Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2009, 02:33 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by felix68 Quote
How is it that I can take 37 shots of Plus-X and consider 5-6 shots no good but take the same 37 shots with the K100D and have 5-6 keepers? Funny how that works!
I was doing some experimentation so I wasn't expecting gold. If the digital images would have been decent, I would have retaken them with film. Crazy

01-27-2009, 03:24 PM   #77

The "get-some-film-developed-and-see-what-happens" is good advice and I'll do just that, Seaain. I've got a feeling that everything's alright with the SV though.

And I'll be shipping out via USPS, so no worries there!
02-01-2009, 08:00 PM   #78

News, news and more news: mostly good, but some not-so-great:

The negative first: I somehow managed to forget to put the half-softcase that the SV arrived in back in the box when I shipped it out (honestly I'm not much one for softcases, so I took it off when I got it.) But it's really embarrassing that I left it out. felix68, do you want me to send it off to you? I can do that easily.

Oh, and I got my film developed, all three rolls that I shot. Honestly two are crap (my fault), but the third roll... It's been a day since I got it back, and I'm still drooling over it. I dunno if it's the Takumar or what, but it's still some of the best stuff I've ever done with a camera. It's AMAZING. Just incredible. I'll post results here and in the flickr group.

Still, all in all, the SV was a major treat, and I'm glad I had the opportunity to use it. Thanks, Seaain!
02-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #79
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stevopedia Quote

Oh, and I got my film developed, all three rolls that I shot. Honestly two are crap (my fault), but the third roll... It's been a day since I got it back, and I'm still drooling over it. I dunno if it's the Takumar or what, but it's still some of the best stuff I've ever done with a camera. It's AMAZING. Just incredible. I'll post results here and in the flickr group.
Sorry to hear about the first two rolls. Looking forward to the third. Yes, the quality you see should ultimately be the Takumar, but those simple, elegant old bodies have something to do with it oo I think.

Seriously though, all the glory goes to the f/1.4 50mm Takumar, most of which are yellowed anyway. But the f/1.8 55mm is as good and probably actually superior. No yellowing either. I love that lens.

Still, all in all, the SV was a major treat, and I'm glad I had the opportunity to use it. Thanks, Seaain!
You are more than welcome. I can't wait to see the results. This beats the heck out of sending that camera off to eBay and getting pretty much nothing for it. Ha!

Seaain.

02-01-2009, 08:44 PM   #80
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote

Seriously though, all the glory goes to the f/1.4 50mm Takumar, most of which are yellowed anyway. But the f/1.8 55mm is as good and probably actually superior. No yellowing either. I love that lens.

That's good to here considering I have 2 55mm f1.8 super taks and an SMC version. I have had the 1 super tak for about 11 years and inherited the SMC. I recently got another with an SV.

I never seem to be able to land the SMC 50mm f1.4. The fact that I have these keeps me from paying an insane price for a 50.
02-01-2009, 09:23 PM   #81

Soft Case

News, news and more news: mostly good, but some not-so-great:

The negative first: I somehow managed to forget to put the half-softcase that the SV arrived in back in the box when I shipped it out (honestly I'm not much one for softcases, so I took it off when I got it.) But it's really embarrassing that I left it out. felix68, do you want me to send it off to you? I can do that easily.

Stevopedia - You can just sent the bottom of the soft case when you get a chance. I probably wouldn't have used it much either so no big deal to me. I would like to have it included when I send it off to the next lucky recipient.
02-02-2009, 07:02 AM   #82
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by felix68 Quote
Stevopedia - You can just sent the bottom of the soft case when you get a chance. I probably wouldn't have used it much either so no big deal to me. I would like to have it included when I send it off to the next lucky recipient.

Right. Don't stress. It would be nice if it hooks up with the camera eventually. It's actually an inexpensive 60's after market, so I don't care all that much. Just a little better padding for shipping.

woof!

02-02-2009, 09:34 AM   #83
Veteran Member

Well, I think I'm near in line, if someone wants to send the case along ahead to me here, it can meet the camera when that gets here.

Or, it could go back home, if no one's attached to using it.
02-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #84
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Well, I think I'm near in line, if someone wants to send the case along ahead to me here, it can meet the camera when that gets here.

Or, it could go back home, if no one's attached to using it.
I'm not going to use it either.
02-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #85
Site Supporter

I will keep the "Traveling SV" for less than the allotted amount of time since I now have one. I'll promptly shoot a roll and get it back in circulation.
02-02-2009, 06:53 PM   #86

Hey gang,

I got the best of my stuff up now. 14 keepers out of a roll of 24... not bad, eh? But it's only one roll out of three. Oh well. Fuji Superia 400, all taken with the Super Tak 55/1.8 that came attached to the SV.

Link to the set: Sightseeing Screwmount - a set on Flickr

The scans turned out really noisy/grainy, by the way. Is that grain I'm seeing, or low-res scan noise?
02-02-2009, 07:51 PM   #87
Site Supporter

Hey gang,

. . .

The scans turned out really noisy/grainy, by the way. Is that grain I'm seeing, or low-res scan noise?

Did you scan the negatives or prints?
02-02-2009, 07:51 PM   #88
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hey gang,
I got the best of my stuff up now. 14 keepers out of a roll of 24... not bad, eh? But it's only one roll out of three. Oh well. Fuji Superia 400, all taken with the Super Tak 55/1.8 that came attached to the SV.
It does not look like exposure or mechanical was an issue. Personally, I think that two rolls getting used to the camera and meter, followed by a roll with better than 50% keepers is pretty darned good. You nailed these exposures.

I really like this set. It reminds me of many of the year book photos I took back in the day. I'm glad you shot color. I am actually fairly impressed with that film. Pretty good for people indoors, no flash it seems. That film is not as good in bright sunlight. The grain starts to take on random color and really does start to look like noise. For outdoors, Fuji Reala 100 tends to be my choice.

I am guessing it is grain. It could be grain enhanced by artifacts in some cases.

I tried to look at Ashley closely. There do seems to be some artifacts in there.

The scan isn't quite big enough to be sure, but in the areas above her, it looks mostly like grain. There are tighter grained films, but this is not too, too bad. I take it you did not do the prints yet? Try printing these from the negatives. If there is grain, it's grain. Heh...

I personally think these are very good for relatively low light and higher ASA. The grain structure is pretty good, and the color is very good. Exposures are perfect and I love the one of Chelsie, Jesse, Ashley, Paisley, You...

And that leather camera case... perfect. Exactly the right vintage....

Nice job and thanks! You are welcome to get back on the list....

Seaain
02-02-2009, 08:42 PM   #89

Blue, these were done by Walgreens, and I assume that these are neg scans, especially considering that the prints look simply awful in comparison to the scans (really muddy). But I like grain, and the grain in these is pleasant.

Seaain, to be honest, the first two rolls are bad mainly because of composition (lack of interesting subjects because I was snowed in most of the time) and trying too hard. Yes, these were all taken with ambient light. The meter works brilliantly too.

And thanks for the kind words, Seaain. It does a lot of good for a young photographer who's still proving himself... to himself
02-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #90

Got the Sightseeing Screwmount

To my surprise, I received the package from Stevopedia today. That was quick! Everything is in good order (minus the half case as stated earlier) so I am planning a trip to San Francisco this weekend.
I really like the color shots that you posted Stevopedia, well done! I am probably going a different route and picking up some Plus-X for the day and Tri-X to push at night. Stay tuned!