Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2009, 11:06 AM   #1

Spotmatic SPII and flash synch.

Hi. I just got my first couple of rolls back after trying out my 'new' Spotmatic. I have never been so excited. The quality of the prints are amazing, and to think I was using really cheap film! I just know I am going to be a slave to Super Takumar lenses to my dying day! I don't care what anyone says, none of my other Pentax K lenses come close.

Anyway, what I want to ask your opinion about is; in all the photos where I used bounce flash, with my Vivitar 2800 Flash, there is a thin dark-ish shade (about 20mm down the left hand side of the print. I am wondering if the flash synch is out of 'synch' (pardon the pun)? Any ideas?
Thanks. Brian.

01-09-2009, 11:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It sounds like possibly the shutter might need adjustment. Perhaps a CLA might be in order?
01-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

What shutter speed were you using?
01-09-2009, 11:47 AM   #4
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
It sounds like possibly the shutter might need adjustment. Perhaps a CLA might be in order?
I think that is likely the problem, (not counting some sort of film development problem) and if that's the only problem it shouldn't cost too much to have it adjusted. I don't know what Eric would charge if that's all you need done but I would suggest a full CLA anyway just to make sure your camera is in tip top shape. if you really do plan on using your Spotmatic often its a worthwhile investment.

Home

01-09-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

reason I asked, the sync speed is 1/60 and if set faster than that you'd get the banding also.
01-09-2009, 12:38 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the helpful replies. I think I will shoot another couple of rolls just to eliminate the possibility of film development error. I was shooting at 1/60th shutter speed. I have seen a link to Eric's website on other thread's so I am off now to see if I can find it. By the way, as I live in Ireland does anyone know where I could get a full CLA nearer to hand? UK perhaps? But if Eric is the best I will use him regardless of shipping costs.
01-09-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Brianog Quote
Thanks for the helpful replies. I think I will shoot another couple of rolls just to eliminate the possibility of film development error. I was shooting at 1/60th shutter speed. I have seen a link to Eric's website on other thread's so I am off now to see if I can find it. By the way, as I live in Ireland does anyone know where I could get a full CLA nearer to hand? UK perhaps? But if Eric is the best I will use him regardless of shipping costs.
then I would go back to a shutter speed problem. I don't know about the UK but I have heard (obviously cant confirm) that 'Asahi Photo' is a bad choice as they seem to do a sub-par job. the only one that comes to mind is 'Harrow Technical' Pentax Camera Repairs Direct again not being in the UK I cant really help.

01-09-2009, 01:39 PM   #8

Original Poster
It's funny you should mention that Seamus. I had a job done on the focus screen on my K100D with Asahi Photo and it came back only okay-ish. Never quite the same again. Thanks for the link to Harrow. I will check them out. I have an aunt and uncle living in Harrow.
01-09-2009, 01:45 PM   #9
Banned

It's funny you should mention that Seamus. I had a job done on the focus screen on my K100D with Asahi Photo and it came back only okay-ish. Never quite the same again. Thanks for the link to Harrow. I will check them out. I have an aunt and uncle living in Harrow.
well I guess that confirms it. a bad reputation well earned. sorry about your K100D though. glad I can help and I hope Harrow can be of help to you. (they are no Eric though)
01-09-2009, 01:56 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks again Seamus for that tip! Eric it is so!
01-09-2009, 02:17 PM   #11
Banned

Thanks again Seamus for that tip! Eric it is so!
if you want to send it to him you wont be disappointed I know from (multiple) experiences. but in all seriousness I imagine Harrow could do just as well. the real thing is the price difference between USD and GBP I see the price for a CLA from harrow for your SPII is £56.50 I think Eric's current charge for a Spotmatic is $63.00

63 USD is roughly 42 GBP
56.50 GBP is roughly 86 USD

what do you feel is the better choice?
01-09-2009, 11:15 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
if you want to send it to him you wont be disappointed I know from (multiple) experiences. but in all seriousness I imagine Harrow could do just as well. the real thing is the price difference between USD and GBP I see the price for a CLA from harrow for your SPII is £56.50 I think Eric's current charge for a Spotmatic is $63.00

63 USD is roughly 42 GBP
56.50 GBP is roughly 86 USD

what do you feel is the better choice?

My heart says "send it to Eric." From hearing all the reports I feel he will do a very thorough job, checking the camera all over, as well as making minor repairs. Whereas I think Harrow will focus only on the specific repair job that needs to be done. I could be wrong and unfair to Harrow. Has anyone any experience of dealing with Harrow?