Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2009, 07:46 AM   #1

ME and K2 with some rotten door seals and mirror bumper/stop

I have a couple old cameras that are showing their age in the door seals and that foam that the mirror slaps up against. (someone can educate me on its name). Whats the best solution for cleaning this gunk and replacing them? Are kits available or should a repairman do it? If so whats a good price range for these repairs. Thanks

01-17-2009, 07:55 AM   #2
Inactive Account

You can do the job. I would buy a kit from Jon Goodman. He sells on ebay as interslice.
His foam kits are the best. And he provides an instruction book with each kit.
He also has an article posted at CameraRepairForum on using the kits.

Here is his top kit.
The Finest Complete Camera Light Seal Foam Kit - PROOF! - eBay (item 120361473670 end time Jan-19-09 21:07:43 PST)
01-17-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
You can do the job. I would buy a kit from Jon Goodman. He sells on ebay as interslice.

Here is his top kit.
The Finest Complete Camera Light Seal Foam Kit - PROOF! - eBay (item 120361473670 end time Jan-19-09 21:07:43 PST)
As noted...you can do it. It requires a steady hand, but is not hard. You can also buy the raw materials from suppliers such as Micro Tools.

Steve
01-17-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Self repair versus professional repair

QuoteOriginally posted by arkansas72762 Quote
I have a couple old cameras that are showing their age in the door seals and that foam that the mirror slaps up against. (someone can educate me on its name). Whats the best solution for cleaning this gunk and replacing them? Are kits available or should a repairman do it? If so whats a good price range for these repairs. Thanks

Also consider sending both bodies to Eric Hendrickson for an evaluation. In addition to replacing the seals and mirror bumper foam he will clean and lube the shutter and film transport, replace the stoppers in the shutter and calibrate the meter and shutter speeds to factory spec. He will also lubricate the ASA/exposure compensation ring on the K2.

He was a Pentax technician for many years and also operated an independent Pentax repair service.

He is highly regarded on this Forum, does excellent work at a fair price, and does not charge (other than your initial shipping cost) for his estimate.

Review all 5 pages of his website here Home

I ahve no interest in his comany or this reference - I just pass along an excellent referral.

01-17-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote

Here is his top kit.
I second that. I go ahead and replace the seals and mirror foam whenever I buy another old camera. It really isn't hard once you get the hang of it.

For more intensive rehabilitation, it's off to Eric.
01-17-2009, 03:54 PM   #6
Pentaxian

If you replace your own seals, mineral spirits are a good solvent for dissolving old foam and glue. You want to avoid getting gunk on the mirror or focusing screen, but it's not a hard job. The original mirror seal on the MX has a cutout for the tab that allows the focusing screen to be replaced. Other replaceable screen cameras might be similar and the cutout is easy to duplicate.
01-18-2009, 05:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

More over, Jon posted instructions for most cameras her
Favorite Classics / Jon Goodman's Seal Replacement Instructions

a $10 kit will serve you for many cameras.... give it a shot is well worth it
01-18-2009, 07:58 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
I think both the bodies you mentioned are worth a full overhaul -- and I've had success with Eric Hendrickson as many of us here have. When he's done with them, it'll be like having two brand new cameras. He does really nice work and recommend him without reservation for your two film bodies.

01-21-2009, 11:20 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the great advise. I'm thinking I will give it a try and use eric as a backup. wish me luck!!
01-21-2009, 12:52 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
If you replace your own seals, mineral spirits are a good solvent for dissolving old foam and glue. You want to avoid getting gunk on the mirror or focusing screen, but it's not a hard job. The original mirror seal on the MX has a cutout for the tab that allows the focusing screen to be replaced. Other replaceable screen cameras might be similar and the cutout is easy to duplicate.

I want to reinforce what Dave said! I had some bits of mirror foam dissentegrate and get on the screen of my K1000. Now I may have to have it replaced or removed, cleaned and reinstalled.