Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #16
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
Hee hee ... this Sun Optics lens would be just as effective as a Police officer's nightstick.
It's a solid bit of gear ... hence the screw-in tripod collar.

Now ... any idea would be best for cleaning these ... I know about cleaning lenses ... but what can be used for lens barrels and the like ... also for camera bodies as well .. would be interesting to see how it comes up ... cos in the pics above it really doesn't show the amount of dust/dirt on the actual camera (between the dials on the top it is filthy ... internally loks really clean though).
I honestly do not know. I would likely just make sure to cover the lens elements and use mild warm water and a bit of elbow grease. maybe a toothbrush? I certainly wouldn't use any solvents or other chemicals to clean it.

01-09-2009, 03:30 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I didnt realise there were small windows there ... until I was shown on my other Spottie by the previous owner ... so you can see what i mean about dirty.

I have actually a set of lens tissues and cleaning solution ... but will give the rubbing alcohol a go on it ... Q-tips are a great idea ... thanks for the info.
01-09-2009, 07:05 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Have you ever held a Nikon F lens? Or for that matter, the 'small' Nikon - the Nikkormat FT?

Spotmatics and Takumars are featherweights and the tiny cameras of their era.
Can't say that I have. Old Nikon bodies look bulky enough as it is.
01-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
at least that's how the preset works on Takumars. it can also give you the option of using all sorts of different aperture settings as oppossed to just the preset numbers, though I dont know if the Spotmatic can meter correctly that way. I dont even know if a Pentax DSLR can meter it correctly but I imagine it could.
The answer is Yes (Spotmatics can meter presets correctly) and Yes (digital can too). As you have surmised presets yield an infinite number of f/stops. It is one of the reasons I really like preset lenses. Adjust aperture until meter reads EXACTLY as you want it to.

The standard lens I use on my ZX-M is a 58mm preset Takumar. Very compact lens. Looks a bit like a pancake and works GREAT.

woof!

01-10-2009, 01:02 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let's see if the attachment works, I ahev marked where they should be....
if you have a chance to go to used book stores try finding H.Keppler's "The Asahi Pentax Way"
it is fantastic
the 6th edition covers up to the ESII and the latest editions cover up to the M series

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
I didnt realise there were small windows there ... until I was shown on my other Spottie by the previous owner ... so you can see what i mean about dirty.

I have actually a set of lens tissues and cleaning solution ... but will give the rubbing alcohol a go on it ... Q-tips are a great idea ... thanks for the info.
Attached Images

01-10-2009, 01:13 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow ... I didn't look that closely on the meter switch either ... there's one there too.
01-10-2009, 08:19 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Have you ever held a Nikon F lens? Or for that matter, the 'small' Nikon - the Nikkormat FT?

Spotmatics and Takumars are featherweights and the tiny cameras of their era.
I can attest to small size and light weigth of the Spotmatic as compared to its contemporaries. Ever heft a Topcon or a Miranda from the 60s? The Spotmatic reigned supreme as the ultimate compact 35mm SLR until the debut of the Olympus OM-1 in the 70s.

Steve