Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #886
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I should specifiy Pentax brand eyeglass lenses!

I guess I'll need new SMC Correction Lens Adapters for M and K bodies - an excuse to buy someting new that is old
I have Hoya, and yes, the multi coating on them gives green flare just like the 43 Ltd

01-13-2011, 06:38 AM   #887
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yep! Something will work out - that's my approach anyway, rather than anger and frustration at whatever is the loss eventually. Had a check-in with the opthalmologist this morning and she asked about photography. She expects full (correctable) recovery. I should specifiy Pentax brand eyeglass lenses!
Woowoo! That's some good news, anyway.

Sightseer seems to be among the backlog from the storm, unsurprisingly. (Still ice everywhere, from the melt-freeze cycles and general lack of anyone doing anything about it (Had to go out and bust up ice on the hill with a metal bar, myself, was tired of watching pedestrians nearly get taken out. Oof, by the way. ) But the mail's getting through on this end now.
01-15-2011, 08:23 AM   #888
Veteran Member

Hey, looks like Sightseer's going to make it here today... Not too bad of a delay, all in all, (Compared to how generally-expeditious the incoming mail is, here, anyway. Can't take points off for them *usually* being much quicker than many places I've been. )

I, however, am being a bit laid up with a cold and all manner of aches and ows from busting up the ice in the untended road earlier this week with what I presume was once a grounding rod or canopy stake. (People were nearly getting taken out by sliding SUV's and the like, not to mention having some difficulty walking. Had to do*something.* But ow. )

Anyway, I'm not sure I'll be getting out today, but I'm thinking about what film to use. Since my scanning operation is so slow and clunky, I've been planning to splurge a little on sending out for some processing with scans, (thus C-41, I think.)

Thought I might take the occasion to try some of that Ultramax I've been liking some of what I see here with it, or maybe pick up some of the BW400CN, (cause I'm not in a very color-photo-mood so far this month ) ...I've also got some random Fuji around. Anyway, wondering if anyone who does a decent job of the scanning, nothing too fancy, especially if I go with the black and white. Dwayne's, maybe? Adorama's service?

Update: Yep, Sightseer's here, apparently all safe and sound.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 01-15-2011 at 11:34 AM.
01-20-2011, 07:50 PM   #889
Veteran Member

Ok, git to a shootin' RML !!! I think the ole' Sightseer needs some action !! haha

01-21-2011, 04:27 AM   #890
Veteran Member

Actually, for 35mm film, a CVS in Hoboken does better work quicker and cheaper than Dwayne's -- I haven't been overly impressed by Dwayne's scans as they suffer from the usual over sharpened overly contrasty disease...

And really, we are famished for some Sightseer pics and I for one want to see the RML enviorns
01-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #891
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I recently had a back log of Fujicolor developed. I have a few shots from my time with the sightseer (I hadn't had color done in month, and wouldn't have, but a friend wanted one of the rolls developed, I said I didn't know which roll it was, and they offered to pay for half the lot, so...)
Anyways, I'm going to do some scans in the next few days. Then we'll have some more pictures.
01-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #892
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Actually, for 35mm film, a CVS in Hoboken does better work quicker and cheaper than Dwayne's -- I haven't been overly impressed by Dwayne's scans as they suffer from the usual over sharpened overly contrasty disease...

And really, we are famished for some Sightseer pics and I for one want to see the RML enviorns
I'll try and get out there ASAP: I really did a number on myself with that ice-busting thing, (My hands and shoulders in particular really did not appreciate that jarring) so I've been catching up on other things for a few days and getting some strength back. More or less recovered, though. Currently looking around a bit bewildered about, 'Now, what was I doing before all that, again? '

Checked out the 28mm, though. If only to discover, 'Wow, I totally can't focus this 3.5 lens in really dim light.' (You wonder why I've been such a fast-lens fiend, coming from manual focus and all. But this is why I had to grudgingly-admit that the ol' Miranda wasn't doing it for me, when I was a wittle photog. The finder just wasn't up to scratch. Which in a way only makes you appreciate an SV: it's not high-tech, but it's quality, by comparison.

*test-firing.* Hrm. We have a hangup, here. Shutter will not fire when the lenses are set for auto-stopdown: the mirror locks up and it all hangs: after a few moments you can hit the shutter again and it resets, but the shutter never opens in this process, and you have to advance again. (Am I forgetting something, here?) Manual aperture seems to function OK, and the pin-pushing flapper seems to move fine.

Might be a weak spring or something somewhere in the mechanism, or maybe it's about lube, the humidity changes down here seem to make intermittent stuff happen. Was Sightseer CLA'ed somewhere along the way, just trying to remember?

Someone pester me to mix chemistry, though!

01-21-2011, 02:00 PM   #893
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know it doesn't qualify as SSS - but I plan to take the K & AutoTak 55/1.8 out for a walk (may be just around the house; -5 outsidetoday). I'll link the album here.
01-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #894
Veteran Member

Haha. Improvement. After a bit of rest-exercise-rest, we're *mostly* firing with auto aperture. I think we're looking at a lube-involved thing: this feels like what I get with a few of my cameras here when a humidity-swing gets wicked dry.

