Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2009, 10:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My "new" Spotmatic and Taks...

So I saw this ebay auction last week, and my LBA/CBA came out of remission... Clicked Buy it now, and now...

A beautiful spotmatic (I haven't researched yet to determine the exact model) w/ attached 1:1.8/55 Super-Takumar (no caps or case for this lens).

A Takumar 1:4/300 - this monster has a beautiful 18 blade aperture which doesn't have any means of opening it except setting the aperture ring to f/4 (no second ring or push rod on the mount). Came with both caps (front cap won't stay on for anything - any advice?) and the original case in great shape. Lens body has few if any marks and the glass is flawless.

A Takumar 1:3.5/135 preset (I think that's the right term) with original case but no caps...

An Auto-Takumar 1:2.3/35 - you can "cock" the aperture as described by woof here. Got a case and a rear cap for this one but no front cap.

I believe this gear used to belong to the US Forest Service, as there are mostly removed remnants of property stickers on the 300mm and the camera body which look like they're indicating,
"Deptarment of Agriculture US Forest Service", but everything is in great shape, with little or no dust, no real marks, scratches, dings etc... impressive...

I'll have to run some film through this soon! I already put some photons through the glass into my K20D, but unfortunately, unlike jsherman, I can't just run outside, snap a few frames, and come back in to present you with art... No art, but I guess I can show you a couple from the 300mm and an impressive crop from the 135mm...

Here's my boy with the 300mm. Both shots wide open, raw, no PP other than exposure correction (AV metering didn't nail the exposures this time)...

Here's an impressive center crop (100%) from the 135/3.5 wide open. Thing is sharp!...

01-20-2009, 10:31 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok Josh...you've got my curiosity up...just what does almost mint SP with several pristine pieces of vintage glass go for BIN?

Steve

(Hopefully not less than what I have been seeing Singlex TLSs going for!)
01-20-2009, 10:33 PM   #3
Igilligan

Oh... I am jealous

What a goldmine you found... I look forward to some more from that long glass and also from that 2.3 35mm.

That is a nice crop from the 135... pentax seems to really get the 135 right...

And as you know from Jay, that 1.8 55mm is a real gem.

Love to hear you take on the 35mm. I almost bought one of those on ebay about 6 months ago.

Did you say in the thread how much you got this collection for? Nevermind... I dont want to know.
01-20-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I forgot in my other post to tell you just how impressive the sample shots are. Looking at them reminds me of how little we have gained and how much we have lost in the past 40-50 years. That 300 is impressive and the 135 blew me away. You are gonna love the preset aperture on the 135 with your K20D.

Steve

(The lens envy is building...)

01-20-2009, 10:53 PM   #5
Igilligan

Hey Steve...

Is the preset aperture the same kind of aperture set up that is on the Jupiter 9?
01-20-2009, 10:54 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Here's your 135/3.5:

Die Cast Pro - Takumar 135mm f/3.5 Index

Steve
01-20-2009, 10:57 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Hey Steve...

Is the preset aperture the same kind of aperture set up that is on the Jupiter 9?
Yep...So think infinite aperture...

01-20-2009, 11:12 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I am still completely floored by the apparent condition of everything. Even the leather straps are in good condition. The 35/2.3 really intrigues me. It is a very nice looking lens and the semi-auto diaphragm is quite unusual.

I would like to see more of the 300 as well. How about a view from the front mounted on the tripod? You say it has a fully manual diaphragm?

Steve

(This is even worse than when arpaagent published his find...https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/43352-arrrrggg...-miss-one.html).
01-20-2009, 11:14 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I see three new reviews in the Pentax lens database!

Steve
01-20-2009, 11:16 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Congratulations! Those are some pretty awesome lenses, especially the 35/2.3. I haven't seen a wide Takumar that fast. The camera's in excellent shape.
01-20-2009, 11:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ok Josh...you've got my curiosity up...just what does almost mint SP with several pristine pieces of vintage glass go for BIN?

Steve

(Hopefully not less than what I have been seeing Singlex TLSs going for!)
Including the slightly high shipping charge... $160. Did I do good? It felt like a decent or maybe even good deal, but I couldn't really find examples of some of these lenses to get a feel for their going rate.

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
What a goldmine you found... I look forward to some more from that long glass and also from that 2.3 35mm.

