Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2009, 10:57 PM   #1
Forum Member

Which Pentax film SLR's are weatherproof?

I'm looking at getting a film SLR in the near future. Since I shoot in nasty conditions a lot I was wondering what models are weatherproof or at least weather resisant/built like a tank.

I've read that the LX is...are there any others? What about the MZ-S?

01-18-2009, 11:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PaddyB Quote
I'm looking at getting a film SLR in the near future. Since I shoot in nasty conditions a lot I was wondering what models are weatherproof or at least weather resisant/built like a tank.

I've read that the LX is...are there any others? What about the MZ-S?
I have a k1000 that is older then me (30 years) and MZ-7 that I bought in 2003. honestly I don't know about weather proof I am probably not going to help you but I can say that my cameras been to a lot!! and I mean A LOT!! and both models built like a tank. you hold it and feel like you holding a solid piece of machinery.
01-19-2009, 06:30 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

The LX is somewhat weather sealed, though I wouldn't trust them in a heavy rain. The lenses are not weather proof. You can get waterproof housings intended for scuba diving if you need extreme protection from the elements.
The most I've ever done is to use electrical tape to seal off some of the more obvious areas of intrusion and hope for the best.
Frankly, with the price of used film cameras now, I'd just buy cheap plastic ones from the MZ era and treat them as semi disposable cameras at this point if I was going to torture them to death.
01-19-2009, 09:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Frankly, with the price of used film cameras now, I'd just buy cheap plastic ones from the MZ era and treat them as semi disposable cameras at this point if I was going to torture them to death.
Just one thing... don't use the FA kit lens that came with the MZ the 28-80 is really week it feels week and it will not last much on though condition.
but if you attach an older lens or better lens to the MZ you will get a solid piece

01-19-2009, 10:33 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
By nasty conditions I mean high humidity, (moderate) exposure to dust/dirt/sand and light rain. No heavy rain or underwater use. My K10D has done nicely in such conditions although I found mold on the mount recently when I removed the lens. Perhaps I'll try the electrical tape idea.

So which of the MZ series are well built? Some of them are pretty cheap on ebay...can anyone give me a breakdown on the MZ's or a link thereto?

Thanks.
01-20-2009, 07:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

For this type of usage, I would get any one of the old all-metal mechanical models over the plastic MZ's any day, regardless of weather sealing. An MX or ME or KX or whatever will be built tank-like enough to probably sustain any amount of abuse you're likely to throw at it. AF might be important to you though, in which case I dunno.
01-20-2009, 05:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am not going to be much help either, but i can tell you that i dropped my K1000 in a stream and while it killed the film in it, I dried the camera and it continues to work like new. Even the M50F/2.0 survived and shows no sign of anything wrong.

01-20-2009, 07:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PaddyB Quote
By nasty conditions I mean high humidity, (moderate) exposure to dust/dirt/sand and light rain. No heavy rain or underwater use. My K10D has done nicely in such conditions although I found mold on the mount recently when I removed the lens. Perhaps I'll try the electrical tape idea.

So which of the MZ series are well built? Some of them are pretty cheap on ebay...can anyone give me a breakdown on the MZ's or a link thereto?

Thanks.

I can not recommend the MZ-7 enough as I said I took pictures with it even in the rain, dust, field trips and so on. I love this camera its easy to use its fast and simple.
the k1000 is a Tank but its very simple, some times its nice to have AV and TV mode also the biggest problem with the K1000 in the field is loading film. I am experienced with the process and still takes me good 10 min every time. in field/ rain/ dust condition is not recommended
08-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Z1 and Z-1P are Pro built. Not sealed, but they can stand a beating. And they are cheap, compared to what you get.
MZ-S are very expensive in comparison.

An all mechanical body, like e.g. MX or KX might handle well in tough environments.
LX have the dust- and weather-sealing. And you can get protective bags, to wrap around lenses

Last edited by Jonson PL; 08-15-2009 at 11:52 AM.
08-15-2009, 11:44 AM   #10
K-9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
The Z1 and Z-1P are Pro built. Not sealed, but they can stand a beating. And they are cheap, compared to what you get.
MZ-S are very expensive in comparison
I second that. My PZ-1p has been in the rain a bunch of times (although not for long periods of time) and it was not affected. It's probably the bulkiest SLR they made with a chunky grip that stays in your hand in all conditions. Easy to shoot one handed with AF if you have to.
08-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

All cameras, even sealed ones like the K10D, need to be kept dry when in storage. If you have mold growing on your gear, it could be a good time to look at silica gell packs, and sealed containers. I think it is more of a storage issue then a sealed camera issue.

As for a weather proof Pentax SLR, nothing was made that compaires to the K10D etc.

I think the top weatherproof film SLR was canon's EOS-1v. But for the cost of that body, you could do as Wheatfield sugested, and use multiple MZ bodies until they die.
08-15-2009, 12:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I can testify the Pentax MX will function for an hour or so in -40 C. For those of you still using Fahrenheit scale, Celsius and Fahrenheit are the same at -40. Wheatfield knows all about this sort of thing. I waited outside to get a shot of Rick Hansen's Man in Motion fund raiser.

Rick Hansen Foundation - The Man In Motion World Tour

It was bloody cold as I recall but the camera worked well. I don't take my gear out in the rain if I can help it so I can't report in this area.

Cheers

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 08-15-2009 at 12:35 PM. Reason: typo
08-15-2009, 12:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I take my Fuji ST605 and similar - the K1000 would do - out all day in the rain. Simple electrics for the meter, I just wipe them down afterwards. Seem to do fine.

I.e. I recommend a simple user camera that should it eventually die it won't be a huge loss. Works great.
08-15-2009, 01:18 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Get a Nikonos.

Chris
08-15-2009, 05:10 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Weather proof or not, My new to me ME-F got a good bath and kept on ticking...What can really go bad in an slr?