Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2009, 11:03 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Return of the Spotmatic F!

Hey everyone. I just HAD to share my elation that I finally got my Spot F back from Eric. It's f***in' spotless! It wasn't in bad shape to begin with, but it looks like it just walked out of the store yesterday. All of the controls are silky smooth and sharp and precise. I'll have pics up of the camera in a little bit here, and it currently has a roll of Ilford XP2 400 loaded for a test run, so I'll have pics to share from the camera in a few days too.

If anyone has an older Pentax body kicking around that they want to fix up or want to get more use out of, you should totally send it to Eric. I was leery about sending my camera across two countries just to get fixed, but it was worth the worry and wait.

Attached Images

Last edited by drewdlephone; 01-20-2009 at 11:55 PM.
01-21-2009, 03:48 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by drewdlephone Quote
Hey everyone. I just HAD to share my elation that I finally got my Spot F back from Eric. It's f***in' spotless! It wasn't in bad shape to begin with, but it looks like it just walked out of the store yesterday.... and it currently has a roll of Ilford XP2 400 loaded for a test run,...
Of course, no one here is going to say "I told you so", because we are not that kind of folks here.

As for the Ilford XP2 400, shame on you. The first roll should have been Kodachrome64. Then some day down the road in the film forum you can always start your post out by saying "Back in the old days when I was shooting KR64...". Because then the next post will be "What is KR64?".Oh well, maybe it's not too late.
01-21-2009, 03:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Pay Bill no mind. This evening I took a roll of my favorite (read: "cheap") color negative film in to my local pro's shop to be sent off for developing. He had a sort of "What the hell is this?" reaction to it.
01-21-2009, 04:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Congratulations! I'm waiting for my silver ES II to return from Eric's care...

01-21-2009, 05:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I wish I could get my "freebie Spottie" over to Eric ... but the cost would be prohibitive for me here in Australia.

But I know what it is like to receive a mint Spottie (I was lucky enough to purchase one already in mint condition) ... which reminds me ... I need to get out and finish that roll of film off.
01-21-2009, 10:34 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlank Quote
Of course, no one here is going to say "I told you so", because we are not that kind of folks here.

As for the Ilford XP2 400, shame on you. The first roll should have been Kodachrome64. Then some day down the road in the film forum you can always start your post out by saying "Back in the old days when I was shooting KR64...". Because then the next post will be "What is KR64?".Oh well, maybe it's not too late.
I intend on picking up one, just one, roll of Kodachrome just so I can say I've shot with it. The cost to ship and develop the stuff is prohibitive, and it takes 5-7 weeks for me to see the results. They're also charging $13 per roll for the stuff at my work. I can get a five pack of Fuji Superia 200 for that.

We were out of stock today too, so alas, no Kodachrome for me. Not yet.

@ Mike: Our lab manager sometimes gets that way at work. We had a couple of rolls of "Western Family Optimum" color film come through. It comes in a rainbow colored canister. His quip: "I thought they only made food? Is this edible?"
01-22-2009, 11:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I intend on picking up one, just one, roll of Kodachrome just so I can say I've shot with it. The cost to ship and develop the stuff is prohibitive, and it takes 5-7 weeks for me to see the results. They're also charging $13 per roll for the stuff at my work. I can get a five pack of Fuji Superia 200 for that.
You might check with Dwayne's to see about shipping Kodachrome directly to them.

Kodachrome slide film developing - Ektachrome slide film developing - Kodak certified service - Dwayne's Photo Service

They're located in Parsons, KS which is maybe 60 miles south of me so the shop I take mine to for processing mails it straight to Dwayne's and I have my slides back in less than two weeks. I believe some shops and stores still go the Kodak route which I believe results in your Kodachrome going first to Rochester and then Dwayne's. You might not save any money but it's worth a look.
01-22-2009, 04:20 PM   #8

ooh ooh ooh!

now I can't wait to send in my KX!!

that's a BEAUTIFUL SP-F by the way... it's makin' me jealous.

01-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #9

I just got my ME Super back from Eric, and it's much, much smoother on the transport than it was previously. I will be sending my other body to him soon.

Sure is a nice looking Spotmatic! Enjoy it!
01-23-2009, 04:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Aahhhhhhh.... my silver ES II came back last night, and I'm in love... bigamous love: Eric or the ES II, can't decide who I love more. Thank you Eric!
01-23-2009, 07:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Aahhhhhhh.... my silver ES II came back last night, and I'm in love... bigamous love: Eric or the ES II, can't decide who I love more. Thank you Eric!
Nesster, you two-timer you! Kidding.
01-23-2009, 07:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member

It's f***in' spotless!
So it's just a plain old Matic F now then I suppose
01-23-2009, 08:22 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Hey everyone. I just HAD to share my elation that I finally got my Spot F back from Eric. It's f***in' spotless! It wasn't in bad shape to begin with, but it looks like it just walked out of the store yesterday. All of the controls are silky smooth and sharp and precise. I'll have pics up of the camera in a little bit here, and it currently has a roll of Ilford XP2 400 loaded for a test run, so I'll have pics to share from the camera in a few days too.

If anyone has an older Pentax body kicking around that they want to fix up or want to get more use out of, you should totally send it to Eric. I was leery about sending my camera across two countries just to get fixed, but it was worth the worry and wait.
Congrats,
The Spotmatic F was the first 35mm I ever owned (back in 1973) when I was 16 years old. Yours looks just like I remember it except mine had "Honeywell" on it. Does anyone know if this model was the LAST to use the "Honeywell" name for models sold in the states?

Barry