Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
01-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #61
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
. . . My only concern is that you're creating a whole new group that will be bidding against us on flea-bay for the vintage items. LOL Seriously, everyone enjoy what is a great camera and if I may suggest, try a few shots using the "Sunny f/16" rule. You may be pleasantly surprised at the results.

CW

Too late!

01-21-2009, 01:09 PM   #62
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Sorry I haven't jumped in here before now as the recovery from shoulder surgery goes slowly...
Take it easy with the shoulder. The recovery can be very long in the best case.

Steve

(Bad shoulder for several years now following a snow skiing accident...)
01-21-2009, 01:11 PM   #63
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Take it easy with the shoulder. The recovery can be very long in the best case.

Steve

(Bad shoulder for several years now following a snow skiing accident...)
Are you saying he shouldn't be hand holding a 6x7 with a 300mm Tak on it?
01-21-2009, 02:16 PM   #64
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Something like that...

Steve

01-21-2009, 02:33 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Hey, btw, Straightshooter, I hope your shoulder feels better.

And we mourned the passing of the UGA doggie, though we never met him. New to this town as we are.

I've got new stuff and have been chafing at the bit here to get shooting with it for what seems like ages, but is probably only really a couple of weeks. Arthritic BS.
01-21-2009, 02:36 PM   #66
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
No kidding. Tried to hold the K100DS with the 200 Super Tak attached the other day .

WRONG!!!!!!!!

CW
01-21-2009, 03:16 PM   #67
Veteran Member

No kidding. Tried to hold the K100DS with the 200 Super Tak attached the other day .

WRONG!!!!!!!!

CW
*suggesting one of these little y-forked gun/scope holders you can get with walking sticks, presuming merely lifting the thing wasn't what hurt you. They do really help compensate for owies. Quickly.

01-21-2009, 05:42 PM   #68
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I was just looking at some of my bookmarked early Pentax sites thought I'd post this link. Die Cast Pro - Pentax Lenses

Edit: The lens listing is not complete, but the ones that are have good photos and interesting info.
Thanks Blue. That is a good link and I refer to it myself often. I've always wished they had more on presets and auto Takumars. The presets they have are the ancestors of Super Takumars, but they don't cover the obsoleted one, some of which are quite interesting. Same story with the Autos. One that is a crying shame that is missing is the 35mm f/2.3 Auto-Takumar... But again, great reference, especially for Supers and SMCs.

Sorry I haven't jumped in here before now as the recovery from shoulder surgery goes slowly. But Woof, what a great idea! The SV was my first 35mm and as you know, I have several of the non-metered variety of Pentax SLR's so I'm sure that everyone will love shooting with this camera. My only concern is that you're creating a whole new group that will be bidding against us on flea-bay for the vintage items. LOL Seriously, everyone enjoy what is a great camera and if I may suggest, try a few shots using the "Sunny f/16" rule. You may be pleasantly surprised at the results.
CW! Good to see you here. Sorry about your shoulder AND for creating a whole new group of enthusiasts... but hey... I just could not resit evangelizing and I think the output from this group is going to be very interesting. Just could not resist.

I agree with working on honing Sunny 16. I carry a light meter, but it is always to get me in the right ballpark/confirm my suspicions about exposure; from the baseline I can go for quite a while without having to resort to a meter reading. Very, very liberating. It works really well for me. It was part of what Dad taught me when he gave me my first (Pentax) SLR a generation ago.

Please do heal up soon and well!

woof!
01-26-2009, 09:16 AM   #69

Well, it's getting to be that time.

I wanna shoot one more roll before I send the SV off, so it may end up being a bit more than two weeks. I plan to drop it off at the DHL shipping center at my friendly local Walgreens.

While we're on the subject, does anyone know if DHL lets you reuse USPS boxes for shipping, or do I have to find another box? I am aware that I will have to remove/cover labels etc. If I have to use the USPS to reuse the box, I can do that but it will mean that the earliest I can get the SV in the mail is Saturday.

When I get the SV mailed I'll also get the film developed (all three rolls of it) and get CDs made of them. Then I'll get myself a Flickr, join the Sightseeing Screwmount group, and post my shots!
01-26-2009, 01:14 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Maybe wrap the box with a brown paper bag, like a present?

Can't wait to see some pics!
01-26-2009, 01:56 PM   #71

I'm afraid that most of the shots will be terribly snapshot-ish, as the weather hasn't exactly been conducive to proper photography. Hopefully I'll get some good stuff with this last roll.

Still, I'll post the good stuff.
01-26-2009, 03:15 PM   #72
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Stevopedia Quote
I'm afraid that most of the shots will be terribly snapshot-ish, as the weather hasn't exactly been conducive to proper photography. Hopefully I'll get some good stuff with this last roll.

Still, I'll post the good stuff.
looking forward to seeing the photos.
01-26-2009, 04:19 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Don't worry about the bad ones...I took 60 the other day and hate every one if that makes you feel better. They were digital so no big loss.
01-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #74

Film vs Digital

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Don't worry about the bad ones...I took 60 the other day and hate every one if that makes you feel better. They were digital so no big loss.
How is it that I can take 37 shots of Plus-X and consider 5-6 shots no good but take the same 37 shots with the K100D and have 5-6 keepers? Funny how that works!
Looking forward to getting the SV! There is nothing better than being "Next" (that was a Seinfeld episode wasn't it?)
01-26-2009, 05:19 PM   #75
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well, it's getting to be that time. I wanna shoot one more roll before I send the SV off, so it may end up being a bit more than two weeks. I plan to drop it off at the DHL shipping center at my friendly local Walgreens.
1. The two weeks is a guideline. I'd rather see that there are no obvious issues with the camera before it goes to the next guy. Know what I mean? If the thing gets bashed on one leg of trip and starts capping, it is best to know. So get at least one roll developed if you can so we know that generally thew thing is not off. it was not off when I sent it, but you never know. 40+ years...

This is your call of course, but if you get them developed and it looks like there was an issue, I'll want to mail replacement and get SV. I suppose that leaves you on the down side of the deal, but I would make it up to you. No-one will ever pay shipping twice. Promise.

While we're on the subject, does anyone know if DHL lets you reuse USPS boxes for shipping, or do I have to find another box? I am aware that I will have to remove/cover labels etc. If I have to use the USPS to reuse the box, I can do that but it will mean that the earliest I can get the SV in the mail is Saturday.
My advice... look at the box. On one inner corner there is an overlap. Cut the box open top and bottom and delaminate the glue that holds the corner. Trun the box inside out so you have a brown plain looking box. Place that tab on the OUTSIDE and tape it fast. A little extra tape on that corner with the realization that a fully taped box, all seams is a very strong thing and that corner will not give.

That way you can reuse the box and no issues. Next guy can do the same if no shipping USPS... just get a USPS flat rate box the same size and ... er... reskin it...

Thanks, let us know your thoughts.

Seaiin