Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2009, 05:58 AM   #316
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is very interesting and seems to be a lot of fun. I haven't exactly read all 315 posts on this thread but this is a wonderful idea!
I wouldn't mind joining if there is still a chance. For the list it seems at least 2 more months.

Regards,

05-30-2009, 09:11 AM   #317
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Sure, send it here - PM on the way. Try to time delivery for after June 6th, though.

Seaain, Please review my EDIT on the original Reply offering to change out the leather case - while at work I looked up a pbase image from FS gallery and see that my meter is an L-VI. I'd bet yours is the same size with just a different low-light door than mine has.
I'm willing to repair the original meter case, if anyone'd like it to make a side trip back here, I was going to offer to when I had the Sightseer but I was out of the stuff I'd need, and I was running way behind, anyway.
05-30-2009, 01:20 PM   #318
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
It's here...just came about a half hour ago
Glad to here it. I just got back into town. The meter seemed to be working o.k. when I tried it. However, I never used it when taking pics therefore I can't say with certainty about its accuracy.

Perhaps Woof can send you a pdf of the instruction manual because I failed to put the xerox copy in the package on Tuesday.
05-30-2009, 01:43 PM   #319
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
That's quite good. I LOVE the Leica. I really want one of those. Hmm, wanna trade?

Yes, that frankly had started before I sent it. Hmmm. Taping it really won't work. I'd say cut it off. Keep it with the camera. My expectation will be that it won't make it back, but that's OK.

This is generally the correct manual. That meter is basically a Sekonic L8. The manual is for the delux version that included a low light ampliphier. Just ignore the whole thing about the amplifier. Let me know if that does it for you...

http://www.cameramanuals.org/flashes_meters/sekonic_leader_de_luxe.pdf

The original manifest included the following. Are most of these items still in the box?

Pentax Asahi SV (Check)
Super Takumar 55mm f/1.8 (Check)
Leather half-case (I went crazy looking for it around the house, then remembered I had only messed with my GSN's case. I don't see it and didn't see any on the SV. In the pics I took of it, they were literally "out of the box." )
Soligar 49mm UV Filter (Check)
Original (Honeywell) Lens Cap (Check)
Original SV Manual (Didn't come with one, unless it's under the wood somewhere)
Vintage Sekonic light meter... reflected light only (sorry) (Check)
Reprinted manual for Sekonic Meter (Blue has it)

Thanks again. I have a felleing I'm going to really enjoy your set.

woof!
Well...the Leica is first a huge and loud camera. From what I've read, it's a rebadged Minolta Freedom Zoom or something similar. It also has this annoying "Auto Zoom" sensor. Bleh. This was my $5 Leica

I can stick the meter cover somewhere inside the wood box...maybe use some paper underneath so the tape wouldn't touch the leather and put a note on it like "Don't Touch!"

I'll give the manual a read through and compare the meter with my MX and K10 now that it's finally sunny outside.

There were a couple pics of the manual on flickr but the link you provided has the whole thing
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
That might work. I appreciate it monochrome... see if it fits and remind me when we get to this. Thanks!

I am concerned by Ryan's comment that the selenium on mine seems to be less than active. I don't care about the meter so much as making sure that everyone has a a working meter. I keep thinking about a better more active meter. let me see what I can find.

Monochrome, I might choose you as a place to mail another meter. Would that be OK?

Seaain
Let me give it some tests real quick...maybe I was doing something wrong. I'll report back here.
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Glad to here it. I just got back into town. The meter seemed to be working o.k. when I tried it. However, I never used it when taking pics therefore I can't say with certainty about its accuracy.

Perhaps Woof can send you a pdf of the instruction manual because I failed to put the xerox copy in the package on Tuesday.
The link to the pdf on the previous page works...I tried the older one on page 1 or 2 and it didn't work, then I had to run...

Got a shipment of goodies in today Going to try everything at least one (that is...nothing over $5/roll)...sorry for the PnS pic...

Now which to choose? Also have 2 rolls of Neopan 1600. I'm thinking an "expendable" roll of $1.49 Foma

05-30-2009, 01:47 PM   #320
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post Travel Shots?

Is it customary to perhaps "pose" the traveling Pentax on site and take a travel shot? This would really be a great thing for a website or Flickr page.

Yeah, pretty neat idea - - glad you're joining in.

The closest I'll ever get to shooting with one of these otherwise is my Spot-F (which I will bring along to keep the Sightseer company when the St. Louis group gets together).