(My skin's been a bit paper-like on my hands for a couple of days here, so I *think* this means Sightseer isn't really in big trouble, just feeling his age a bit. )

Anyway, that's cool, Monochrome. Out and shooting.

As for me, definitely get on me about the general mix-soup-and-do-film-already-you-RML-you. I think I'll put in a roll of whatever film might make up an even tank and do a test before I mess with C-41.

As for the environs, yikes, but I'm bored with the usual haunts. I'll have to like spread out or something for the occasion.

(Addendum: the problem seems to be connected to the half-step of X-sync between 1/60 and 1/30 of a second. Something about the slow-speed shutter timing?)

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 01-21-2011 at 07:03 PM.
01-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #895
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
. Shutter will not fire when the lenses are set for auto-stopdown: the mirror locks up and it all hangs: after a few moments you can hit the shutter again and it resets, but the shutter never opens in this process, and you have to advance again. (Am I forgetting something, here?) Manual aperture seems to function OK, and the pin-pushing flapper seems to move fine.

Might be a weak spring or something somewhere in the mechanism, or maybe it's about lube, the humidity changes down here seem to make intermittent stuff happen. Was Sightseer CLA'ed somewhere along the way, just trying to remember?
The Sightseer was having intermittent lock-up problems when it was with me this last summer. I think I detailed the issue is a previous post. I will post the link if I can find it.

Edit: Here is the link where I detail the symptoms:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/45892-sightsee...ml#post1070958

Steve
01-21-2011, 07:45 PM   #896
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The Sightseer was having intermittent lock-up problems when it was with me this last summer. I think I detailed the issue is a previous post. I will post the link if I can find it.

Edit: Here is the link where I detail the symptoms:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/45892-sightsee...ml#post1070958
Steve
IIRC we talked about sending the Sightseer to Eric but I don't think we ever did. Clearly I never had a roll of film through the camera as discussed and I didn't dry-fire it either.

I would underwrite that if necessary, though, in support of the thread and Eric.
01-21-2011, 09:08 PM   #897
Veteran Member

Cool. These are the same symptoms.

I think I can feel what may be happening in here, making some guesses about what the mechanisms are like inside: I think what's happening is the problem's somewhere to do with what cocks the slow-speeds and fast-speeds: (I'm guessing here that there are two separate mechanisms connected to the same dial and that the slow-speed release isn't being cocked properly or isn't able to trip for some other reason. That'd probably mean a worn part in there, if I'm right. I've never been into one of these, though. And I don't know what it has to do with the auto-aperture mechanism: what seems clear is that the problem only starts when you shoot at X or 1/30 of a second with the lens switched to auto. Once that happens it may take a shot or two at a higher speed to clear the problem up. Maybe if Eric comes on he can tell us if I've got it right, but it seems I can prevent the problem from occurring if I stay off auto aperture+those speeds. )
01-21-2011, 10:17 PM   #898
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Cool. These are the same symptoms.

I think I can feel what may be happening in here, making some guesses about what the mechanisms are like inside: I think what's happening is the problem's somewhere to do with what cocks the slow-speeds and fast-speeds: (I'm guessing here that there are two separate mechanisms connected to the same dial and that the slow-speed release isn't being cocked properly or isn't able to trip for some other reason. That'd probably mean a worn part in there, if I'm right. I've never been into one of these, though. And I don't know what it has to do with the auto-aperture mechanism: what seems clear is that the problem only starts when you shoot at X or 1/30 of a second with the lens switched to auto. Once that happens it may take a shot or two at a higher speed to clear the problem up. Maybe if Eric comes on he can tell us if I've got it right, but it seems I can prevent the problem from occurring if I stay off auto aperture+those speeds. )
My suspicions are pretty close to yours. There is a timing issue between the shutter/mirror/cocking that seems to be worse with the slow speeds (IIRC). I remember showing Portland Pete how to reliably reproduce the issue, but don't remember the details now or if there was a workaround.

Steve
01-22-2011, 05:34 PM   #899
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My suspicions are pretty close to yours. There is a timing issue between the shutter/mirror/cocking that seems to be worse with the slow speeds (IIRC). I remember showing Portland Pete how to reliably reproduce the issue, but don't remember the details now or if there was a workaround.

Steve
Well, the simplest workaround is manual aperture: that *always* works, so far as I can tell. It only ever happens when it's both set to stop down and is also on one of the offending shutter speeds.

Been planning on loading up tomorrow, perhaps, seeing what I get, if the pattern holds. Could always send along to Eric afterwards, or whatnot.
02-19-2011, 06:26 AM   #900
Veteran Member

Hey, this thread's dropped down a page, and I haven't seen pics for a while... Like this guy I'm reading and waiting for some Sightseer sightings & images