Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2009, 11:23 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Sightseeing Screwmount

Based on the idea of the traveling 50mm, is anyone interested in the "Sightseeing Screwmount?"

I have an SV (early model) and a f/1.8 55mm I'd be willing to donate to this cause for a few months.

DOI, we can establish procedures and materials that will make it very easy.

You would have to be willing to foot the bill for getting the camera on to the next person on the list. Based on my location, it probably makes sense to make this a North American thing only...

Let me know interest level... if you can commit, do so and we'll take it from there...

woof

01-05-2009, 11:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Seaain Grey,

Have I missed something?
Could you please explain what this is all about?

Mickey
01-05-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
Have I missed something?
Could you please explain what this is all about?
What I am proposing is to collect a list of people who want to try out a vintage Pentax screwmount camera, and then to send one 'round to that list of people. Everyone to provide their own film, and to provide postage to the next person on the list. Eventually of course the camera needs to come home to me. Good way for someone to get to try out a vintage camera without the expense of buying one.

It would be nice if each person posted some frames form their use of the camera. Over on the SLR lens thread they are doing this with a lens.

That's it...

Seaain
01-05-2009, 12:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It should probably be made clear that the SV is a non-metered camera before it ends up in the hands of somebody who doesn't know that.

01-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #5

I'm interested!

I've always wanted to try out a vintage screwmount, and I've been thinking about a Spotmatic recently....

woof, when you say "provide thier own film", it means that the camera is NOT one of those "everyone takes one frame" things, correct? It means that everyone shoots an ENTIRE roll of film, and then sends it on?
01-05-2009, 02:04 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
It should probably be made clear that the SV is a non-metered camera before it ends up in the hands of somebody who doesn't know that.
Good point.

Seaain
01-05-2009, 02:06 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stevopedia Quote
I'm interested!

I've always wanted to try out a vintage screwmount, and I've been thinking about a Spotmatic recently....

woof, when you say "provide thier own film", it means that the camera is NOT one of those "everyone takes one frame" things, correct? It means that everyone shoots an ENTIRE roll of film, and then sends it on?
Correct, you can shoot as many rolls as you want with it, wiothing reason. We'll set some reasonable time frame for keeping the camera...

Seaain

01-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #8

Add Me to the List

I would like to shoot a roll with the SV! Add me to the list please.
01-05-2009, 09:10 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
To Mike's point: "This is a non-metered camera."

HOWEVER, I will include a vintage Hanimex-Sekonic light meter and instructions on how to use same with the SV (see Hnimex Sekonic Leader De Luxe Manual). Of course I will be here to help with using the meter if anyone gets stuck. I need to do a little walk around myself with this meter before sending out the SV, but I can do that this week.

I wish I could offer a little better meter, but actually this one seems to register values very, very close to my digital Sekonic Flashmate.

woof!
01-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So... so far:

Stevopedia
felix68

woof
01-06-2009, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
OK, well, I am going to go through with this ... so... let's get the ball rolling...

First off, Steveopedia, PM me your shipping address please. It need not be a home address, just some place the mail will get to you.

I am going to ship USPS Priority with delivery receipt. No insurance. Not necessary.

However, what I would like to do is ask that all subsequent shipments be via USPS mail (Parcel Post minimum) with delivery confirmation so that we can at least track the item in the event of loss.

Other than that, let's figure out the ground rules as we go. I'll get the thing prepped and ready to send this weekend. Do either of you guys have a light meter? I'll include a Sekonic and will give instructions on how to use it.

felix68, you'll be next, and it will ship from Steveopedia... what do you guys think is a reasonable time frame to keep the camera before forwarding to the next user... two weeks? Let me know your thoughts about this.

Seaain
01-06-2009, 06:52 PM   #12

aw, it's a shame that no one else has joined up yet!

two weeks sounds reasonable to me. I haven't got a lightmeter (aside from my ist D ) so I was figuring I'd shoot with sunny 16... but if you're going to very kindly offer the use of the Sekonic, I won't turn it down!
01-06-2009, 07:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, sure, I like this sort of thing.
01-07-2009, 04:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

One more very important point, just in case anyone has a 50/1.4 Tak lying about and feels tempted to try it on the early version SV......DON'T DO IT. The 50/1.4 projects too far into the mirror box. The SV was redesigned after the 50/1.4 was introduced (SV was in production from 1962 until 1972) to solve this incompatibility.
01-07-2009, 08:04 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
One more very important point, just in case anyone has a 50/1.4 Tak lying about and feels tempted to try it on the early version SV......DON'T DO IT. The 50/1.4 projects too far into the mirror box. The SV was redesigned after the 50/1.4 was introduced (SV was in production from 1962 until 1972) to solve this incompatibility.
The newer version can be recognized easiest by an orange (versus green) "R" on the rewind crank. This will confirm that this is the earlier version... complete with a green "R."

Last edited by woof; 01-18-2009 at 06:45 PM.