Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2009, 11:46 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
B&W Film

I recently found a couple rolls of Kodak B&W Tri-X - expired a couple of years ago. I was going to shoot them just for the heck of it, but then I thought - who will be able to process the negatives? From anyones experience here, is this something I should send off?

01-07-2009, 11:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter

There has got to be some custom labs still in business. I would have them do a snip-test, where they "snip off" a few frames of film and develop it normally. then from the results, they can push or pull the development for a better result. Expect to pay a bunch extra, though.
01-07-2009, 11:56 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Most One-Hour-Lab stores won't have the equipment or chemicals to process true B&W film, but some will offer to send them to an outlab for processing, usually for a fee. If you're not going to do them yourself, I would heartily recommend looking around for a lab that does it and taking the rolls in directly. It saves trouble with communication breakdown, and allows you to ensure they are using the proper developers (a lot of B&W labs seem to skimp on this, or run all their film through the same batch of chemicals when obviously different B&W films respond to different processes). We send all our B&W orders at work to an outfit in Vancouver called Option Photo, and apparently their QC is pretty sketchy, as they process the rolls by hand and don't seem to know how to get the most out of each type of film.

I haven't tried my hand at doing it myself, but everyone I've asked on the forum has told me to do my own, because it allows much better control of the process. Apparently it can be done fairly cheaply, with minimal space.
01-08-2009, 03:13 AM   #4
Inactive Account

do it by yourself. quick and easy.

1. developer, wash.
2. fixer, wash.
3. photoflo (use dish-detergent to wash)

fun and satisfying process.

01-08-2009, 03:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I do think that you can send it to any lab outcountry. I live in sweden and I send my b&w (and acctually the same as you, Tri-X) to germany. So there are still labs out there that do the job. Ask in a big photostore and maybe they will know

Regards

Emil
01-08-2009, 05:04 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by david87 Quote
do it by yourself. quick and easy.

1. developer, wash.
2. fixer, wash.
3. photoflo (use dish-detergent to wash)

fun and satisfying process.
Yes, it's easier than you might think. You need a tank and 35mm reel (or two, to develop two , indentically exposed films at once), a graduated measuring cylinder (300-500ml), a thermometer (I use a cheap ~2 USD- fish tank thermometer), a small funnel, and about three bottles (for developer, stop and fixer) and also a couple of cheap clips (like those used for drying the laundry ) and of course, a developer and fixer. For the stop bath I use a little amount of vinegar.
Well, these are the tools I use to develop the film. Unfortunately I don't have enough space and money to proceed with the enlarging (printing) process
For the moment I'm only scanning them (the negatives), and printing one-two or more.
01-08-2009, 11:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If there isn't a lab there in MI that can handle processing for you, you might give Dwayne's Photo a try. Have heard good things from several members here about them.
01-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #8

A quick Google search gave me this:

Michigan:

Titan Professional Photo Lab Inc., Troy, Michigan
The very best image reproduction for more than 30 years. High quality, experienced, custom photo lab, traditional photo processing and printing and state-of-the-art digital imaging services. Photo lab services include conventional photo printing, hand-made color and black and white enlargements, direct digital printing, fine art Giclée prints on canvas and art paper, E-6 and C-41 film processing, slides, internegatives and slide dupes, film and flat art scanning and computer retouching. Print finishing on your choice of mounting boards and substrates, lamination protects your work from UV, dirt and fingerprints.

Allied Photographic & Imaging, Grand Rapids, Michigan
Family owned full service photo lab and digital service bureau, in business since 1945. Traditional lab offers Kodak Q-Lab dip and dunk processing of E-6, C-41 and B&W. Machine and custom printing of color and black and white, including volume and package printing for pros. Digital services include large format inkjet prints, low to hi-res scans, retouching, film output, dye sub prints and more. Ftp file transfer.

Michigan Photo Company, Bay City, Michigan
Photo processing lab specializing in proofing and printing professional portraits, senior pictures, sports teams, proms, and children's events. Kodak Q-Lab offers extensive color and b/w services. Digital imaging services include retouching, compositing, print output to 20x24 and negatives from PC/Mac files. See their Photochromes (color subject with b/w background.)

Prep Film Services Lab, Northville, Michigan
Cine film processing. 16mm black and white and color reversal processing. 16mm black and white negative positive processing, Super8 color and black and white film processing. Video transfer for 8mm, Super 8mm and 16mm film. 35mm film sales, including quantity orders.

The Presentation Center, Troy, Michigan
Southern Michigan's full service visual presentation company specializing in the production of presentations and shows using such tools as multimedia, 35mm slides and overhead transparencies. We also offer large format printing services, used primarily for display advertising, presentation boards and signage.

01-11-2009, 11:12 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Man, I have been busy. I forgot I even posted this. Thanks for the tips and the searches!. I had not even checked things out as far as details in the area, but was wondering what had been used by others. I'll look at the details soon ( I gotta borrow Dads film camera to shoot it)

Scott