Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
05-03-2009, 05:14 PM   #271
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Sorry... poorly worded really. I just mean that the shutter speed dial is made up to only go up to 1/500th, but that the functionality is still there under it all. Really it's an SV without the self-timer and treated cosmetically to look like it's a down-market camera with only 1/500th. That's only skin deep. It's every bit the quality camera the SV was.

It's a beautiful camera. I do not have an example in my collection because I have never found a pristine one. Some day.

woof!
It's been a great camaera...got it for either $ 129 or $ 159 Canadian back in '68...can't remember exactly...the Sekonic light meter went for either $ 9 or 11 dollars.
Thanks for the explanation. The only problem with my S1a is that a corner of the leather is coming off the body...I guess the glue has dried off. I've been thinking of putting a bit of goop or superglue.....but not sure if this is the right stuff. Any suggestions ?

05-03-2009, 05:39 PM   #272
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
...The only problem with my S1a is that a corner of the leather is coming off the body...I guess the glue has dried off. I've been thinking of putting a bit of goop or superglue.....but not sure if this is the right stuff. Any suggestions ?
Don't let super glue anywhere near your camera! I am not sure what type of adhesive was used originally (contact cement?), but please avoid super glue!

BTW, there are a couple of sources on the Web where you can buy replacement leather/leatherette kits in a variety of colors and textures. You might want to consider a make-over.

Steve
05-03-2009, 06:02 PM   #273
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
The only problem with my S1a is that a corner of the leather is coming off the body...I guess the glue has dried off. I've been thinking of putting a bit of goop or superglue.....but not sure if this is the right stuff. Any suggestions ?
Go here CameraLeather.com and check out the kits they have for redoing your camera. You can go back with leatherettes that are almost identical to the OEM or get wild and crazy with their textures and colors.

CW
05-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #274
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pliobond adhesive is used by many professionals. It's available at many hardware stores.
It holds very well, yet leather can be removed later on (to service camera) without damage.

Chris

05-04-2009, 10:16 AM   #275
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
Go here CameraLeather.com and check out the kits they have for redoing your camera. You can go back with leatherettes that are almost identical to the OEM or get wild and crazy with their textures and colors.
Pliobond as Chriss suggests would be a good thing. You won't need much. I'd try less than more (no pun intended) and see how it goes.

On the other hand, I just finished a Spotmatic with CameraLeather. The version I used is almost indistinguishable for the original. It was a relatively easy job, and well worth the trip. If there is a hard part, it's the cleanup of the old residual. I have a secret for that and it ain't peanut butter.

In any case, no-one would know the difference, and it looks just great. The camera I covered is a user not a collector's piece. Still, I doubt many would know.

I'll post pics if it matters. Not that you'll be able to tell.

Next up... hmmm, not sure, but I'll post once it's done. Perhaps a nice red snake? how about that White Cobra? That one will be for sale. We'll see how THAT goes. I am officially putting out there that I'll do Spotmatics and earlier for a very reasonable fee.

It is worth a try Les.

Cameraleather - leather kits for Pentax SLR's
http://www.cameraleather.com/colors/

Seaain
05-04-2009, 03:19 PM   #276
Pentaxian

Pliobond as Chriss suggests would be a good thing. You won't need much. I'd try less than more (no pun intended) and see how it goes.

On the other hand, I just finished a Spotmatic with CameraLeather. The version I used is almost indistinguishable for the original. It was a relatively easy job, and well worth the trip. If there is a hard part, it's the cleanup of the old residual. I have a secret for that and it ain't peanut butter.

In any case, no-one would know the difference, and it looks just great. The camera I covered is a user not a collector's piece. Still, I doubt many would know.

I'll post pics if it matters. Not that you'll be able to tell.

Next up... hmmm, not sure, but I'll post once it's done. Perhaps a nice red snake? how about that White Cobra? That one will be for sale. We'll see how THAT goes. I am officially putting out there that I'll do Spotmatics and earlier for a very reasonable fee.

It is worth a try Les.

Cameraleather - leather kits for Pentax SLR's
Cameraleather Materials & Colors

Seaain
[B]I would like to thank all the suggestions from members of this website on what to do and what not to do to repair my old S1a. There is only a little bit of leatherette at a corner that has come loose. I will check out pliabond and if I can't find it around here, maybe some contact cement willl work. I will stay away from Superglue.
05-04-2009, 04:38 PM   #277
Inactive Account

Original Poster
[B]I would like to thank all the suggestions from members of this website on what to do and what not to do to repair my old S1a. There is only a little bit of leatherette at a corner that has come loose. I will check out pliabond and if I can't find it around here, maybe some contact cement willl work. I will stay away from Superglue.
I was kind of kidding, at least with respect to yours Les.

If I had one for that long, I'd be working to keep it original.

Woof

05-04-2009, 05:53 PM   #278
Pentaxian

I was kind of kidding, at least with respect to yours Les.

If I had one for that long, I'd be working to keep it original.

Woof
As you say I want to keep it original...it's been a good mechanical companion over the years. I keep it in an aluminum camera case with my ES ll and old Leica. It plays well with others.
05-07-2009, 05:52 AM   #279
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I pm'd Séamuis.

Blue, look for the package, it should be on the way. I don't know when it was sent, but if for some reason it never shows up, I'll ship out my S3.

Can I please ask that when people ship the camera they use delivery confirmation? It is available for all USPS shipments, even parcel post and comes with tracking. It protects all parties and costs very little. Sorry to ask this, but a tracking number in this case would be helpful.

Thanks!

Seaain
05-07-2009, 08:15 AM   #280
Site Supporter

Seaain,

I let you know when I get it and ship it.

Edit: It just arrived.

Last edited by Blue; 05-07-2009 at 08:30 AM.
05-07-2009, 04:24 PM   #281
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Seaain,

I let you know when I get it and ship it.

Thank you!

woof!
05-07-2009, 05:58 PM   #282
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Seaain,

. . . .

Phew!

Priority Mail Flat Rate Box Domestic is $9 and includes Delivery Confirmation and $500 Insurance.
05-08-2009, 03:21 PM   #283
Banned

I shipped it after Blue got back into town. glad it arrived safely.
05-24-2009, 09:45 PM   #284
Site Supporter

Ryan S is up next . . .

Gratuitous poses of the SV . . .

05-24-2009, 10:00 PM   #285
Site Supporter

Close up of watch with the 50mm macro-tak on the SV and comparison shot of the watch with the 50mm macro-tak on the K200d. The film was Fujicolor 200 and negatives scanned with an Epson V500.

Last edited by Blue; 05-24-2009 at 10:38 PM.