Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2011, 09:52 AM   #871
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
visit your optometrist and have your pressures tested annually!

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
...and here for years i thought my eyes were bad and finding the "perfect" glasses was my adventure, so sorry to hear about your predicament and hopefully you can somehow find a way to continue photography.

01-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #872
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Monochrome, sorry to hear about your vision woes. In light of them, I can understand why the Sightseer was pretty low on the priority list. Sincerely wishing you a speedy recovery and sincerely hope live-view enables you to continue shooting. I have a friend who is legally blind who is still one helluva photographer (although everybody's situation is different).

All the best,
Kevin
01-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #873
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you Kevin - there is almost always some kind of a coping mechanism to continue doing anything so long as one accepts limitations. Manually focusing legacy glass might not work any more but some kind of auto focus probably will - then it is a matter is manually composing and controlling exposure - maybe limited to tripod - whatever; we will see.

Thanks again and I should have asked my wife to ship the camera. We just were completely "focused" on the moment since Thanksgiving.

Paul

QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
Monochrome, sorry to hear about your vision woes. In light of them, I can understand why the Sightseer was pretty low on the priority list. Sincerely wishing you a speedy recovery and sincerely hope live-view enables you to continue shooting. I have a friend who is legally blind who is still one helluva photographer (although everybody's situation is different).

All the best,
Kevin
01-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #874
Pentaxian

Hi Paul

An opportunity to explore the best AF glass, perhaps?
Best wishes for a speedy recovery...

Chris

01-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #875
Loyal Site Supporter

Speedy Recovery

Ha - Chris, you are always ready to see the best in any situation!!

Now that the actual surgery has mostly healed we start phase 2. The technology of what they did is truly awesome!

We assess loss of visual fields (acuity, or area of the image that is fuzzy) Wednesday, then make a plan of assessment and recovery. I'll enroll in some courses at St. Louis School for the Blind (a very old name) to teach coping mechanisms for everyday things such as reading, walking safely (look down reflexively since there is little peripheral vision available), stop at the top of steps, etc. They will determine whether I should drive at night and suggest things such as changing the mouse pointer on a computer to black and large. It is amazing how many learned things can be re-learned to get around limitations.

Maybe there will be some discussion of photography!

Paul

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Hi Paul

Chris
01-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #876
Pentaxian

Hey, Monochrome. Very sorry to hear about your eye woes, but I was worried about you. Certainly don't worry about the Sightseer being late: (Got your PM, btw, thought I'd finished posting this earlier, but I got distracted, I guess. )

Very best wishes for your sight's recovery. I'm sure there'll be ways to do *something* photographic if you like, even if it may be different. Maybe elevate the medium of Ipad photography if the close-in vision stays problematic, or something.

(Hey, I wonder if you could slave a digital microscope camera to an good sized LCD for arm's length viewing, adapt it to a Pentax eyepiece, and viola: Pentax MX with Live View. It's an age of tech wonders. )

Anyhow, hope we'll continue to see you around, and all goes well. And if there's one thing we'll all be keen to help with, it's the technical stuff.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 01-09-2011 at 06:37 PM.
01-09-2011, 06:36 PM   #877
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Gwen! Great excuse to buy an iPad - haven't had that one shot down yet!

I'll be around - if I'm typing I'm thinking. If I'm thinking I'm thinking about shooting. I just have to think about letting go of glass.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Hey, Monochrome. Very sorry to hear about your eye woes, but I was worried about you. Certainly don't worry about the Sightseer being late: (Got your PM, btw, thought I'd finished posting this earlier, but I got distracted, I guess. )

Very best wishes for your sight's recovery. I'm sure there'll be ways to do *something* photographic if you like, even if it may be different. Maybe elevate the medium of Ipad photography if the close-in vision stays problematic, or something.

(Hey, I wonder if you could slave a digital microscope camera to an good sized LCD for arm's length viewing, adapt it to a Pentax eyepiece, and viola: Pentax MX with Live View. It's an age of tech wonders. )

Anyhow, hope we'll continue to see you around, and all goes well.
01-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #878
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Monochrome,
So very sorry to hear about this. I hope you can recover as much of your vision as possible. One of my biggest fears is damage to my vision, and I think it would be stressful for any photographer. Please feel better.

All the best,
Patrick

01-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #879
Site Supporter

Monochrome,

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Regards,
01-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #880

Photos: Albums
aww im really interested in getting to use this SV... :/
01-10-2011, 07:03 PM   #881
Loyal Site Supporter

The camera was shipped to Gwen this morning.

QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
Monochrome,
So very sorry to hear about this. I hope you can recover as much of your vision as possible. One of my biggest fears is damage to my vision, and I think it would be stressful for any photographer. Please feel better.

All the best,
Patrick
Thank you Patrick. I believe this will all work out. Last time I learned how to shoot left-eye. DK what I'll change this time, but I'll change something.
Too bad K64 is really gone.

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Monochrome,

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Regards,
Thank you.
01-11-2011, 08:53 AM   #882
Pentaxian

OK, Monochrome: I see the tracking's got it.

I expect Sightseer might take a while to get through: it appears the mail-carriers will not be having too easy a time of it this week with the backup and aftereffects of the weather: It doesn't look like the snow and ice on most of the residential roads is going anywhere for quite a while, here. Not even sure if they're trying to deliver today.

Anyway, they happen to be a really good post office here, so I wouldn't be shocked if they are caught up in short order, but don't be worried if it takes a while.
01-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #883
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Hi Paul

Chris
So sell EVERYTHING and start over with the three FA Limiteds. If I had done that in the first place . . .
01-12-2011, 04:48 AM   #884
Veteran Member

Paul, I'm sorry to hear of the eye troubles - yet, I think there's always a way in the things we love (and everything else is a pain in the arse anyhow)...

I'd go all 120 film box cameras and folders - nothing with a focus aid. As long as the blobs arrange themselves approximately right, who needs the damn fine focus anyhow

Here's one from the sightseer from my turn, Fuji 160S and Tamron-f 35/2.8 (I wish I'd used the Super Tak 28 I sent to sightsee with the camera instead, as this Tamron isn't their best...)

01-12-2011, 12:25 PM   #885
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Paul, I'm sorry to hear of the eye troubles - yet, I think there's always a way in the things we love (and everything else is a pain in the arse anyhow)...
Yep! Something will work out - that's my approach anyway, rather than anger and frustration at whatever is the loss eventually. Had a check-in with the opthalmologist this morning and she asked about photography. She expects full (correctable) recovery. I should specifiy Pentax brand eyeglass lenses!

I guess I'll need new SMC Correction Lens Adapters for M and K bodies - an excuse to buy someting new that is old

I'd go all 120 film box cameras and folders - nothing with a focus aid. As long as the blobs arrange themselves approximately right, who needs the damn fine focus anyhow
That might be fun whatever happens! Or back to age 5 with a Brownie?

Here's one from the sightseer from my turn, Fuji 160S and Tamron-f 35/2.8 (I wish I'd used the Super Tak 28 I sent to sightsee with the camera instead, as this Tamron isn't their best...)
As always, beautiful!!