Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2009, 06:01 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
A black K2 with a 50mm f2 M lens went for $133.50 and a chrome one with a 50mm f1.7 M lens went for $51 and a KX chrome body went for $36. Considering the lens, the Chrome K2 was a good deal.

PENTAX K2 35MM SLR CAMERA-BLACK w/ 50mm LENS & CASE - eBay (item 220339708504 end time Jan-11-09 17:51:08 PST)

PENTAX K2 35MM SLR CAMERA w/ 50mm f/1.7 LENS & CASE - eBay (item 220339705287 end time Jan-11-09 17:42:06 PST)
You seem like someone who's a veteran eBay bidder. I usually lose out on the best deals, probably got sniped at the last minute. What's your advice for someone who almost always loses out like me?

01-12-2009, 08:01 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
You seem like someone who's a veteran eBay bidder. I usually lose out on the best deals, probably got sniped at the last minute. What's your advice for someone who almost always loses out like me?
I'm not really and expert and have never used a snipe service. If you count everything I've bought and sold over the past 8 years, maybe. I was watching those out of interest. I already have a chrome K2 that is in excellent working conditioned and has been cla. I was watching the black one. I forgot the other one had the M f1.7 on it. I was also just monitoring the KX. The best thing is to guess what you think the person's highest bid is and what you are willing to pay and put that in with 14 seconds to go on the last step. There is always a chance of a last minute group of bids coming in and something going for a ridiculous price. I avoid getting caught up in bidding wars.
01-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've found the best eBay attitude is to Not Really Want It but to throw in a bid anyway. Somehow this sometimes works to produce a sweet buy. Often the thing gets bid way past... but the times that doesn't happen, sweeet!
01-12-2009, 10:35 AM   #19
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
bid.

then bid higher.

then bid higher than the item is likely worth.

then bid higher.

within the last 10 seconds..... bid higher.

01-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I'm not really and expert and have never used a snipe service. If you count everything I've bought and sold over the past 8 years, maybe. I was watching those out of interest. I already have a chrome K2 that is in excellent working conditioned and has been cla. I was watching the black one. I forgot the other one had the M f1.7 on it. I was also just monitoring the KX. The best thing is to guess what you think the person's highest bid is and what you are willing to pay and put that in with 14 seconds to go on the last step. There is always a chance of a last minute group of bids coming in and something going for a ridiculous price. I avoid getting caught up in bidding wars.
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
bid.

then bid higher.

then bid higher than the item is likely worth.

then bid higher.

within the last 10 seconds..... bid higher.
Wait it out then until the last few seconds. Kinda tedious, but I guess I'll try that.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I've found the best eBay attitude is to Not Really Want It but to throw in a bid anyway. Somehow this sometimes works to produce a sweet buy. Often the thing gets bid way past... but the times that doesn't happen, sweeet!
Good suggestion. I'll try this too.
01-12-2009, 08:38 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Best Ebay strategy -

Bid once, whatever you think it is worth to you, or that you are willing to pay. Check back after the auction. If you do not win, even if just barely outbid, someone paid too much for it.

You may wish to wait until close to the auction end time to bid, to avoid giving other bidders info.

It helps if you already have too much camera stuff, so that when you lose it really is for the better.
01-12-2009, 09:10 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Best Ebay strategy -

Bid once, whatever you think it is worth to you, or that you are willing to pay. Check back after the auction. If you do not win, even if just barely outbid, someone paid too much for it.

You may wish to wait until close to the auction end time to bid, to avoid giving other bidders info.

It helps if you already have too much camera stuff, so that when you lose it really is for the better.
To me the best strategy is to use something like auctionsniper , set the highest price you'd like to pay, and let auctionsniper to bid for you in the last seconds. Worked for me several times

Sometimes you can also try you luck w/ some 'best offer' deals. I just won an MX+M50/1.7 combo for $80 (my best offer, which was about 35% lower than the seller's BIN price), hopefully the camera is in good working condition as stated in the ad ...

01-12-2009, 09:24 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Some strategies that will allow you to keep your shirt and make good deals when bidding on eBay:
  • Know your values ahead of time
  • Decide ahead of time what you are willing to pay
  • Bid once and bid late
  • Never make an emotional investment in any item
  • If something is rare and you really want one, look for a good "Buy it now"
  • "Make an offer" is better than bidding or "Buy it now"
  • Be aware of excess shipping charges. Anything more than the actual cost to ship is a service charge and excess cost to you. Many sellers pad the shipping to insure some profit from even a low bid auction. Bid your estimate of value minus the excess shipping.
  • Read the fine print regarding returns
  • Don't be afraid to ask detailed and specific questions about an item. In fact, ALWAYS ASK DETAILED AND SPECIFIC QUESTIONS! If the seller gives a "dumb" or inadequate response, bid low or not at all. A dumb seller is dumb for a reason. What you don't know, you are not liable for. Be doubly wary of descriptions that include the phrase, "I don't know anything about cameras...".
  • Somewhat contrary to the previous point...Don't be afraid to bid VERY low on a sketchy item. It is a bit of a gamble, but I got both of my film cameras with attached lenses for less than $50 (not $50 apiece...$50 total).

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-12-2009 at 09:33 PM.
01-12-2009, 09:29 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
To me the best strategy is to use something like auctionsniper , set the highest price you'd like to pay, and let auctionsniper to bid for you in the last seconds. Worked for me several times

Sometimes you can also try you luck w/ some 'best offer' deals. I just won an MX+M50/1.7 combo for $80 (my best offer, which was about 35% lower than the seller's BIN price), hopefully the camera is in good working condition as stated in the ad ...
Considering the lens, you should come out good. You could always have the MX CLA'd by Eric.
01-13-2009, 05:55 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote

Wow, good price! I never tried that Best Offer thing. I usually look at BIN price, then shrug it off if I find it expensive. I'm really not the best guy with haggling. I probably should give it a go.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Some strategies that will allow you to keep your shirt and make good deals when bidding on eBay:
  • Know your values ahead of time
  • Decide ahead of time what you are willing to pay
  • Bid once and bid late
  • Never make an emotional investment in any item
  • If something is rare and you really want one, look for a good "Buy it now"
  • "Make an offer" is better than bidding or "Buy it now"
  • Be aware of excess shipping charges. Anything more than the actual cost to ship is a service charge and excess cost to you. Many sellers pad the shipping to insure some profit from even a low bid auction. Bid your estimate of value minus the excess shipping.
  • Read the fine print regarding returns
  • Don't be afraid to ask detailed and specific questions about an item. In fact, ALWAYS ASK DETAILED AND SPECIFIC QUESTIONS! If the seller gives a "dumb" or inadequate response, bid low or not at all. A dumb seller is dumb for a reason. What you don't know, you are not liable for. Be doubly wary of descriptions that include the phrase, "I don't know anything about cameras...".
  • Somewhat contrary to the previous point...Don't be afraid to bid VERY low on a sketchy item. It is a bit of a gamble, but I got both of my film cameras with attached lenses for less than $50 (not $50 apiece...$50 total).

Steve
Good points Steve. I'll keep those in mind. I probably won't have a problem with that getting emotional thing. I try to be cheery about things. I actually have barely lost out on a local sale for an MX (my current target) that went for $60 with a 50/1.7 on it recently. I laughed it off.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Best Ebay strategy -

Noted. About too much camera stuff, well, I'm possibly getting there.