Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elkarrde Quote
...since DA lenses don't have aperture ring, bodies that can't control aperture in-camera are stuck with fully closed aperture - not really useful...
I think you mean fully open aperture. At least that is how mine behave!

Edit: As pointed out by Troyz (below), on a non-digital camera the DA lenses always have maximum aperture in the viewfinder and minimum aperture for exposure. Not very useful at all. Sorry for any confusion I might have caused.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-18-2009 at 01:40 PM.
01-18-2009, 11:47 AM   #17
Veteran Member

You will not be able to use the DA lenses on the KX
from this Pentax F 30-135mm, Pentax FA 50 1.4, Sigma 50-500mm. I do not know which ones have aperture ring
You cna use those as well

Ilford Delta 100 is a very good film, but I think you should also try a 400 speed film, be it Ilford HP5 or Kodak TriX

QuoteOriginally posted by fabledviper Quote
Thanks for all of the replies everyone! After reading the posts and seeing the beautiful example pested by yitterbium I think I will adventure into film. I have been looking very closely at getting a Pentax KX and going the manual focus route. I intend to shoot mostly in black and white and I would like anyone's opinion on Ilford delta pro 100 film. As far as getting the images into my computer, is it possible to have a local photo lab just produce negatives and then I can use a negative scanner. Also thanks for the link jsherman999, I havent has the time to read it yet as I am on my way out the door to work, but I will when I return. Once again, thanks for all of the replies and if you have any more advice on making the jump to film please post.

Regards
01-18-2009, 12:24 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mer Quote
So get some good slide film ( like fuji velvia ) , some BW film , a cheap film camera with a fast lens ( 50mm F/1.7 if you don't already own one ) and a scanner . You shouldn't pay more than 100usd for all those . And remember ebay is your friend.
For a beginner I'd give somewhat different advice:

VELVIA:

I'd start with something easy to find and use; say Fuji superia/press 400 exposed at 400 or 320.

Don't get me wrong -- I *heart* Velvia -- but general-purpose C-41 (color negative) film has several advantages:

-- Exposure latitude: If you don't get the exposure right on Velvia you're hosed.
-- Color: Velvia produces very vivid color: it's great for scenics but lousy for skin tones.
-- Scanning: You can get C-41 scanned anywhere. I've tried getting Velvia scanned with a Noritsu minilab scanner; the results were a mess.

EBAY:

Try craigslist, or if you want to play it safe, the used department at a local camera store. Buy locally and inspect the merchandise. 'Nuff said.

I'll second the recommendation for the 50/1.7.

BTW, FAJ and DA lenses on non-A bodies expose at minimum aperture, not maximum.

Last edited by troyz; 01-18-2009 at 01:02 PM.
01-18-2009, 01:37 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by troyz Quote
...BTW, FAJ and DA lenses on non-A bodies expose at minimum aperture, not maximum.
Oops...my bad...I will amend my earlier post!

Maximum aperture in viewfinder...
Minimum aperture for exposure...

Steve

(And to think...I actually should have known that...)

01-18-2009, 10:45 PM   #20
WJW
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Better hurry though...prices for clean manual film cameras seem to be inching up. I was outbid today on a clean Ricoh Singlex TLS. The Ricoh was the last version and it did have the fast lens, but I still thought I was being generous with a bid of $62. Wrong again...it went for $86
For a TLS??? Don't get me wrong because I love mine (both of them) but that is crazy. Two years ago they were going for $25 SHIPPED with the 1.4 lens.
01-18-2009, 11:09 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If you are shooting color negatives, you probably don't need a scanner at all initially. I have my film processed at Costco and have them scan to CD rather than make prints. Cost per 36 exposure roll...less than $5.00.

Steve
Whoops, should have mentioned this

That is the route I take for testing cameras or for a color roll. Yes, a lab can give you negatives only, fabledviper.
QuoteOriginally posted by WJW Quote
For a TLS??? Don't get me wrong because I love mine (both of them) but that is crazy. Two years ago they were going for $25 SHIPPED with the 1.4 lens.
Guess that is a sign of the times. We've got people giving away cameras while at the same time people are making a killing on ebay...
01-18-2009, 11:56 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WJW Quote
Yep, for a TLS. I have one in mint++ condition, but was looking for a back-up...preferably with the 55/1.4 (I already have the 50/1.7). I got mine about 4 years ago for $25 with original case, box, cap, and straps! I have been monitoring the auctions for about a month and don't think I have seen a decent K-mount body go for less that $40 in that time. Many went for about twice that amount. I think there is a cult movement back to film and the K-mount systems are the cameras of choice

Steve

(Don't want to discourage the OP...there are still good values around. A nice KX with a 50/1.4 went for only about $65 just before Christmas. You just have to be patient. It also doesn't hurt to ask around to friends and relatives. You would be surprised how many people have cameras in beautiful condition stuffed away.)
01-19-2009, 02:23 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by troyz Quote

Don't get me wrong -- I *heart* Velvia -- but general-purpose C-41 (color negative) film has several advantages:

-- Exposure latitude: If you don't get the exposure right on Velvia you're hosed.
I had a roll of Fuji Reala Ace 100 in my Yashica D recently and had shot about 9 exposures Sunny 16 method with it before finishing the final 3 exposures about a week later. In the meantime, I had forgotten what film I had in it and thought I had Fuji Presto 400 in it. I shot those final 3 shots (with handheld meter) thinking I was shooting ISO 400 film. Result is that the final 3 shots were two stops underexposed.

