Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2009, 08:28 AM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Nachodog Quote
Ilford HP5 400 ISO developed with Kodak D-76 and scanned with V500 @ 2400 dpi (resized for web).

Don't know what that weird pattern is over the goalie's right shoulder though.
I get those too sometimes, on home developed negs or lab processed c41. I always figured it was my fault.

01-22-2009, 08:53 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nachodog Quote
Ilford HP5 400 ISO developed with Kodak D-76 and scanned with V500 @ 2400 dpi (resized for web).

Don't know what that weird pattern is over the goalie's right shoulder though.

That pattern over the goalie's shoulder happens when the negative contacts the glass on the scanner in just that one area. I think it is called a "Newton ring".

I get them if my film has allot of curve, Tri-x tends to curl more then does Ilford Delta.

You can try to flatten the negative (pile of books), or scan the negative directly on the glass so that there is 100% contact.

I don't think it is a mark on the negative.

As for scanner settings, when I scan true BW film (silver emulsion), I turn off all sharpening features as it exagerates the film grain, I also turn off Digital ICE.

I deal with any dust in post process, and then I might sharpen a little.
01-22-2009, 11:30 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
That pattern over the goalie's shoulder happens when the negative contacts the glass on the scanner in just that one area. I think it is called a "Newton ring".

I get them if my film has allot of curve, Tri-x tends to curl more then does Ilford Delta.

You can try to flatten the negative (pile of books), or scan the negative directly on the glass so that there is 100% contact.

I don't think it is a mark on the negative.

As for scanner settings, when I scan true BW film (silver emulsion), I turn off all sharpening features as it exagerates the film grain, I also turn off Digital ICE.

I deal with any dust in post process, and then I might sharpen a little.
Thanks KungPOW, that'll make it easier for me to try to avoid those in the future. I haven't tried to get rid of it PP yet, but it'd be better to avoid them in the first place.

The film holder on the V500 is designed to flatten the negs. I'll have to check it out and see if I can correct it. The holder is pretty flimsy.
09-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #19
Inactive Account

If you're talking about JUST viewing them, like previewing them before scanning, here's what I do..

1. put the negatives on sleeves
2. open notepad on computer, switch it to full screen
3. get a piece of adhesive tape and tape the upper edge of the film sleeve on the upper part of the computer monitor
4. get your digicam, DSLR is better.. set it to the highest quality
5. take a photo the negatives while being backlighted by the computer monitor
6.transfer the image to your computer and open it with photoshop
7. on the menu bar, click "image" > "adjust" > "invert"
8. on color negatives, it might turn out bluish after doing step #7, just adjust the color using "color balance" also on photoshop

I haven't tried it on b/w but i hope this helps..

09-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #20
Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am old-school, so I like to do everything in the darkroom. Not only is it far more fun, it has the added advantage of minimizing any handling of the negatives that inherently results in more effort to deal with dust.

Once the negatives are dry, I am quick to cut them and sleeve them. I then use a *good* loupe (Peak 8x is a good one) to view the negatives against my light panel (you can get one of these off eBay for about $25 usually; they were originally used for viewing X-rays). If you do it that way, you will learn to spot decent images right away, and then you won't fuss with the other stuff.

After that, I just print them using my enlarger (Beseler 23C-IIXL). Expensive? I don't think so, personally, since I will have already narrowed down the image(s) I want from each roll. Processing your own negatives is great, but you are not even 1/2 the way there until you can print your own negatives, IMHO. That is where the real fun is, as well as the very real control you hold. Dodging and burning with your hands is a LOT easier than with a mouse
09-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do low resolution scans. This is real easy on the Epson V700 and a little more time-consuming with the Nikon 5000 ED, but worth the effort. When the proof scans are done, I print all to a single sheet using Lightroom and put the proofs and the negs in a binder just like in the old days

Steve