Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2011, 04:24 AM   #961
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nesster, thanks for confirming the 28mm hitch hiker. Also good to know you speak Malay. If I ever need anything translated, you'll be the first guy I call ;-).

Best,
Kevin

08-24-2011, 05:07 AM   #962
Veteran Member

LOL now that's strange! Finnish is my other language.

Suomea puhun, en Malayta
09-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #963
Veteran Member

Update to all interested parties: The Sightseer arrived in Hartford today between 3pm and 4pm. Despite being marginally harassed by a few overzealous TSA agents and a little insulted at having to take off his/her shoes, the Sightseer is in good spirits and looking forward to spending some time in scenic New England.

Best to all,
Kevin
09-02-2011, 03:14 PM   #964
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
woo hooooo!

HeadBanger

Photo

09-03-2011, 10:59 AM   #965
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
Update to all interested parties: The Sightseer arrived in Hartford today between 3pm and 4pm. Despite being marginally harassed by a few overzealous TSA agents and a little insulted at having to take off his/her shoes, the Sightseer is in good spirits and looking forward to spending some time in scenic New England.

Best to all,
Kevin
I'm pretty convinced she's a girl, btw. Sorry about the additional RML-generated delays, everyone... by the time Canada Post got sorted, I was neck-deep-to-over-my head in various challenges. I'll hopefully be more or less sorted, at least for the time being, soon.
09-03-2011, 05:32 PM   #966
Veteran Member

After shooting a few frames out at my parents for my mother's 71st birthday, I'm pretty convinced, too. My gut told me to go with the female pronoun and my head had me second-guess myself. It won't happen again <g>.

Hope to have something to post by the end of next week. In preparation I was playing with my dad's Weston Universal Lightmeter (Model 715) ca. 1936 and getting mixed readings depending on where it was aimed. Compared to readings on my K10D, it has its own idiosyncracies (as does the Sekonic that's tagging along with the Sightseer. I don't know that I'm ready to trust either of the handheld meters in and of itself. I've read both meter manuals and think I have a pretty good grip on how to use them both, at least from a mechanical standpoint. We'll see how we're doing by the end of the week. In the meanwhile, I'm going to take along the K10D as a backup meter. May shoot a few frames meterless just to see where my "chops" are at.

Best to all,
Kevin
09-03-2011, 05:59 PM   #967
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow... the SV is within driving distance... hard to believe that it went out the door in January of 2009, nearly two years ago now...

Woof!
09-03-2011, 07:40 PM   #968
Veteran Member

Woof, I had the same thought, which is one of the reasons I didn't jump on board earlier. That being said, I think Nesster's right - shooting the Sightseer is going to be a very real catalyst to getting my own SV up and running. Hard to believe I've been contemplating the repair for two years, but there's always been something ahead in line and unfortunately, money doesn't grow on trees <g>. I mean, I had to buy the Tammy 70-200mm f2.8 to shoot those weddings, and a SuperProgram that had to go to Eric, and I had to buy that Kodak Retina IIa that fell into my lap from Craigslist and oh, yeah, the Accord needed a set of tires, and and and and and and there was that ZX-5n from Woof on the marketplace (which I'm having a really good time with, BTW).

Upshot is, I'm running out of excuses. I just gotta get my SV fixed. In the meanwhile, I'm looking forward to shooting a couple rolls of film through the Sightseer this week.

Best,
Kevin

09-07-2011, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #969
Veteran Member

The Sightseer sends her greetings from scenic Hartford, Connecticut!

Pentax SV, SuperTakumar 55 f1.8, Ektar

Pentax K10D, FA35 f2

Weather here has been ghastly for the past two days...rainy and wet with more of the same due tomorrow, so it's a good thing I pressed the Sightseer into immediate service. As I mentioned above, the Sightseer arrived Friday afternoon and was champing at the bit to go to work. Saturday was my mother's birthday and so we prepared a "picnic" (marinated steak dinner with all the trimmings replete with fancy paper plates and a zotsy ice cream cake) and went to the folks to enjoy the festivities...