The result:

Saved by color negative film's wonderful exposure latitude! If I had been shooting slide film I would have been screwed.

01-19-2009, 03:49 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I have just ventured into the world of film myself .... with my 2 Spotties.
I have Fuji Superia colour film on one of them now ... and a cheap roll of Kodak Colour Gold 200 in the other (non-working meter = Sunny 16 rule).

It's good fun ... looking forward to getting time to finish off the rolls and see the results.

I still use my Digitals though for family stuff and other bits and pieces ... the film is for a challenge .. and fun as well. And at least with film ... my shots get printed (unlike digital where they rot away on a hard drive somewhere).
01-19-2009, 09:54 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the additional replies! I did find a KX in excellent condition but I did have to pay a bit more than I wanted and it was body only. I am currently looking for a solid built 50mm manual lens (not sure what apeture) to go with the camera. If anyone has one they would like to sell please pm me to work out the details. Onto the subject of film, those fuji shots are are tempting me to shoot more that black and white. I have heard that c41 film is the easiest to scan but is not best quality wise when compared to Ilford and fuji non c41 films. Has anyone found this to be untrue? I agree with you Mechan1k about digital photos rotting on a hard drive. I have more than my fair share taking up disk space. RyanS, I see that you are from Madison, I live about 40 miles away. Are there any photo clubs in that area that you could direct me to? Thanks again everyone!

Regards
01-19-2009, 10:17 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Thanks for all of the replies everyone! After reading the posts and seeing the beautiful example pested by yitterbium I think I will adventure into film. I have been looking very closely at getting a Pentax KX and going the manual focus route. I intend to shoot mostly in black and white and I would like anyone's opinion on Ilford delta pro 100 film. As far as getting the images into my computer, is it possible to have a local photo lab just produce negatives and then I can use a negative scanner. Also thanks for the link jsherman999, I havent has the time to read it yet as I am on my way out the door to work, but I will when I return. Once again, thanks for all of the replies and if you have any more advice on making the jump to film please post.

Regards
I use HP5 which is a 400 ISO film and I develop the film myself. It's not hard to do and you don't really need a dark room to do it. You just need a room that is dark to transfer the film to developing tanks. Once they're in, you can develop with lights on.

I use Kodak D-76. It's the most economical developer I have access to since I develop at least 10 rolls every couple of weeks.

Also, if you can get your hands on a bulk roller, you can roll your own film from 100ft spools. That might be a bit much, but I find that the DIY route is cheaper in the long run and it gives me latitude to experiment.

From there, I use an Epson V500 to scan them.

Dunno if this is helpful, but I'll be glad to provide more info if you're interested.
01-19-2009, 12:18 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I have heard that c41 film is the easiest to scan but is not best quality wise when compared to Ilford and fuji non c41 films. Has anyone found this to be untrue?

RyanS, I see that you are from Madison, I live about 40 miles away. Are there any photo clubs in that area that you could direct me to? Thanks again everyone!
Regarding the quality of C41 B&W films...they tend to have a color cast which most lab scanners will compensate for. If you DIY scan, you will have to correct this if you don't want the scanner to (probably) screw it up. The films such as Kodak BW400CN and Ilford XP2 are ok in a pinch, but flatter and muddier than any non-C41 B&W film.

Woo another Sconnie Where are you from? The only "clubs" I'm aware of is the MadisonMeets Flickr group, and they have a meet once a month and beers more often during the winter. I haven't had the opportunity to participate in one yet, though
01-19-2009, 08:28 PM   #28
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Regarding the quality of C41 B&W films...they tend to have a color cast which most lab scanners will compensate for. If you DIY scan, you will have to correct this if you don't want the scanner to (probably) screw it up. The films such as Kodak BW400CN and Ilford XP2 are ok in a pinch, but flatter and muddier than any non-C41 B&W film.

Woo another Sconnie Where are you from? The only "clubs" I'm aware of is the MadisonMeets Flickr group, and they have a meet once a month and beers more often during the winter. I haven't had the opportunity to participate in one yet, though
I live west of Madison in Spring Green. I met a local photographer, his name is Dick Ainsworth, and he mentioned that there is a club that meets on the west side near Marcus cinema. I have to call him to get the address, but I think they meet the second Thursday of every month. Also, if you are want great digital prints or need professional results, a guy I sold a Powermac G5 system to runs his own print shop near Cross Plains. His website is Starprintz studio offers digital large inkjet printing and select art and photography Let me know what you think of the site.
01-20-2009, 12:38 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I have heard of Starprintz on flickr...I have never used them but I might give them a try especially if I can get into selling some prints. The "guest" login thing didn't work...hmm...

If you can get the club info, I'd make the trek over to the west side to check it out...should be a good time
01-20-2009, 05:59 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Be very careful grasshopper. Going from the digital age (as I did) to the ''i will try film age'' is very addicting. LBA has nothing on CBA especially in regards to these incredibly sexy bodies like the K1000, ME SUPER, LX....There is very little that compares with having to wait to get your film back from the developer...It is always like Christmas...Then you place that metal film body in your hands, you turn that ultra smooth M50 F/1.4 lens in your hands as you compose and set your exposer....Wow....it is a rush...Not to mention all the cool different films you can try and see what you like...You will quickly fall in love with film grain as well....So be careful what you ask for...