Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2010, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #751
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Keeping Portland Weird

The Unofficial City Slogan

Pentax SV, Super-Takumar 28/3.5, Ektar 100

Painted on the back wall of the Dante's Inferno nightclub. Dante's (weird in its own right) is directly across the street from Voodoo donuts where about a hundred people were waiting in line to buy bacon maple bars and other unique donut offerings. Voodoo is most famous for an anatomically correct, cream-filled, "adult" confection.

Is Portland weird enough? Ya think?

Chinese Gateway

This ornate gateway arch stands at the entrance to Portland's Chinatown. The vacant lot to the right used to be occupied by one of the sleaziest adult emporiums in the city. Thankfully, it is now gone.

Lion Guard

One of two statues that guard the ornate gateway arch at the entrance to Portland's Chinatown.

Red-Green

These two Chinese restaurants share the same doorway in Portland's Chinatown. The one on the left serves no animal products. The one on the right has roasted ducks and geese in the window and serves very little without meat.

Speedy Unicyclist

I almost did not get this shot. This unicycle with over-sized wheel was traveling at about 25 mph through Portland's Chinatown. Portland is considered to be very bicycle friendly and I guess the same applies to unicycles.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-24-2010 at 05:54 PM.
06-24-2010, 05:39 PM   #752
Site Supporter

Some Buildings

Big Pink

The U.S. Bancorp Tower is affectionately referred to as "Big Pink" by most Portlanders.

Blue Blue Caberet!

This brightly colored entry belongs to a strip club in Portland's Old Town neighborhood.

Main Lawn: Pittock Mansion

The historic Pittock Mansion is preserved for public use as a Portland city park. The house is located on prime property that commands a view of the entire city and lands east to Mt. Hood.

Late Spring Rododendrons: Pittock Mansion

Beautifully planted grounds surround the graceful Pittock Mansion.

Ornate Door

Pentax SV, Super-Takumar 55/1.8, Ektar 100

This doorway provides access from the main parlor of the Pittock Mansion to the stone veranda.

Steve
06-24-2010, 05:46 PM   #753
Site Supporter

Finally...A Few From The Dry Side

Columbia River From Rowena Crest

The semi-arid eastern section of the Columbia River Gorge stands in stark contrast to the green and wet western half.

Old Columbia River Highway

The Old Columbia River Highway as it snakes through the rimrock below Rowena Crest.

Abandoned Homestead

The house and barn in disrepair, this homestead on the edge of the rimrock of the eastern Columbia River Gorge now sits on public land.

Well...That's All Folks! This is the end of the Sightseer pictures from Steve for this year.

Steve
06-24-2010, 08:15 PM   #754
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was waaay premature in my earlier response. I missed the bottom of your earlier post which said there was more to come; that was the understatement of the year. Really enjoyed the whole Portland Sightseer series on Ektar, Steve. Great stuff all the way round and thanks for being such an engaging tour guide.

Best,
Kevin

P. S. B&Ws with the Sightseer were equally great, but this series gives new meaning to "local color".

06-24-2010, 09:09 PM   #755
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote

P. S. B&Ws with the Sightseer were equally great, but this series gives new meaning to "local color".
I wish that I had gotten more pictures of the colorful locals, but I am a little shy for street photography. I saw this guy waiting for the bus who was about 6' 4" and incredibly muscular and shaven. He was bare except for a pair of skimpy shorts, combat boots, and a tiny backpack. No, I did not even think of getting a photo. This boy's momma didn't raise no fool...

As for the colors. I am afraid that most of the shots turned out somewhat underexposed. That is deadly with Ektar and leads to high contrast results with a magenta color shift. You can correct for the shift, but the contrast is sort of nasty.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-24-2010 at 09:16 PM.
06-24-2010, 09:50 PM   #756
Veteran Member

Bravo! Excellent series Steve. Through the B&W and color you have pretty much cover all the interested places in this area. When my turn with the sightseer where else can I go? What else can I capture? Not to mention the bar is setting so high……

David
06-24-2010, 09:57 PM   #757
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IS050 Quote
Bravo! Excellent series Steve. Through the B&W and color you have pretty much cover all the interested places in this area. When my turn with the sightseer where else can I go? What else can I capture? Not to mention the bar is setting so high……

David
You can go to the zoo, the coast, the beach at Sauvie Island (inside joke), the Pearl District, the waterfront esplanade, the convention center, OMSI, the Children's Museum, any of the local farmer's markets, Wednesday evening bike racing at Mt. Tabor, the Washington Park Rose Garden, the Japanese and Chinese Gardens, fish viewing at Bonneville Dam, park concerts, etc., etc., etc..

I think there are a few subjects left for you!

Steve
06-24-2010, 10:04 PM   #758
Site Supporter

...Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Adams, Astoria, various bridges, swimmers at High Rocks, Pacific NW Live Steamers, First Thursday, Last Thursday, etc., etc., etc...

06-24-2010, 11:00 PM   #759
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Voodoo is most famous for an anatomically correct, cream-filled, "adult" confection.

Steve
Wow, a bunch of great shots from that camera/lens. Now, for those of use whom can't read between the lines, you need to spell that donut thing out in plain English.
06-25-2010, 03:14 AM   #760
Veteran Member

What an excellent, masterful series from the travelling kit - you really made the kit sing! I'm happy to see Portland like this.
06-25-2010, 11:56 PM   #761
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
...you need to spell that donut thing out in plain English.
Voodoo Doughnut - The Magic is in the Hole!!!

I think it is about #18 on the list...somewhere below triple chocolate penetration and just above the dirty old bastard.

Steve
06-25-2010, 11:59 PM   #762
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
What an excellent, masterful series from the travelling kit - you really made the kit sing! I'm happy to see Portland like this.

What I like about the Sightseer is that it gives me an excuse to play tourist and then play tour guide with the resulting images. If I do another round next year, I may take the camera and do a few restaurant and nightclub reviews too.

Steve
06-26-2010, 05:27 PM   #763

Photos: Albums
Sorry for not posting earlier, folks. First off, great set, Steve. The sightseer went on patrol with me the other night, then to the Enchanted Forest theme park for my niece's birthday. Tonight we are doing some night work and hopefully I will have something on digits to post soon.
06-27-2010, 11:06 AM   #764
Forum Member

Great work Stevebrot.

sein06231
07-04-2010, 12:40 AM   #765

Photos: Albums
Hello, all. I have some shots on the Flickr group now. If someone can let me know how to link them here, that would be great, as I am about out of attachment space! They are all Fuji Pro 400H, the night shots metered with my K10D and the day shots are Sunny 16. I also have a roll of Plus-X 125 at the shop for scanning. These are Walgreens, with only rotate/crop for a little dutch. Thanks.