Photos: Gallery
SSSM Day 3 - Ektar cont.

Stairway to Constitution Plaza, Phoenix Building on the right

Pentax SV, SuperTakumar 28 f3.5, Ektar

Travelers' Tower from the other side

The Old State House

Ship Building Aahhh, I get it now...see, it looks like a ship.

The new Connecticut Science Center (I have some interesting digital shots of this building while under construction)

Looking back on the City from the River (If ya got a wide angle lens, ya may as well go wide...)

Best to all,
Kevin

09-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #977
Veteran Member

Still more SSSM Pentax goodness

Hartford Steam Boiler from the bridge...

As the shooting wound down and I headed back to my car, I put the SuperTakumar 55 f1.8 back on the sightseer to shoot one of Hartford's most famous residents

Mark Twain

Pentax SV, SuperTakumar 55 f1.8, Ektar

Winged Victory, WWI Memorial, Bushnell Park

State Capitol Dome

Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Arch (coming up on its 125th Anniversary)

The Gold Building from Bushnell Park

I hope you enjoyed the tour of Hartford as much as the Sightseer seemed to. These were the photographs. I'm still trying to sort out the experience. I'm sure as I continue to digest my impressions of the camera, I'll have a few words to post as well <g>.

Thanks for taking the time to look at my fair city,
Kevin

Last edited by KJon; 09-07-2011 at 05:49 PM.
09-07-2011, 07:07 PM   #978
Veteran Member

I am overwhelmed by these fantastic photos and wished the modern DSLR were that good. If Sightseer would ever cross the 49th parallel, I wouldn't mind trying my hand on her although I've never used any pre-1990s camera.
09-08-2011, 07:24 AM   #979
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by violini Quote
I am overwhelmed by these fantastic photos and wished the modern DSLR were that good. If Sightseer would ever cross the 49th parallel, I wouldn't mind trying my hand on her although I've never used any pre-1990s camera.
This is an early SV which makes it a pre-1965, pre-spotmatic camera. Canada still isn't out of the realm of possibilities but we ran into a block with the postal strike and that got us behind this summer.

09-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #980
Pentaxian

Great work with the SightSeer Kevin!
09-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #981
Veteran Member

Thanks, Colton. Considering the source, I'll take that as high praise indeed . I'm still putting my thoughts together about the experience, but I have to mention two things; the SuperTaks are indeed SUPER. I'm loving those lenses (55mm f1.8 and the 28mm f3.5) and I'm in love with the prints my buddy Ed delivered from the negatives. The scans look a little "hot", but the prints are indeed a thing of beauty. I can't say enough about the quality of work he does. It is absolutely first-rate. There's another thread going about pro lab scans vs. drugstore and, at least in my neck of the woods, there's no comparison. Secondly I would urge people to print their photos. Yeah, it costs a ton and yeah, it eats up a lot of space around the house, but if you're liking these Sightseer pics, you should really see the prints. Ed should really bottle whatever Pixie dust he sprinkles on my photos - he'd be a millionaire rather than just getting by.

@violini, this thread is one of the more remarkable on the forums. There are amazing photos from everywhere the Sightseer has been and everyone has been so generous in showing their own corner of the world. Of course, none of us posted the "dogs" <g>. I won't tell you how many shots I took of the Colt dome to get it where I wanted it to be. (But it was a lot).

Best to all,
Kevin
09-13-2011, 07:20 PM   #982
Forum Member

Great work and those lovely pictures. Thans Kevin.
09-13-2011, 08:05 PM   #983
Veteran Member

Kevin, Nice series of photos with the sightseer! Beautiful, sharp, perfect exposure, well done!

David

09-13-2011, 08:44 PM   #984
Veteran Member

After reading this thread, I immediately jump over to K-5 forum, "No More Test, Just Picture". I am happy that I resisted to throw in $1,200 for the most advanced Pentax APS-C. I am thinking perhaps I should spend $12 for SV and $60 for 55mm/1.8 some one is selling here.
09-14-2011, 04:31 AM   #985
Veteran Member

@Dave and sein06231, thanks for the kind words from my fellow Sightseer shooters <holy alliteration, batman>. Everyone in this thread set the bar pretty high and showed what's possible with the SV.

@violini, if you go the SV route instead of the K5, spend some of those saved dollars on a modern lightmeter <g>.

Best,
Kevin
09-16-2011, 09:52 AM   #986
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
@Dave and sein06231, thanks for the kind words from my fellow Sightseer shooters <holy alliteration, batman>. Everyone in this thread set the bar pretty high and showed what's possible with the SV.

@violini, if you go the SV route instead of the K5, spend some of those saved dollars on a modern lightmeter <g>.

Best,

Kevin

09-16-2011, 06:58 PM   #987
Pentaxian

Hey, Sightseer photos. Time seemed to fly. I guess I should, like, do those negs, what there are of them, now that things are re-settling.

Excellent lions, those.
09-17-2011, 03:56 AM   #988
Veteran Member

Thanks, Ratmagiclady. Glad you liked Larry & Clyde and looking forward to your Sightseer shots.

Best,
Kevin

P. S. You're right about time flying...
11-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #989
Loyal Site Supporter

Too Late to Join?

Stevebrot recommended that I try this camera on a different thread. I'll spend a little time reading the posts to get a better feel for this over the weekend but I would love to get involved if it isn't too late. Let me know what I can do to help out and also if it is possible to get on the list.

Thank you much.
11-11-2011, 07:28 PM   #990
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Stevebrot recommended that I try this camera on a different thread. I'll spend a little time reading the posts to get a better feel for this over the weekend but I would love to get involved if it isn't too late. Let me know what I can do to help out and also if it is possible to get on the list.

Thank you much.
I tell you what Pioneer, I will add you to the list and since you are new, I will move you up the list. Contact KJon via PM to exchange information and cc me on it. I have been a bit behind around here. My father got sick in early Sep and passed away a few weeks ago.