I've seen Javier's K1000 moving around the world in another Pentax Forum, and the Nifty Fifty (M50/2.0) here - it has at least 18 months of reservations - but this is a real treat woof has given us!
05-30-2009, 01:58 PM   #321
Veteran Member

OK...the hand held meter seems very close to my MX even though the cam is a spot meter. The meter seemed "slow" because I was using it in subdued light and it wasn't bright enough to make the needle move between "changes"...so everything's OK as long as the correct color marks are used I think it just needed a wake up call in some bright sun

QuoteOriginally posted by lawsonstone Quote
Is it customary to perhaps "pose" the traveling Pentax on site and take a travel shot? This would really be a great thing for a website or Flickr page.
Yes, it would be nice. I have to think of how I'm going to do it All the signs into the city, for example, are on posts with the tops like 8ft off the ground...

Edit: Mine was in my front yard I'm going to find somewhere uniquely "Madison"

Last edited by ryan s; 05-30-2009 at 02:06 PM.
05-30-2009, 02:03 PM   #322
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lawsonstone Quote
Several of us have done that, the most recently being Ryan.

Ryan: (Perhaps he could redo this one with a block of cheese.

By me:

By Ratmagiclady:

Last edited by Blue; 05-30-2009 at 02:08 PM.
05-30-2009, 02:15 PM   #323
Veteran Member

There's some cheese in the fridge (actually like 3 different kinds) I could also grab an MGD, a Leinie's, and possibly some Johnsonville's
05-30-2009, 02:42 PM   #324
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sekonic Leader L-VI

OK...the hand held meter seems very close to my MX even though the cam is a spot meter. The meter seemed "slow" because I was using it in subdued light and it wasn't bright enough to make the needle move between "changes"...so everything's OK as long as the correct color marks are used I think it just needed a wake up call in some bright sun
Well that seems good. If there is any trouble I can just add this little guy into the box. It just metered a reflected scene spot on my Sekonic Micro Leader, my KX and my K10D (M) ASA 100 1/100 @ f/5.6 . You just have to open the door, so every scene is a dark scene, even the full-sun outdoor shots.

Note that I took the photo before I metered the scene - I know the meter is set at ASA 400

Last edited by monochrome; 05-30-2009 at 06:15 PM.
05-30-2009, 04:56 PM   #325
Veteran Member

That case really does look the same...only difference is the strap holding the meter in (and the neck strap)...
05-30-2009, 05:02 PM   #326
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That case really does look the same...only difference is the strap holding the meter in (and the neck strap)...
Yeah, its pretty close. There isn't really a top cover, though - the strap just holds it in. I bet if I tried to undo the snap that holds that strap down the whole thing would fall apart.

I was just reading the manual (I've never actually used this - it came in a grab-bag with a Spotmatic I bought for the S-M-C 50/1.4) and I'm stumped. There's something called "Compur" for lenses that have those settings, and then it seems to only meter to f/8 for regular aperture lenses; then you use EV to convert.

That can't be right, can it?
05-30-2009, 06:07 PM   #327
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well that seems good. If there is any trouble I can just add this little guy into the box. It just metered a reflected scene spot on my Sekonic Micro Leader, my KX and my K10D (M) ASA 100 1/100 @ f/5.6 . You just have to open the door, so every scene is a bright scene, even the full-sun outdoor shots.

Note that I took the photo before I metered the scene - I know the meter is set at ASA 400
Very cool
05-30-2009, 06:15 PM   #328
Veteran Member

What he needs is a little shoe-mount cheese-head hat.

(Oh, also, there was an original manual at least as of when I sent Sightseer out, so best look for that, I think. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 05-30-2009 at 06:22 PM.
05-30-2009, 08:24 PM   #329
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
There was an original manual at least as of when I sent Sightseer out, so best look for that, I think.
Thanks RML... I paid money for that manual. Nothing I was unwilling to lose, but I'd rather not.

woof
05-30-2009, 08:36 PM   #330
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
This is very interesting and seems to be a lot of fun. I haven't exactly read all 315 posts on this thread but this is a wonderful idea!
I wouldn't mind joining if there is still a chance. For the list it seems at least 2 more months.
Ismael:

Hmm, kind of off the beaten track for us...

However, I just looked up what it costs to ship to Puerto Rico and it turns out to be the same or a little less than shipping to California from here. Assuming the person you are after is willing to ship to you, you are in.

If he is not, I'll ship it to you after I get it back.

List is now:

Stevopedia (completed)
felix68 (completed)
Ratmagiclady (completed)
séamuis (completed)
blue (completed)
ryan s (in hand)
konraDarnok
stevebrot
St. Louis Area Group (monochrome)
sasquatch
sein06231
lawsonstone
ismaelg
woof

Welcome aboard! Please make sure that you take some good shots of the camera in your beautiful tropical paradise. Oh, and don't be surprised if I show up for a little while to load your film and carry your equipment!

Seaain