Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2009, 06:41 PM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I don't disagree

I did these shots in 1985.
Yah. I just didn't want you devving a modern roll for 32mins, and getting blank negs.

You or anyone else.

Kodak tends to be pretty coy about when it changes (not in response to customer feedback) films. Apparently, the new Tri-X uses half the silver or something. Might be why it takes half as long to dev.

My favourites, in terms of speed, are:

1) Kodak Tri-X pushed two or three stops.

2) Fuji Neopan 1600, at box.

3) Ilford Delta 400 push two stops.

01-16-2009, 08:17 PM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Yah. I just didn't want you devving a modern roll for 32mins, and getting blank negs.

You or anyone else.

Kodak tends to be pretty coy about when it changes (not in response to customer feedback) films. Apparently, the new Tri-X uses half the silver or something. Might be why it takes half as long to dev.

My favourites, in terms of speed, are:

1) Kodak Tri-X pushed two or three stops.

2) Fuji Neopan 1600, at box.

3) Ilford Delta 400 push two stops.
I've not tried Delta 400 at anything higher than 400. I've got a roll of Delta 3200 that I'm rating at 1600, so I'll see how it turns out.

Anyone have some samples of pushed HP5 Plus?
01-17-2009, 08:25 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Cool, Douglass.

As far as I remember, I generally had the impression that Neopan had less contrast but more detailed grey scale than T-max.

You may just have that the other way around, actually. I could *get* some contrast out of Tmax, but it always seemed a bit flatter, with the exception of that P3200 stuff. I think they may have changed the Tmax 400 since I last had any, though.

The Neopan, in general, I've found pretty constrasty, but overall good stuff. I had been about to go back to HP5, nonetheless, until I tried the Neopan 400 in D-76: this looks promising. I'm looking forward to getting these under the enlarger, actually. (Right now it's a little cold for the wet side of my darkrooom, )
That may very well be the case. At least my memory works that way that I much more easilly confuse two different options than that the memory would invent something in between. Let me dig up some of the old negatives and put them in the film scanner, and read my notes and my memory might improve
I never much liked the HP5, but can't remember why.
04-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #19
Forum Member

Kodak P3200 advice please

Hi, I have managed to get myself in a bit of a fix and could use some advice. (beginner here)

My daughter's wedding was this past weekend out of town (San Diego). Since everyone else was shooting digital color, I decided to use BW film to capture a different sort of look. As the bride's father, I was "asked" to not use my SLR but instead carry the p/s Minox GT-S as it is much less intrusive. (and takes nice shots)

I started the first night with a roll of Tri-X pan 400 and found it was just too slow, so I went back and purchased some Tmax P3200. I had forgotten that the ASA dial on the Minox is just for fun and instead it sets the film speed setting from the DX on the film.

Now for the fun part - I cannot seem to download the Kodak technical paper on this film to see if the DX is really telling my camera to assume 3200 or not. There have been some comments that it is really an 800 film, so did my camera use 800 or 3200 ?

I am planning to send the film into a commercial lab anyway ( most likely Praus Productions Inc. [4photolab.com] ) but I would like to tell them what I did.

BTW - if you happen to be in San Diego looking for film, these guys have a heck of a selection. http://georgescamera.com/

Thank you,

HarryN

04-08-2009, 08:10 PM   #20
Inactive Account

I just loaded my first Fuji 800 X-Tra roll today, 16 shots to go and I'll post something in a couple/few days.
04-09-2009, 03:34 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it is DX coded, then it was shot at 3200
Get it to the pro lab and see what happens.

QuoteOriginally posted by HarryN Quote
Hi, I have managed to get myself in a bit of a fix and could use some advice. (beginner here)

My daughter's wedding was this past weekend out of town (San Diego). Since everyone else was shooting digital color, I decided to use BW film to capture a different sort of look. As the bride's father, I was "asked" to not use my SLR but instead carry the p/s Minox GT-S as it is much less intrusive. (and takes nice shots)

I started the first night with a roll of Tri-X pan 400 and found it was just too slow, so I went back and purchased some Tmax P3200. I had forgotten that the ASA dial on the Minox is just for fun and instead it sets the film speed setting from the DX on the film.

Now for the fun part - I cannot seem to download the Kodak technical paper on this film to see if the DX is really telling my camera to assume 3200 or not. There have been some comments that it is really an 800 film, so did my camera use 800 or 3200 ?

I am planning to send the film into a commercial lab anyway ( most likely Praus Productions Inc. [4photolab.com] ) but I would like to tell them what I did.

BTW - if you happen to be in San Diego looking for film, these guys have a heck of a selection. http://georgescamera.com/

Thank you,

HarryN
04-09-2009, 04:18 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by HarryN Quote

BTW - if you happen to be in San Diego looking for film, these guys have a heck of a selection. George's Camera - Welome to San Diego's destination for photography equipment

Thank you,

HarryN
I see why you are worried. I've never heard about that this film could be coded as an ISO800 instead of a 3200, sounds strange to me. But as this is pretty important shots for you, here is what I would do.

I would buy two more of the same film, take a walk with the same camera and shoot 5-10 images on each film (of possible similar light conditions as on the wedding film(s)).

Then send them both to the lab and ask them to develop one for 800 ISO and the other for 3200 ISO.

If they are willing to (but ask first) you can shoot just one film and ask them to cut it it half and run one half on 800 and the other on 3200.

Then you compare the results and decide what to do with the important wedding film(s).

Good luck!

04-09-2009, 07:13 AM   #23
Forum Member

Thank you for the suggestions - that is a great idea.

I have read more reviews of the film and it most likely is in fact DX coded at 3200, but a test film run would be good insurance anyway.

Thanks

HarryN