Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
My SPII

Hey all! I've posted a couple times before, but wanted to stop and say hi. I just totally scored a sweet SPII yesterday from freecycle.com here locally in SoCal. It came with a leather case and carrying strap that mounts to the tripod hole. Also, included two lenses, the famed SMC Takumars in both 50mm f/1.4 and 135mm f/3.5 editions. Also, a couple teleconverters...a 2x and 3x. Lens cloths, cleaner, air brush, etc. Also a Vivitar flash unit... All FREE!

Today I went down and purchased a battery and a roll of Kodak Gold ISO 200 for it (next will be B&W). I'm using the model 386 from Energizer, as I could not put hands on a 387. In order to get it in there + side up, I punched the plastic insert battery holder out, and then used some thin cardboard to build up a circle area to contain the battery. I then put the battery in with a 1/8" thick piece of aluminum foil to make up the difference. The meter seems to work like a champ! I compared needle readings to my fortune of a Sekonic L-508. For instance...wide open f/1.4 indoor with ISO 200, at 1/125 second exposure, the meter was reading right down the middle on the camera...the Sekonic read back and forth, f/1.4 and f/1.0. I am pleased with that result! I am going to run some trial outdoor as well just to see.

I figure I'd run 50 or so exposures before sending in for its CLA. The camera seems to be in good working order, however the gasket where the mirror flips up is pretty well shot (probably from cleaning and bumping it). Also, the meter switch will not stay up, or on. So you have to hold it up, or put the lens in auto mode to use it. When you let go of it, it shuts off. If anything it will just lend to saving my battery!

So far I am a VERY satisfied Pentax (Asahi BTW) Spotmatic SPII owner! It really is a great way to get back to my roots, and ditch the Canon 10D!

Serial # is 546xxxx...any ideas what year this may be?

Thanks all! Great forum BTW...lots of outstanding info!

Sam

01-08-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by yosemitesamiam Quote
I just totally scored a sweet SPII yesterday... Sam
Sweet!!!

Just in case:
For repairs and CLA Home Eric will fix that switch and anything else that he finds.

Spotmatic family info Die Cast Pro - Spotmatic Family Traits

Lens info View all Takumar lens types
01-08-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Ditching a 5ish year old cam for a 35+ year old one ftw!
01-08-2009, 03:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I wish I could get my stuff to Eric ... but the shipping would be exorbinant from here.

I have a couple of contacts in Sydney to try though ... as I have one freebie Spotmatic to get cleaned/adjusted/etc. My other Spotmatic SP is lucky in excellent working order.

Nice pickup with the lenses as well Sam ... freebies are always good to get.

01-08-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ummmm...maybe I should check into freecycle...

Steve
01-08-2009, 07:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
Yeah ... especially if you can pick that sort of gear up for free.
01-08-2009, 09:26 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
What's even more unreal...the guy listed the stuff mid-November! He had some 10 year old digicam that went right away, and no one even asked about the Pentax gear. I couldn't believe it...I was just happy to get the lenses, a 98% fully functional camera in great shape is just the cream on the top!

01-08-2009, 10:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Now I'm curious what freecycle.com is. Anyway, sweet deal! Like I always say, free is always a good price for admission.
01-09-2009, 01:07 AM   #9
Banned

wow I'm quite envious of your deal FREE is always great! enjoy you Spotmatic II, its a wonderful camera. and it will take better pictures than other SPII's because it was FREE.
01-09-2009, 06:08 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SWEET DEAL!!!!
No need for the 1/8 inch aluminum foil
just pry the bottom contact gently with a flat screwdriver

Now, spend some $10 a get a set of new light seals from Jon Goodman, replae them and you'll be good to go for a long time.
01-09-2009, 09:09 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
SWEET DEAL!!!!
No need for the 1/8 inch aluminum foil
just pry the bottom contact gently with a flat screwdriver

Now, spend some $10 a get a set of new light seals from Jon Goodman, replae them and you'll be good to go for a long time.
I thought Jon Goodman was a comedian and actor? LOL

Dunno man...not totally secure in my "small parts with sticky stuff" ability. The other light seals look fantastic, like it was done not too long ago. The one by the mirror is the only one that bothers me...then again, do the parts there actually ever touch? I'd just be afraid of scratching or breaking the mirror with that gasket worn down.

The previous owner did tell me he had paid good money to have the light meter switch fixed...but then it broke again some 4-5 rolls later. I'm not convinced that I care about having it fixed...like told, it is a great battery saver not having it on!

I'll check into prying that contact up a bit right now! Thanks for the idea!

Sam
01-09-2009, 09:12 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
wow I'm quite envious of your deal FREE is always great! enjoy you Spotmatic II, its a wonderful camera. and it will take better pictures than other SPII's because it was FREE.
Yes, I would be happy with great pictures! Mostly landscape I'm sure...since there is no way my kids are going to stand still enough for frame, focus, meter, adjust speed, cheeeeeeeeze, and snap. That is where the Canon 10D shines! I'm sure the Pentax will be a higher quality photograph though. Would love to compare my now two 50mm f/1.4 lenses though! (Canon vs Takumar)
01-09-2009, 09:23 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yosemitesamiam Quote
Yes, I would be happy with great pictures! Mostly landscape I'm sure...since there is no way my kids are going to stand still enough for frame, focus, meter, adjust speed, cheeeeeeeeze, and snap.
That's where you want the Spotmatic ESII. Just focus and snap.
01-09-2009, 09:25 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
That's where you want the Spotmatic ESII. Just focus and snap.
Yeah well...beggars can't be choosers I suppose! If an ESII comes up on freecycle, I'll grab it! LOL
01-09-2009, 10:41 AM   #15

Original Poster
You guys really need to jump on the freecycle bandwagon. I just missed (by a couple days) a Mamiya 1000 DTL with four 42mm lenses...I guess the person also had a Canon AE-1 that left a week ago. LOL Lots to be had, I guess folks don't really see 35mm cameras as worth anything?