Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2009, 06:44 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EagleEye Quote
Yeah, sorry, I ment the k1000. I may look at the kx, since I believe it's part of the same series, and has field of depth preview, and other such goodies. Is the quality like the k1000?
séamuis has got you covered in film body recommendations.

I highly recommend you get a body that's not largely reliant on batteries to make it work, though. It's nice to be able to still shoot when the batteries (or electronics itself) go kaput on you.

So I'll push you to get either the KX or MX, or some other K-mount film SLR from another manufacturer which isn't reliant on batteries aside from metering (I'm not versed with non-Pentax K-mount carrying SLRs).

The MX is pretty small, though, like others have mentioned. It would be better if you can get one in your hands first to see if you like the handling on that one before committing to a purchase of either the KX or MX.

With the K1000 becoming a sort-of cult camera, one might be tempted to get that, but I find the lack of DOF preview on that camera makes it an iffy buy, especially since you might be able to get other K-series cameras cheaper.

The Ricohs seem to be underdogs. Maybe you can get one for a really good price, since people usually overlook those in favor of the, well, K1000 (I guess).

01-09-2009, 07:52 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Two hundred bucks?

A Pentax SV and a bagful of Takumars.
01-09-2009, 08:17 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I've got a nice spotmatic in the marketplace now that includes a super takumar 55mm f1.8 lens (and an option for a 3rd party 28mm f2.8). You might want to check that out as an option. I don't have a battery for it so you would need to find one for it.

You could then pick up some other Takumars with your spare cash and have a nice set to work with.

Spotmatic starter kit
01-09-2009, 10:19 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Well, yes, I agree 100% with Mike Cash - but refrained from suggesting this out of respect for the perceived wish for K mount .

My ideal would be SP / SP II / ES II / SP1000 / SP F - whichever came at a good price and working well - plus a passel of appropriate Takumars. And plenty of $$ left over for a ton of film & developing.

The K cameras are pretty much like the Spotmatics - eg. K1000 = SP1000. The M cameras are smaller and a bit more modern. The Pentax K mount lenses seem to go at higher prices than the Takumars, on the average.

Takumars are in fact easier to use on digital SLRs than non-A K lenses.

01-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #20

Original Poster
I'm now looking between the KX and the spotmatic. And if I decide to go spotmatic I'll definetaly keep you in mind, arpaagent. That's a very apealing offer.
01-09-2009, 01:53 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I think you'll be happy with either (and may end up with both, once we get our hands on you...)

Here's a great pic that Mechan1c just posted of his new Spottie
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/46285-new-spot...me-anyway.html

Here's my KX

and a less-than great photo of the KX and SP1000 side by side

Just to give you something to look at
01-09-2009, 02:22 PM   #22
Banned

you are cruel nesster.

01-09-2009, 07:02 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Nesster, no!!! Quit making me lust for a KX!
01-10-2009, 04:38 PM   #24

Original Poster
Okay, Nesster, you got me. I'm gonna buy a kx as soon as I can. Does anyone uppose my decsion and want to persuade me to something else?
01-10-2009, 06:11 PM   #25
Veteran Member

The MX is better
01-10-2009, 06:24 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Okay, Nesster, you got me. I'm gonna buy a kx as soon as I can. Does anyone uppose my decsion and want to persuade me to something else?
You don't seem to understand the inevitable progression involved here.

It isn't a matter of what camera you get. It is a matter of what order you get them in. (Surely you aren't silly enough to think you'll stop with just one, are you?)
01-10-2009, 06:38 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote

It isn't a matter of what camera you get. It is a matter of what order you get them in. (Surely you aren't silly enough to think you'll stop with just one, are you?)
Decisions, decisions

MX - viewfinder and winder
KX - MLU and size

O What the . . . just get them both!
01-10-2009, 07:25 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
The MX is better
I'll push you towards the KX, just to provide a point for debate.

But seriously, the MX is great.

If you do intend to collect camera bodies, though, it might be better to get the KX since it was made in smaller quantities, being overshadowed by the MX just a year after the KX's release.

That, mirror lock-up, and if you'd rather have the match needle metering than the LED one are reasons to go for the KX. You can add size to the MX via a winder if you feel it's very small for your hands.
01-10-2009, 08:00 PM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote

I will eventually collect. But I am 14 and have a limited flow of money. An investmant like that would be big for me. So I want to get one that will serve a semi beginner well.
01-10-2009, 08:42 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I will eventually collect. But I am 14 and have a limited flow of money. An investmant like that would be big for me. So I want to get one that will serve a semi beginner well.
Bless you. I have a 14 year old son myself and I wish he had any interest at all in photography.

Still the same issue, though. Only with limited funds it will necessarily be longer between each new addition. Fortunately, there are many very nice film cameras out there at relatively cheap prices, since practically everybody is going digital these days.

The most important consideration for you in your situation is that the camera be in good mechanical working order. After all, you don't want to get one and then not be able to use it while you're saving up money to have it repaired. The question of features and M42 mount or K-mount is secondary.

There may even be some big-hearted generous Pentax Forums member who would be willing to gift you a starter camera if they have some extras lying about. I wouldn't be surprised.