Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2009, 07:23 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Congrats vinzer After you've got the LX, KX, I'm sure you'd get a black MX soon
Yup, I'm coming into the home stretch, friend. It's certainly much cheaper to have CBA than LBA, that's for sure.

Thanks for the support. I'm still waiting for a black MX on BIN with a decent price.

01-25-2009, 11:30 AM   #17
DAP

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
It's All in all, one happy camper here. I would've wanted an MX to be the all-mechanical complement to the LX, but I'm not complaining. The KX is as competent. The newly-acquired KX being black is a nice bonus.
For what it is worth, I would rather have a KX than a MX. It has more features and seems to be better made (a KX is about as bombproof as it gets) - what's not to love? I used to have a ton of Pentax equipment (a couple of LXs, Mx, KM, and a boatload of lenses). When I sold the bulk of my Pentax gear off the only two items I kept were a black KX and a Rikenon P 50/1.4 lens. I don't miss the other cameras, but I would miss my KX.
01-25-2009, 06:17 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DAP Quote
For what it is worth, I would rather have a KX than a MX. It has more features and seems to be better made (a KX is about as bombproof as it gets) - what's not to love? I used to have a ton of Pentax equipment (a couple of LXs, Mx, KM, and a boatload of lenses). When I sold the bulk of my Pentax gear off the only two items I kept were a black KX and a Rikenon P 50/1.4 lens. I don't miss the other cameras, but I would miss my KX.
My preference for the MX has more to do with size than anything else, really. I reckon an MX paired with a 50 f/1.7 (or, ideally, the original pancake that I don't have ) would be small and light enough to bring on a daily basis. Not that the KX is overly heavy or big, though, but it is still bigger than the MX.

But props to the KX. Like you said, it looks and feels really tough and robust.

I think a forum member posted photos of a K1000 and MX close to each other recently.
02-02-2009, 07:19 PM   #19
edl
Veteran Member

My preference for the MX has more to do with size than anything else, really. I reckon an MX paired with a 50 f/1.7 (or, ideally, the original pancake that I don't have ) would be small and light enough to bring on a daily basis. Not that the KX is overly heavy or big, though, but it is still bigger than the MX.

But props to the KX. Like you said, it looks and feels really tough and robust.

I think a forum member posted photos of a K1000 and MX close to each other recently.
While the MX is small, I don't really consider it much smaller than the KX. It might pocket well with the pancake, but not with the 50/1.7.

My CBA journey was the reverse of yours, I started with a black MX, then acquired a black KX...last stop is a black ES II. Oh yeah, not to mention a few ME Supers, a K2, and some SP1000's along the way...

02-03-2009, 04:31 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by edl Quote
While the MX is small, I don't really consider it much smaller than the KX. It might pocket well with the pancake, but not with the 50/1.7.

My CBA journey was the reverse of yours, I started with a black MX, then acquired a black KX...last stop is a black ES II. Oh yeah, not to mention a few ME Supers, a K2, and some SP1000's along the way...
I really can't say that there's a progression of sorts in my CBA. It's usually whatever comes along in the local marketplace first before heading out online to shop. I've only gotten extremely lucky with the local market only once, though, and that's with the LX I got for the same price as the Spotmatic. I had to fend off a lot of others wanting to buy that item from the seller.

But I still consider myself pretty lucky with this black KX. I haven't seen one in most trading places lately, let alone one in perfect working condition (no CLA needed). You're right - in use, the KX doesn't feel as big.
02-03-2009, 10:41 PM   #21
edl
Veteran Member

I really can't say that there's a progression of sorts in my CBA. It's usually whatever comes along in the local marketplace first before heading out online to shop. I've only gotten extremely lucky with the local market only once, though, and that's with the LX I got for the same price as the Spotmatic. I had to fend off a lot of others wanting to buy that item from the seller.

But I still consider myself pretty lucky with this black KX. I haven't seen one in most trading places lately, let alone one in perfect working condition (no CLA needed). You're right - in use, the KX doesn't feel as big.
Did I read that right - a LX for the same price as a Spottie? Wow, you're a lucky guy!

Actually, I've found that the KX handles much better than the MX. I don't have huge hands by any means, but the MX seems a bit too small. I really like the dimensions of the KX a lot.
02-04-2009, 06:32 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by edl Quote
Did I read that right - a LX for the same price as a Spottie? Wow, you're a lucky guy!

Actually, I've found that the KX handles much better than the MX. I don't have huge hands by any means, but the MX seems a bit too small. I really like the dimensions of the KX a lot.
Yup, definitely one of my luckier days. I posted about it a month ago or so, I believe.

Well, slight cheat, though, since the Spottie came with a Super-Takumar 50/1.4, so it screws the equation some, but I got the LX for the converted price of US$ 95 (same as the Spottie kit). Pretty good buy, I guess, as the LX was in perfect working condition (all speeds fine and metering spot-on) and shows brassing only at the multi-function timer/DOF lever. It even included an original eveready case, so I'm happy.

Like you said, the KX handles nicely, and the heft is just right. I'm still not used to the film-advance-lever-shuts-off-meter-when-pushed-back-fully functionality, but I'm learning, though I was (still am, actually) used to pushing back that lever fully after advancing the film, more because of a slight obsessive-compulsive behavior on my part than anything practical.