That is a nice crop from the 135... pentax seems to really get the 135 right...

And as you know from Jay, that 1.8 55mm is a real gem.

Love to hear you take on the 35mm. I almost bought one of those on ebay about 6 months ago.

Did you say in the thread how much you got this collection for? Nevermind... I dont want to know.
First of all Gus, don't read my response to Steve. I shot with the 300mm for about 10 minutes, but they were shots of basically nothing (and my son). I only shot with the other lenses for about two minutes each, and my brief impressions were that the 135mm is amazing, the 55mm looks like real fun, and the 35mm is very cool to look at. I'll be playing with them all tomorrow for sure, so I'll hopefully have more to report.

The best shot I got so far with the 35/2.3 is this one in fading light..

As you can see, the thing has weird bokeh, which now that you made me play with it can be a pretty cool abstract. Just played with the grayscale mix in Lr to kill some of the contrasts in the already low contrast background and tweaked the curves/levels/exposure (ok, I guess it was more than just a bit of changes )...

01-20-2009, 11:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's your 135/3.5:

Die Cast Pro - Takumar 135mm f/3.5 Index

Steve
Yep, that's the one... I need those lens caps!

Yep...So think infinite aperture...
Yessir... I've read about it before, but getting to play with this setup is really intriguing... Fun to play with.

I am still completely floored by the apparent condition of everything. Even the leather straps are in good condition. The 35/2.3 really intrigues me. It is a very nice looking lens and the semi-auto diaphragm is quite unusual.

I would like to see more of the 300 as well. How about a view from the front mounted on the tripod? You say it has a fully manual diaphragm?

Steve

(This is even worse than when arpaagent published his find...https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/43352-arrrrggg...-miss-one.html).
Yeah, the condition of everything is pretty amazing. I'll definitely set up the 300 in the sun tomorrow and show you some pics. My "lightbox" (litterally a medium sized cardboard box with a lightbulb shining through some tissue paper taped across a hole in the top) wouldn't light up that aperture well enough tonight, but tomorrow... you'll be impressed. It's a fully manual diaphragm and it's right behind the front element (where the aperture ring is of course).

I see three new reviews in the Pentax lens database!

Steve
Well... Ok... though I hate to be the definitive voice in the database...

QuoteOriginally posted by drewdlephone Quote
Congratulations! Those are some pretty awesome lenses, especially the 35/2.3. I haven't seen a wide Takumar that fast. The camera's in excellent shape.
Thanks!
01-21-2009, 12:00 AM   #13
Veteran Member

There was a 35/2.3 for sale locally for $125...sleeping bag and all.

I'd say, without a second guess, that you got a steal
01-21-2009, 12:14 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Josh, what a coincidence... I just brought home a haul purchased through craigslist that includes a 1:6.3 300mm Tele-Takumar... looks exactly like yours, mint condition, with a case, lens hood and the caps both stay on just fine. My front cap is the usual Asahi Pentax metal cap.

The rest of my package included a mint condition Super Tak 1:3.5/28mm that I had been shopping for, a Super-Tak 1:3.5/135mm in nice condition, and a Vivitar Auto Telephoto 1:2.8/135 mm fitted with a Vivitar Automatic 2X TeleConverter, also in mint condition. All these lenses have cases, hood and caps, except the front cap is missing on the Tak 135.

Plus several filters and two Spotmatic SP's each with a Super Tak 1:1.4/50mm and case. If I'm lucky, one of the Spotmatics will be OK, the other may not be worth repairing. But the Spotmatic that I'm hoping is ok is in very nice shape.

I was very excited to pick this package up!
01-21-2009, 12:22 AM   #15
Igilligan

Oh that is that trippy OOF look I love...

Darn I should have bought that lens last summer... I like that spacey bokeh. I try to find lenses that do it. The smooth stuff is pretty to look at, but I enjoy getting lost in the messy colors...

If you tire of it, let me know! I would love to play with it for a while.

I like the contrast B&W you posted... Just a little "I feel Lucky" and the color gets all up in there too...

As you can see, the thing has weird bokeh, which now that you made me play with it can be a pretty cool abstract. Just played with the grayscale mix in Lr to kill some of the contrasts in the already low contrast background and tweaked the curves/levels/exposure (ok, I guess it was more than just a bit of changes )...

[/QUOTE]