Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2009, 02:47 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Split screen focus for K2? can it be retro-fitted?

As a new owner of an old workhorse with somewhat less than 20/20 vision, i am seeking advice as to the where and hows of retro-fitting a split screen focus. A casual scan of @bay and the web generally, turns up all sorts of info for digital outfits but no data on manual SLR's- any pointers will be gratefully received

01-22-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know how pentax managed viewing screens but my KX has a plain ground glass screen, yet I have seen others with split image.

I know they existided but don't know how they wer echanged. perhaps a camera repair shop
01-22-2009, 04:05 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Some K2's came with a split screen. The top and prism have to be removed to change the screen.
01-22-2009, 04:11 PM   #4
Site Supporter

K2s shipped with either a microsprism or split-image screen. Other screens were available, but required partial disassembly and therefore, a technician, to do the task. Eric may have some options for you.

Steve

01-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
K2s shipped with either a microsprism or split-image screen. Other screens were available, but required partial disassembly and therefore, a technician, to do the task. Eric may have some options for you.

Steve
Thanks- have tried the diopter system as fitted to my ist DL- it is an improvement but prone to inadvertent movement and slows the process down. i had just used my p30 with the splitscreen and remembered just how good the splitscreen could be. Am hoping that i can flush out a screen on a parts camera/basket case, fingers crossed!
01-22-2009, 05:25 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
thanks- as a newbie , i think i need someone to tell me who "Eric" is ?
01-22-2009, 06:05 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by albrechtnamatdurer Quote
thanks- as a newbie , i think i need someone to tell me who "Eric" is ?
Eric worked for Honeywell for a long time before retiring. When it comes to Pentax mf film cameras, Eric is "The Man." Eric> Home
01-23-2009, 10:00 AM   #8
Forum Member

Hi - Just MHO, but I have a spotmatic f with the ground glass (for years) and recently picked up an ME Super with split screen (to move to K mount lenses).

My very limited experience has been that the ME Super split screen is fine for bright light focusing, but not as good as the SP - F for low light focus. That being said, I have all of a few days of ownership on that ME Super and am new to split screens.

Before you bother with changing the setup, consider getting a lens with a larger aperture, such as a fixed prime. There is a world of difference between viewing through an F3.5 vs F1.8.

I should make clear though that after many years of trying, I understand cameras mechanically, but taking a beautiful picture still eludes me. My wife OTOH does not understand cameras, but has an artist eye. I guess we were made for each other.