Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2007, 10:43 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Help me identify these pro films, please

Hi all, I need to tap into the collective wisdom of this forum.

My subjects are primarily fast moving objects (small children) and landscapes.

I recently bought several hundred rolls of expired 35mm film. The seller assures me that everything was kept in a fridge. The film came without boxes, so my guess is it dates from 2001-2004. That's about the time he switched over to digital for work related reasons.

I use mostly Superia 400 and Reala 100, so here's a whole bunch of film I don't know anything about. Specifically... 1) are there any films that shouldn't be used past their expiry date, 2) films that are plain bad, or 3) film that are really good or have a particular characteristic I should be aware of? Please help!

Fujicolor Press 800 - lots of these

Kodak Professional Supra 100
Kodak Professional Supra 400
Kodak Professional Supra 800

Kodak Ektapress 100, 100+, Gold100, PJ100 - lots of these
Kodak Ektapress 400+, Gold400, PJ400 - lots
Kodak Ektapress 1600 & Gold1600
Kokak Ektapress Multispeed - what the heck is this?

Fuji Super G Plus 100
Fuji Super G 400
Fuji Super HG 1600

Kodak Porta 160NC

There are a few rolls of other miscellaneous types. Provia100, Porta 400BW, Ektachrome E100VS.

-George

03-21-2007, 10:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
Fujicolor Press 800 - lots of these
Fuji's fast color print film. Sports. Has a fairly wide latitude, color palette for dimly lit hard primaries-bright reds, blues, greens, purples, yellow, etc. OK with faces especially with newspaper type repo processing. Stable in heat and cold.

Kodak Professional Supra 100
Kodak Professional Supra 400
Kodak Professional Supra 800
Actually an intermediate or prosumer line. Very wide natural palette. Pushable in 1, 2, 3 stops as rated speed increases. Works best if kept cold until about 30 minutes from use. You will get the best print results here if you find an old chemical based print lab-very good to excellent prints up to poster size. Scans very easily, even when pushed. Has a visible grain when printed with scanning reproduction printers like newer Frontier machines-very ugly, any sized print.

Kodak Ektapress 100, 100+, Gold100, PJ100 - lots of these
Kodak Ektapress 400+, Gold400, PJ400 - lots
Kodak Ektapress 1600 & Gold1600
Kokak Ektapress Multispeed - what the heck is this?
All similar to Fuji-stuff above. The Multi was an answer to Ilford MS(100) a film with 100-1000 latitude lots of fun to use and fun to process in a table-top home set-up. Ilford's is/was much better. Slightly cold slides but very scannable and excellent for projecting really big.

Fuji Super G Plus 100
Fuji Super G 400
Fuji Super HG 1600
Supers fell somewhere between Ektachromes with normal saturation and the Very Saturated (VS) stuff. Probably better contrast, certainly finer gradation in the color equivalent to B&W grain. General color palette.

Kodak Porta 160NC
Normal Color or Normal Contrast portrait film. If you have a mixed race group this was a best bet for getting things right. The stuff of portrait mills like those that do high school yearbooks.

There are a few rolls of other miscellaneous types. Provia100, Porta 400BW, Ektachrome E100VS.
Provia100/400 is still my slide film of choice. very fine grain, pushable to 2 stops, very even color palette. Can be used to create a neon strobing effect in certain high saturation scenes.

Portra 400BW, B&W portra-c41 process, takes some skill in the lab to keep whites from becoming pink. Done correctly a very warm creamy looking B&W.

Ektachrome E100VS, very cool, very saturated slide film, but not like Velvia. care with lighting and it does skin OK; mostly a studio product shot type film, but it does a good job with hard edge stuff out and about--think trains, circus rides and amusement parks--things with good shapes and bright colors.
03-22-2007, 07:15 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks John. That is just the information I was looking for.