Pentax SV, SuperTakumar 55 f1.8, Ultramax 400

Here's a shot of me with my dad at the controls...

and one I took of the birthday girl...

After a lovely day at home with the family, plans were made for the next day to go and see the city...

Best to all,
Kevin
09-07-2011, 03:32 PM   #970
Site Supporter

HeadBanger
09-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #971
Veteran Member

The City

The 'burbs are nice and so are birthday parties, but the Sightseer (and I) have a thing for history, art, and architecture, so it was off to Hartford for some of all three...

A Pair of (Dry) Fountains in front of City Hall

Struck me funny that while both fountains were installed at exactly the same time, one has so much more patina than the other.

Swords into Plowshares - a physical manifestation of one of my favorite quotes. This piece of public art is in front of City Hall. You can see Calder's Stegosaurus in the background.

Alexander Calder's Stegosaurus (on the Burr Mall between The Wadsworth Athenaeum and City Hall; the defunct Hartford Times Building lies behind)

The Hartford Times (for many years, Hartford's afternoon paper. As far as I know, no one has found a use for this beautiful building). The facade has an amazing mosaic behind the columns that I have yet to successfully capture on film or digital.

The Traveler's Tower shot through Calder's Stegosaurus. (For a time, the tallest building in New England. Not my time, but a time <g>).

I hope you like this building because you'll be seeing it again. Not sure why, but I'm not a little obsessed with it.

Best to all,
Kevin
09-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #972
Veteran Member

Kevin, it makes me glad to see the sightseer pics! and you, nice to see you... and your mom's a hottie
09-07-2011, 03:46 PM   #973
Veteran Member

Thanks, Nesster...you'll make both mom and me blush. She was 71 years young on Saturday <g>.

Best,
Kevin

P. S. I love how my dad got my right foot bang in focus
09-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #974
Veteran Member

The City, continued

A few more from day 2...

Lions?

These may be familiar to those of you who follow the "Show Us Your Film Shots" thread as I've shot them before in B&W, but I have a great story that goes with them. When I processed the B&Ws an older woman came into the shop when I was picking up the prints and saw them. She excused herself and asked "Are those the lions in front of City Hall?" I answered in the affirmative and she went on to say that when she was a girl, her father worked in City Hall, sometimes on Saturdays and he would bring her with the office and she would play on the lions. She then admitted that she had given them names. I had to ask, "What did you name them?" She then said,"It was so long ago.", as if to imply that she had forgotten. I pressed her a little and she said, "I named them Larry and Clyde," So ladies and genteman, I give you Larry and Clyde

Church of the Good Shepherd (founded in 1868 by the widow of Samuel Colt, another one of my obsessions...the Church, not the widow <g>)

Monuments

I'm embarassed to say I'm not sure what these monuments are about. I remember reading about the project, but am unable to recall the finer points. The stones are inscribed with epitaphs written by victims of gang violence.

Back of the Parish House

Parish House Facade

Not only did Mrs. Colt outlive her husband, but she also outlived her son and dedicated the Parish House to his memory

Best to all,
Kevin
09-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #975
Veteran Member

SSSM Day 3 - Ektar!

For the next several frames, I elected to use the SuperTakumar 28mm f3.5

Colt Factory and Dome

Pentax SV, SuperTakumar 28 f3.5, Ektar

Anyone who has traveled I-91 through Hartford has seen the iconic blue dome. It sits atop what was the factory that made Colt firearms (and paid for The Church of the Good Shepherd, among other things). I teach in a building adjacent to this one.

A view of the new Convention Center (on the right), the Marriott Hotel, and Science Center sandwiched in between the two...

I told you that you'd be seeing this building again...

The Traveler's Tower

The Phoenix Insurance Company Building (Known to everyone as "The Ship Building")

Travelers' Tower Reflected in some Post-modern Monstrosity

Best to all,
Kevin