 dpi

The floats from the previous day's Grand Floral Parade were on display by the riverside. The rules for floats stipulate that floral and plant materials be used for all float decorations. This hippo is covered in purple-dyed seeds.

Salmon Street Springs

Pentax SV, Super-Takumar 28/3.5, Ektar 100, Nikon 5000 ED @ 2000 dpi

It was still early in the day and a little on the cool side. In warmer conditions, this fountain is swarming with kids and adults seeking to escape the heat in the ever-changing spray of this fountain.

Dragon Boat Racing

Pentax SV, Vivitar 200/3.5 (Komine), Ektar 100, Nikon 5000 ED @ 2000 dpi

Dragon boat racing on the Willamette is one of the more popular Rose Festival Events. These boats are in contention for 2nd and 3rd place.

Steve
06-24-2010, 08:22 AM   #750
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

On To Saturday Market

The next stop on our Sunday morning tour was Portland Saturday Market. Yes, I know, Saturday Market on Sunday...go figure. Not to be confused with a flea market, the emphasis here is on handcrafted goods. Hippy heaven.

Pentax SV, Super-Takumar 28/3.5, Ektar 100

Artist's Wares

I really liked this vendor's goods. They project a peaceful aura.

Hardware Art

This industrial-grade mosquito is part of a large collection of similar pieces. The artist has been a fixture at Saturday Market for a couple of decades.

Suitable Slogans For Sale

Portland is the town to voice your opinion...no matter how off-beat...and this vendor sells the means to do so.

Steve

(End of roll 1 of 2...)