Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2009, 11:31 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think of them as orange, yes.

01-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #77

Original Poster
I think I'll just be loading already developed film onto the computer, as in picture form.
01-22-2009, 04:13 PM   #78
Pentaxian

You can also get a photo CD made when you have the film processed.
My Walgreens drug store does a pretty nice job, and it's not expensive.

Chris
01-23-2009, 02:25 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by EagleEye Quote
I think I'll just be loading already developed film onto the computer, as in picture form.
This would be a good time for a little terminology. "Developing" refers to the process of making the film no longer sensitive to light. So the term only applies to the brown (orange, whatever) strip of film and has nothing to do with prints. Traditionally most people have had prints made at the same time they have the film developed, so most people probably think of having film "developed" as meaning handing the roll of film to somebody and having a stack of photographs handed back to them.

In general use, non-photographers don't care and it really doesn't matter. Among photographers, though, we make a distinction between "developing" and "printing", so it is good to be clear on the terminology in order to reduce misunderstandings.

Check at the place you have the film developed and you may find that you can have the photos scanned and placed on a CD as JPG files for a very low fee.

What I do is to specify "developing only....no prints" in order to save a little money. I have a nice scanner that can handle negatives so I do the scanning myself at home. (Doing a roll as I type this). I can then work on the photos in my computer if necessary and I have a nice eight-color photo printer to run off my own prints cheaper than having it done at a shop.

01-23-2009, 08:28 AM   #80
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Keep in mind that if you have someone like CVS scan them to disk, the quality will vary from place to place and they won't do anything special during or post scan. If you have to do it that way for a while until you can get your own scanner that is ok. And it would also depend on the purpose of the pics. For example, standard family photos or snap shots would be o.k. but if you are doing something to push the envelope, that's when the limitations of CVS would show up.