Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2009, 12:12 PM   #46

If i am reading everything right, you are looking for a film SLR, Correct?

If you are I have a Pentax K1000 I could sell you

01-11-2009, 03:16 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Ricoh XR-7 is a great K-mount body. It has DOF preview like an MX, and you can see the aperture in the viewfinder; plus it has both a manual mode and an aperture priority mode like the ME super. Plus a multiple exposure button, which neither have. Ricoh film cameras are dirt cheap, usually much less than a comparable Pentax body, and yet you can use all the same lenses. Look into it!
01-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #48

Original Poster
Anybody have any experience with the KM? ( By the way, to anyone who has presented me with an offer, I'm still considering your proposition; I am just looking at all my options.)
01-11-2009, 06:49 PM   #49
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EagleEye Quote
Anybody have any experience with the KM? ( By the way, to anyone who has presented me with an offer, I'm still considering your proposition; I am just looking at all my options.)
The biggest difference that you would notice between the KX and KM is the KX has mirror lock up. Both have 1/60 flash synch speed. The KM and KX both have mechanical horizontal run shutter. The K2 has mirror lockup, Av mode 1/125 shutter flash sync speed and 0.88 x [95%] magnification and viewfinder coverage coverage and an electronic vertical run shutter.

When I got my K2, I was looking for either a KX or K2 because of the mirror lock up. I preferred black but ended up with a really nice chrome K2.

Edit: There is a slight improvement in the viewfinder from the KM to KX to K2 but I don't know if it is enough to notice.

Go here to compare specs on the K series: http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/bodies/K/index.html

01-11-2009, 06:56 PM   #50
Veteran Member

I have one. It's pretty good, though I'd rather you spend a bit more for the KX if you want something from the K-series. The aperture window and being able to see the shutter speed selected in the viewfinder helps a lot - you don't have to take your eyes away from the viewfinder to double-check your settings. That, and mirror lock-up might help.

The KM, though, has the DOF preview and self-timer that the K1000 lacks, and for some, that may be all that they want over the K1000.
01-11-2009, 10:11 PM   #51
Banned

blue pretty much summed it up. the KX also shows aperture setting in viewfinder through a little window. the KM does not. if you do not need this or mirror lock up, (MLU being the more desirable option) then a KM would be a great choice. again I would not recommend a K1000.

if you are looking at K series you really cant go wrong with a KM, KX or a K2. and since a copy of the top of the line K2 just went for less than $60 today on ebay I think you can get a great deal on any of the three.
01-12-2009, 01:37 AM   #52
Inactive Account

I would recommend any of the K series bodies over the M series. Just my personal preference that they feel better in the hand. I agree with Seamus about the K1000, my reasons being, yes, it's is/was a great learning tool, but it's pretty crippled as far as manual cameras go. No shutter release lock to prevent mistakes, no DOF preview lever (which you will discover to be VERY useful), and as it was manufactured longer than just about every other camera ever made, it can be hard to find a "good" one, i.e. "Asahi Opt. Co, Made In Japan" with the brass body, and when you do, because everyone knows what a K1000 is, it could run you more than any of the other K series bodies, despite them being more capable units.

If it's possible, I would also recommend buying two bodies. One for completely manual control, and one for Aperture Priority use. You never know when the opportunity will arise to use either, and sometimes, you require one or the other. Mike Cash posted some beautiful shots in the Takumar lens thread taken with an early AV equipped camera (Spotmatic ES) that required a longer shutter speed and would not have been possible without said feature. It is, however, a double edged sword and can get in the way when you're attempting to do something your way and not the camera's, hence my suggestion.

If two is out of the question, buy a fully manual model. Unless you pick up an AE camera that allows for complete manual override, I don't think it's worth the trade of control for convenience.

