Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2009, 10:29 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
...The Takumar 1:3.5/135 (preset) however is amazing. Easily as sharp as the DA*50-135, with great color and contrast, the only minor gripe is a tiny hint of CA, but really not bad - I'd estimate less than the DA* 16-50 exhibits (though keep in mind it's only my second day playing with this lens.)...
Wait until you try your new lenses on film. The performance bump will blow you away. Really!

Steve

01-21-2009, 10:31 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Battery for the Spotmatic?

The battery compartment is immaculate (!!!) but of course the battery was dead, so i can't test the meter yet? Are these batts easy to find?
01-21-2009, 10:39 PM   #33
Site Supporter

The battery compartment is immaculate (!!!) but of course the battery was dead, so i can't test the meter yet? Are these batts easy to find?
The original battery (PX-400 1.35v) contained mercury and is no longer available. Currently available silver cells (Energizer E387S is one compatible model) should work even though they are a slightly higher voltage (1.55v). The Spotmatic has a compensating bridge circuit so the higher voltage is not an issue.

Steve
01-21-2009, 10:47 PM   #34
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Open the film door and look for sticky black stuff around the edges on the body. If they look ok and aren't coming apart they're good.

Also look at the mirror bumper and see if it's disintegrating or sticky. If it's either/both, you'll have to redo them.

It's not hard at all...John's kit is cheap, complete, and gives instructions on doing it. I've done 4 cameras now...it's kind of fun actually
On both Spotmatics I picked up last night (one of which is in excellent condition), there is no sign of any felt on the body inside the film door. But there is felt on the mirror sides and on the mirror seat.

Perhaps the felt on the body was not needed on the Spotmatics, for whatever reason?

01-21-2009, 10:51 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The original battery (PX-400 1.35v) contained mercury and is no longer available. Currently available silver cells (Energizer E387S is one compatible model) should work even though they are a slightly higher voltage (1.55v). The Spotmatic has a compensating bridge circuit so the higher voltage is not an issue.

Steve
Thanks, good info...

QuoteOriginally posted by speedoo Quote
On both Spotmatics I picked up last night (one of which is in excellent condition), there is no sign of any felt on the body inside the film door. But there is felt on the mirror sides and on the mirror seat.

Perhaps the felt on the body was not needed on the Spotmatics, for whatever reason?
I thought the same thing at first... It's inside the grooves that the top and bottom edges of the back close into, and it looks like mine will probably need replacing.
01-22-2009, 08:23 AM   #36
Inactive Account

I thought the same thing at first... It's inside the grooves that the top and bottom edges of the back close into, and it looks like mine will probably need replacing.
Right you are. Took another look under better light and it's there, if you know where to look for it! I'll have to take another look soon to see if it needs replacing.

Now if I could find a way to get those battery compartment covers loose... I've tried all sorts of things.. a nickel, a screwdriver, they are jammed on very tight. Would one of the products mentioned here help? Anyone have a trick for me to try?
01-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Now if I could find a way to get those battery compartment covers loose... I've tried all sorts of things.. a nickel, a screwdriver, they are jammed on very tight. Would one of the products mentioned here help? Anyone have a trick for me to try?
Remove the bottom plate instead. It's usually just three obvious screws, and the battery can be replaced once the cover is off. Then you can try some penetrating lubricant on the battery cover without contaminating the camera. The important thing is to find a tool that fits the slot before applying a lot of force.

Some cameras (the older models especially) will have light seals under the bottom plate as well. Can't hurt to put new ones in.
01-22-2009, 11:57 AM   #38
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Remove the bottom plate instead. It's usually just three obvious screws, and the battery can be replaced once the cover is off. Then you can try some penetrating lubricant on the battery cover without contaminating the camera. The important thing is to find a tool that fits the slot before applying a lot of force.

Some cameras (the older models especially) will have light seals under the bottom plate as well. Can't hurt to put new ones in.
Thanks! I knew there had to be a better way, with all those 40 year old Spotmatics out there.

The seals under the bottom plate... are they felt, or something else? And is there a source for replacement battery compartment covers?

01-22-2009, 05:58 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Remove the entire baseplate. Four (4) screws total.

Put some white vinegar in a tub, and submerse the base plate in the vinegar. Let it soak. Remove it from any area where kids or pets might be present, and frankly, the better ventilated the better. Let it sit overnight and try a nickle again. If it does work, get the cover off, and clean out the chamber, then soak the base plate in Isopropyl Alcohol (the 90% + stuff if possible) and then really, really let it dry out. See if it still works.

If it does not work and worse comes to worse find a parts camera where the base plate is known good with a removeable cover.

Kind regards,

woof!
01-22-2009, 06:13 PM   #40
Inactive Account

Thanks! And is there a source for replacement battery compartment covers?
PENTAX SPOTMATIC II IA 500 1000 BATTERY COVER CAP LID - eBay (item 170195993706 end time Feb-15-09 14:07:01 PST)

I am not associated with seller in any way.
01-22-2009, 09:34 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A few more shots of the Takumar 1:4/300

Well it rained today, and this beast doesn't really fit in my cardboard lightbox, so I'll post some shots of it sitting on a dish cloth on my kitchen counter. I didn't so much want to show the lens again, but the beautiful diaphragm/aperture...18 blades. Too cool.

And here's a closer crop of the side view from the other day...

The focus ring is a bit too stiff, like the grease is old (no kidding huh?) and too viscous.
01-23-2009, 08:57 AM   #42
Veteran Member

I didn't so much want to show the lens again, but the beautiful diaphragm/aperture...18 blades. Too cool.
And a preset to boot. Be still my beating heart...
01-23-2009, 09:48 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
And a preset to boot. Be still my beating heart...
Yeah, entirely manual here. Unlike the 1:3.5/135 which has the one ring to set the aperture, and one ring to actuate it (and one ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them?), this lens has only the single aperture control, so it's like a Super-Tak in manual mode. I've seen pictures around of super/s-m-c/smc-tak variety, but I've only seen this model here so far which doesn't provide much info...
01-23-2009, 04:22 PM   #44
Veteran Member

And is there a source for replacement battery compartment covers?
I think Eric said on his site he still has a supply of brand-new ones for $15 each.
01-23-2009, 09:07 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Josh, that shot of the aperture blades gave me goose bumps. Really wonderful. Again, good find.