Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2009, 06:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

MZ-S and aperture-ring less lenses

i bought a Sigma 24-60 F2.8 lens specifically for the MZ-S, because if i was buying for my K20D i would go DA*16-50 f2.8.

since i couldnt find any info online, i specifically asked the seller if the lens had an aperture ring, they said that it did, so i got it.

before i write back to the seller asking for my money back id like to know what i should do with a lens that lacks an aperture ring while using an MZ-S

from what i understand my only option is program line and shutter priority, unfortunately i shoot Av 95% of the time! I can set the program line to "fast shutter" to force the lens to always use the largest aperture, but from what i understand once the speeds get up to something like 1/250 it will start to balance the two and close down the aperture some, or am i wrong?

still... this sucks.

01-06-2009, 07:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you move the aperture while in AV?
The 17-55 Kit lens of a K100D allowed me to do it with the MZ-7 by moving the selector (in the front) just like any lens in the A position.
I would be surprised if that is not possible with the MZ-S

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
i bought a Sigma 24-60 F2.8 lens specifically for the MZ-S, because if i was buying for my K20D i would go DA*16-50 f2.8.

since i couldnt find any info online, i specifically asked the seller if the lens had an aperture ring, they said that it did, so i got it.

before i write back to the seller asking for my money back id like to know what i should do with a lens that lacks an aperture ring while using an MZ-S

from what i understand my only option is program line and shutter priority, unfortunately i shoot Av 95% of the time! I can set the program line to "fast shutter" to force the lens to always use the largest aperture, but from what i understand once the speeds get up to something like 1/250 it will start to balance the two and close down the aperture some, or am i wrong?

still... this sucks.
PS do you mean this lens?
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3260&navigator=2

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0405/04051202sigma2460.asp

It seems to be a Digital optimized lens.... will you not get fallout of light in the corners?
01-06-2009, 08:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Can you move the aperture while in AV?
The 17-55 Kit lens of a K100D allowed me to do it with the MZ-7 by moving the selector (in the front) just like any lens in the A position.
I would be surprised if that is not possible with the MZ-S
You can't do that with the MZ-S. You can only shoot in aperture priority by turning the aperture ring.
01-06-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

send the lens back

01-06-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote

still... this sucks.
Your understanding is correct. You can only use the ring-less lenses on Program or Tv. As to the second part of your question, I don't recall that happening to my MZ-S when I use Tv. But I don't have the camera with me right now. What does the manual say?

If you want a fast Sigma zoom, the Sigma EX 28-70mm f2.8 lens works quite well with the MZ-S. It has an aperture ring. I just used one a few days ago.
01-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I was also caught by surprise to find no aperture ring on the Sigma 24-60 in K-mount. If you're using Tv, there's nothing you can do except for manually keeping the shutter speed high to open the aperture. The 'fast shutter' program line would only take effect in full Program AE. The program line used (at what point might it start stopping down the lens) would probably vary by focal length.

Obviously something has got to give--your lens, your camera body, or your habits. You might check to see if the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 has an aperture ring...I suspect it might, but its considerably larger and also more expensive (though not optically superior to my knowledge).

I'm not sure why you have this desire to use the lens wide open all the time/automatically/by default--I would re-think it a little. I would imagine that the normal reason someone might develop a habit like this is to keep the shutter speed high enough in lower light to avoid blur from subject motion/camera shake. I would think 1/250 would be enough to accomplish this nearly all of the time. Once you're at 1/250, many pictures might start benefitting from the benefits of stopping down--better lens performance, and more depth-of-field. In the cases where you deliberatly want wide apertures (to limit depth-of-field) or faster shutter speeds (to freeze motion) I would think you could switch to Tv if you do want to keep using this pretty-good Sigma 24-60.

I have the 24-60 but still prefer my FA 24-90 f/3.5-4.5 most of the time (and it has an aperture ring)...though I see that if you're hoping to shoot at f/2.8 a lot then maybe that 1/2 to 1 stop matters to you. Have you considered a Tamron 28-75?
01-06-2009, 11:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yes the tamron was high on the list but then the 24-60 came up in the market place for a good price so i decided to snatch that (plus i like more width than telephoto)

as for shooting wide open, that is the direction where my photography is heading, heavy emphasis on shallow depth of field.

hell thats the main reason i switched to the MZ-S while pentax figures out what they are doing ( or until someone makes a 30mm F1.2 lens and a 10mm f2.8-3.5 rectalinear one)
01-06-2009, 12:21 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Very peculiar

On Sigma's web site, the lens is not in the "DSLR only" section and it's picture clearly shows an aperture ring. Very odd .. .makes me want to triple check before I buy another Sigma lens.

01-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
which sigma website are you refering to?

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3260&navigator=2

this one does not show aperture rings, thats why i always ask because the pictures are usualy shown for canon/nikon lenses
01-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Now that has to suck.

I'd say send the lens back ... as you were given incorrect information by the seller.

I have a Sigma 28-70 f/2.8 ... but the older DF (Dual Focus lens) ... it's a decent size ... but it definitely has the Aperture ring on it ... have a look around for one ... it's been a nice lens indeed
01-11-2009, 12:28 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
MZ-S + Sigma 24-60mm combo

Hi!

I have the same combo. You cannot use this lens (Sigma EX 24-60mm) in Av mode with the MZ-S. The camera allows only P and Tv mode with this lens.

I was also really disappointed back then when I bought the same lens but then I found it so good optically that I kept it. Instead of selling of giving back the lens there is a good, cheap solution: buying a Z series body (I bought a Z-20) which handles this kind of lens in every mode. Not an MZ-S feeling, but at least you can keep a terrific lens (see reviews at Third party lenses.) And you need a backup body anyway

Believe me. This lens is a keeper!

Best regards,
Zsolt