01-12-2009, 02:04 AM   #53
Banned

QuoteQuote:
If it's possible, I would also recommend buying two bodies. One for completely manual control, and one for Aperture Priority use.
a good point, but if that's the only reason for two bodies... a K2 has both fully manual and Av. and since the OP has a max budget of $200 I wouldn't recommend two bodies.
01-12-2009, 02:00 PM   #54

Original Poster
If you could choose between the KM and the ME Super at the same cost and condition, which would you buy?
01-12-2009, 02:06 PM   #55
Site Supporter

If you could choose between the KM and the ME Super at the same cost and condition, which would you buy?
I would pick the ME Super over the KM depending on the cost. If it were too high, I'd walk away from both because frankly, I would not settle for less than a KX in the K series or an MX in the M series if the price was going to be above a certain point. That's just based on my personal preferences, but if you ever use a KX or K2, you will see what I mean. The thing about the MX is the viewfinder.
01-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #56
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KM. Never have been comfortable with the way any of the M bodies fit my hands and I hate the two button shutter speed control. I find the placement of the shutter speed buttons awkward and I prefer either a shutter speed dial or single button placed closer to the front.
01-12-2009, 02:20 PM   #57
Banned

the biggest advantages of the ME super is: Av, 1/2000 top shutter speed, and smaller lighter form factor.

the KM is all mechanical with only 1/1000 top shutter speed (same as with the top of the line MX) it is larger and heaver, and only has manual control.

the ME super also has a larger brighter viewfinder 0.95 x [92%] compared to the KM's 0.87 x [93%]

I would argue against blue (despite being a rather well known MX user and enthusiast) that the ME super is an excellent choice over the MX for most peoples uses. and since the only camera from the k series to feature Av is the K2, I would say go for the ME super. the only thing you will be missing compared to a K2 is MLU and the only thing from the MX is DOF preview. you are gaining in every way compared to the KM. the only drawback to the ME super is that (other than than 125/sec) the ME super uses an electronic shutter and requires batteries (though its not a battery hog) the MX also requires batteries if you want to use the LCD exposure meter in the viewfinder.
01-12-2009, 07:34 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Good points raised by previous posters, but I personally would rather pick the KM, if only because it's only dependent on batteries to power the meter. Everything else is mechanical, so it's still usable even when the batteries go out, or the electronics fail, which is more likely (I feel) to happen than a mechanical failure. Plus, mechanical failures are more likely easier to be fixed than an electronic one (just a hunch on my part, dunno how the electronics in the ME Super was done).

The ME Super's size is appealing, though, and a good copy of the camera would possibly be still usable for a long time.
01-12-2009, 08:30 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My choice would be the ME Super over the KM.

The ME Super is the newer camera, and as such, is far easier to find used. Have a look at ebay. There are dozens vs the 3 or 4 KM's. The other benifit is that many of the ME supers are being sold by their original owner, and they are selling all their lenses along with the camera. You can often find deals where the camera includes 3 or four lenses. Generally, KM's are sold body only, or just with a 50/f2.

Function wise, I like the ME super over the KM. The MEs has the far better viewfinder, the split focus screen, shutter speed in the view finder, 1/2000 top speed, and is smaller and lighter. The KM usually has a fresnal screen, and the lightmeter is the needle type like the K1000. I understand some KM's also have a split screen.

If the MEs is too small, get a cheap winder. increases the size just a little, and makes the camera a great deal easier to hold. The only drawback is that the shutter speed buttons are now harder to use.

The AV mode is a really nice feature to have. It is also "stepless". If the camera thinks you need 1/346 of a sec for the exposure, thats what you get. Kind of neat.

The only feature that I miss on the MEs is DOF preview. But this can be faked by releasing the lens, and turning it 10 deg or so in its mount.

As for batteries, they last a long time in the MEs. The camera will also let you know that they are about to quit on you. The LED's start to flash. Batteries are cheap. Carry an extra set.

The MEs is kind of the red headed stepchild in the pentax M serries. The MX really does/did steal the show, and the MEs is just a little forgoten.

In a way I think of the MEs as a poor man's LX.
01-18-2009, 12:30 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is anyone else curious to know what the final choice was? I'd love some sort of update on this.