Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #61

Original Poster
I made my decision this week. I'm getting a pentax kx. Someone came forward with an offer for a kx in good condition. What do you think?

01-18-2009, 10:22 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by EagleEye Quote
I made my decision this week. I'm getting a pentax kx. Someone came forward with an offer for a kx in good condition. What do you think?
YES!!! great camera, now put all the alternatives out of your mind quick. That way lies insanity. You got a great camera and one that you'll probably let your children use when they are born & are teens

The KX is not only a good and beautiful machine, it's a chick magnet and retrocool.
01-18-2009, 10:25 AM   #63

I second Nesster in all respects.

My KX is in sorry shape, but once I get it CLA'd I expect it will last another forty years, at least.

It's a really nice body, and in some ways I think it's a shame that it got overshadowed by the MX.

But ignore Nesster about not buying more cameras... you need a good screwmount body now!
01-18-2009, 11:13 AM   #64
Veteran Member

As long as it is in good operating condition, I think we are all happy for you. The important thing is not so much which camera you get as that you get one in your hot little hands and go out and put it to use. We're looking forward to seeing your photos.

01-18-2009, 11:35 AM   #65

Original Poster
It also includes a Vivitar 50/1.7 lens.
As a side note: I heard about the Ektar 100 film. How good is it?
One last question: I heard that the KX isn't good with macro lens. Is that true?
01-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #66
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It also includes a Vivitar 50/1.7 lens.
As a side note: I heard about the Ektar 100 film. How good is it?
One last question: I heard that the KX isn't good with macro lens. Is that true?
Ektar is pretty good:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/45448-kodak-ek...irst-roll.html

Steve
01-18-2009, 02:47 PM   #67
Veteran Member

KX is EXCELLENT with macro lens - I don't see why it wouldn't be! I use mine with the Tamron adaptall 90/2.5 SP macro, as well as the 35-80 'macro' and it is great with both.

wait... here's a couple shot with the 90mm macro. In general I suppose macro photography is much more convenient/reliable with digital, as you get the immediate feedback. The learning curve with film is slower and longer, but obviously a lot of great macros were made in the film era!

It so happens two or three of my best and most favorite pics of 2008 were taken with the KX:

SMC-A 28/2.8

SMC-M 50/1.7

SMC-M 50/1.7
01-18-2009, 04:45 PM   #68
Site Supporter

. . .

That is not true. I always bracket more when I using a camera that doesn't support ttl flash. I used to use the K1000 a lot for macro and I guarantee the KX is better.

Last edited by Blue; 01-18-2009 at 04:53 PM.
01-18-2009, 04:53 PM   #69

Original Poster
Those are some pretty nice shots there, Nesster!
And to your coment about the long learning curve: good things take time. I know you already know that, I'm just saying. Plus if you have to think before each shot, because you know you got so few shots and can't see them afterwards to tell if you need to take another shot, then I consider that true photography. No offense to digitals, they are great and have their place just as film does. But I think I got the photography bug, and a perticularly bad( well good) case of the film strain. May God have mercy on my soul( and throw in a few lenses while he's at it).
01-21-2009, 03:01 PM   #70

Original Poster
It's here!!!! My Asahi Pentax KX Chrome camera just came in the mail today!! I opened the box, and I swear, I didn't think it would be anywhere close to that beautifull. It's just down right sexy!
I love the match needling system. True, It's slower than the SF10 to change and everything, but at least this camera feels solid. It came with a Vivitar 50mm lens. That with the viewfinder gives a nice and beautifull image in the viewfinder.
The condition is excellent. A little worn around the battery door and some scratches on the body, but nothing that I didn't expect. It took me awhile to open the battery compartment door, but I finally tried a nickel and that worked.
The weight is something else I like. It's got some heft to it. Not enough to make it troublesome or in anyway inconvenient, but just enough to let you know it's a solid camera.
The battery indicator button is a good idea, and I like the timer. The depth of field preview is good, I just need to learn to see through it when i set to a higher f-stop, but I'll get use to it.
The shutter button lock is another great idea.
I swear, I think I could literally go on about how much I love this camera!! It's all I wanted, and more. It just feels better than my SF10, wich now feels ackward to hold. It just doesn't feel as durable and real as the KX. What gets me is that the SF10 was made after the KX but the KX is in many ways better. True, the SF10 would be good for action shots, but with practice I think I could do just as good with the KX.
The real question is: why don't they still make these? I swear, however decided to cut production of the KX should go back to wherever he came from and relearn life( just joking, maybe).
Thank you for helping me guys, especially to ChrisPlatt for his speedy shipment. I owe you a bunch.
01-21-2009, 03:24 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Congratulations! I'm really happy & excited for you. My KX needs to jump in front of my film rotation line NOW! as you've inspired me...
01-21-2009, 06:26 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Good on you, EagleEye! Looking forward to your photos from your KX.
01-21-2009, 06:46 PM   #73

Original Poster
I have a printer that can also scan book pages and print them off. Would I be able to upload a photo that way?
01-21-2009, 09:28 PM   #74
Site Supporter

I have a printer that can also scan book pages and print them off. Would I be able to upload a photo that way?
Generally speaking, combo scanner are usually not the way to go. You could probably do a fair job on scanning prints but negatives would be doubtful. Just for a starting point, research the Epson V700 and V500 for specs and features.
01-22-2009, 07:32 AM   #75

Original Poster
The negatives are the brown film that you get after you get your photos back from the shop, right?