Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
08-27-2009, 09:40 PM   #451
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
...My bet is the back has gotten warped somehow...
That is my conclusion as well.

QuoteQuote:
...I can't imagine how had it must have been to meter externally and transfer an exposure estimate to the settings aperture ring and shutter speed. I have a new appreciation for match-needle metering...
You and me both! I was about half way through the first roll before I was getting comfortable with the meter and learning a basic flow:
  1. Meter the subject(s) first
  2. Set the camera
  3. Compose and take the shot
  4. Repeat #3 until done or the light changes
Once I figured out that you only need to meter once unless the light changes, things went much easier!

Steve

08-28-2009, 09:39 AM   #452
Veteran Member

guess what just arrived at my place!!! haven't opened it yet, but i have a nice new roll of ilford100 to throw in it

k it's open and out and its beatiful. i love the shutter sound, the focus screen...and the prism housing is sexy as a mutha!!!

The top part of the leather case for the meter is broken at the bend/crease ? I don't want to open it. I'm not taking it out of the case

But his looks like a cool meter...

8(

Last edited by MJB DIGITAL; 08-28-2009 at 10:14 AM. Reason: combined three back to back posts i made
08-28-2009, 10:03 AM   #453
Veteran Member

I absolutely love the shutter sound. It's fast!
08-28-2009, 10:55 AM   #454
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
guess what just arrived at my place!!!
That was quick!!!

RE the meter: The leather case top broke off three or four users ago. If you want to use the meter without the loose flap go ahead - it's a fun element of the experience.

08-28-2009, 11:13 AM   #455
Veteran Member

OK I'm going get out the meter. You say it tells me to overexpose?

I've got a roll of ilford100 im going to run through it. i like to overexpose b&w just a tad. does this meter blow it way out?

hey wasn't there supposed to be some instructions with this meter? this will be the first handheld that i have used. ill be looking back up through the thread to see whats up
08-28-2009, 11:24 AM   #456
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I've got a roll of ilford100 im going to run through it. i like to overexpose b&w just a tad. does this meter blow it way out?
I found that the meter is essentially accurate, but VERY sluggish in low light. Selenium meters lose sensitivity with age, so you might want to check it against the meter in another camera in center-weighted mode with a wide angle mounted if you have doubts. Use the meter with the door closed in bright light, with the door open in shade. Another thing I found is that the FOV for the meter is hard to gauge. I never did quite figure it out except that it helps to meter the subject up close if possible and avoid metering too much of the sky.

Steve
08-28-2009, 11:24 AM   #457
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

hey wasn't there supposed to be some instructions with this meter? this will be the first handheld that i have used. ill be looking back up through the thread to see whats up
  1. Most of my images were overexposed, but I used my own Sekonic Micro Leader meter and a Tamron Adaptall lens for most shots (AD 35~70/3.5 with ES Mount). Steve Brot seems not to have had exposure issues using the enclosed meter, so let's call mine user input error .
  2. Instructions for the meter seem to have been misplaced by a prior user, as was the half-case that the camera started with. I tried to find an internet source for the inx, but failed.
  3. You should have the camera with strap, SMC Tak 55/1.8 and front cap, the meter, and a folder with the original camera manual in it.

08-28-2009, 11:34 AM   #458
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

1. Most of my images were overexposed, but I used my own Sekonic Micro Leader meter and a Tamron Adaptall lens for most shots (AD 35~70/3.5 with ES Mount). Steve Brot seems not to have had exposure issues using the enclosed meter, so let's call mine user input error .
  2. Instructions for the meter seem to have been misplaced by a prior user, as was the half-case that the camera started with. I tried to find an internet source for the inx, but failed.
  3. You should have the camera with strap, SMC Tak 55/1.8 and front cap, the meter, and a folder with the original camera manual in it.
Mike Butkus has the manual posted on his Web site in pdf format ($3 suggested donation):
http://www.cameramanuals.org/flashes_meters/sekonic_leader_de_luxe.pdf
Steve
08-28-2009, 11:41 AM   #459
Veteran Member

That was quick!!!

RE the meter: The leather case top broke off three or four users ago. If you want to use the meter without the loose flap go ahead - it's a fun element of the experience.
Btw, as far as the case goes, the flap does serve a useful purpose: preserving the longevity of the photocell in there. So, don't leave the meter in the light without it. (I'm also willing to reattach the flap, though Seaain said don't bother. I don't have the stuff to do it pretty right now, but can do.) If the flap's fallen off completely by now, you could remove the case entirely and just keep the meter in your pocket.

If the meter tends to want you to overexpose, it's probably only in dimmer light, where a weaker photocell might not respond as much as it should. (I think the Sightseer's shutter may run a little fast, anyway, IIRC. ) I'd suggest testing against a known meter if you want a sense of it. I didn't actually fuss with it, since I was behind and had a hand meter of my own. Though IIRC, it was good in room light. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 08-28-2009 at 11:47 AM.
08-28-2009, 11:54 AM   #460
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Btw, as far as the case goes, the flap does serve a useful purpose: preserving the longevity of the photocell in there. So, don't leave the meter in the light without it...
A little duct tape perhaps?

Steve
08-28-2009, 12:42 PM   #461
Site Supporter

I used a different meter or Sunny 16. I did figure that meter out just for fun though.

To add to what Steve said, I suggest some black reinforced tape to preserve the life of the meter. I have a small collection of working meters that I keep in their cases and in a dark drawer.

As far as the door being warped, I don't know. I'm somewhat skeptical. I think every thing would be bad all the time. This issue seems intermittent.

MJB, do you have another film body that you could shoot a series with simultaneously with the SightSeer? If so, be sure to use a similar lens.
08-28-2009, 01:47 PM   #462
Site Supporter

I absolutely love the shutter sound. It's fast!

HeadBanger < Pre-spotmatic Pentax
08-28-2009, 01:49 PM   #463
Veteran Member

You should have the camera with strap, SMC Tak 55/1.8 and front cap, the meter, and a folder with the original camera manual in it.
No manual.

I got the camera with strap, a lens with a front cover and a meter in a pouch.

Everything was packed up great in baggies, bubble wrap and popcorn; there were no paper products.

I've got it loaded up and ready to go.....
I had to grab a family portrait real quick

the 'closeup' is a %100 crop shot at 1/4 second. 8)
Attached Images

08-28-2009, 01:53 PM   #464
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No manual. . . .
Damn. I bet it is laying on my packing table.

I'll mail it.
08-28-2009, 02:06 PM   #465
Veteran Member

That's cool I dont need the manual.

Should we join it back up to the package?

oh duh...i see you are mailing it.

....it's a bit lonely in the office today and im falling asleep

Last edited by MJB DIGITAL; 08-28-2009 at 02:38 PM.