Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2009, 11:04 AM   #16
graphicgr8s

OK I already know I am going to catch he** but the Mamiya dtl 1000 is a pretty nice camera that accepts the M42 mount.

01-23-2009, 11:31 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh, by all means: there are lots of non Spotmatic M42 cameras out there, I have a couple... um three... of them myself.

The difference is: My ES II meter didn't work, but Eric fixed it. My second Yashica TL Electro-X has the same symptoms: juice goes through but the meter doesn't respond. Who's gonna fix that?

The ES II is only marginally recommendable for a photo class, as the range of manual shutter speeds is limited.

The same observation re. K mount bodies Pentax vs. all else holds: With Pentax Eric's likely to be able to fix it, with the other brands, who knows?
01-23-2009, 11:48 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
OK I already know I am going to catch he** but the Mamiya dtl 1000 is a pretty nice camera that accepts the M42 mount.
Beat you to it...See my earlier post above...

Steve
01-23-2009, 11:55 AM   #19
Veteran Member

The ME-Super was my first 35mm camera back in the mid-80's. It's a great film camera, and still works great today - lo these 20+ years later. (It can even work w/o batteries, if necessary - no lights in the viewfinder, however.)
I liked it so much that after a few years I bought a second, used body for shooting B&W. That one still works great too.

As k100d suggested, the ZX-5n is another good choice. That's what I "replaced" my ME Super with in the mid-90's, and I think that would be another good "starter" camera for film. I used mine for about 10 years with no issues, up until about a year ago when I finally took the plunge to DSLR.

My point being, both are good, reliable cameras - and I think both fall within your price constraints.

Good luck,

Tim

01-23-2009, 12:49 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An alternate to a screw mount Spotmatic, is a K-mount KX.

You should be able to get a KX and 55/1.8 for around $200.00. They are a perfect match and the KX will last forever. I bought this combo new in 1975 and they are both still going strong.
01-23-2009, 12:55 PM   #21
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Oh, by all means: there are lots of non Spotmatic M42 cameras out there, I have a couple... um three... of them myself.

The difference is: My ES II meter didn't work, but Eric fixed it. My second Yashica TL Electro-X has the same symptoms: juice goes through but the meter doesn't respond. Who's gonna fix that?

The ES II is only marginally recommendable for a photo class, as the range of manual shutter speeds is limited.

The same observation re. K mount bodies Pentax vs. all else holds: With Pentax Eric's likely to be able to fix it, with the other brands, who knows?
Well GraphicGr8s knows a guy. A guy in Tampa does my camera repair. He's done my SRT101, K1000 and my Mamiya XE-2 Quartz. When funds allow I will have him look at my DTL1000. The wind is slipping but otherwise fully works. Got it on flebay a couple years ago. Came recommended from a buddy who has about 2000 cameras now.
01-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #22
Site Supporter

You seem to be serious about your photography. Therefore, skip over the K1000 even though it is a solid camera. For your photo class, look at the KX, K2, and MX Pentax bodies. If I were to go non Pentax, it would be with Mamiya just to stir the pot and because they have some very very good vintage class out there and its a gold mine whether it is m42, CS or Z mount with the MSX or DSX 1000 being a good m42 choice.

01-23-2009, 02:47 PM   #23
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
You seem to be serious about your photography. Therefore, skip over the K1000 even though it is a solid camera. For your photo class, look at the KX, K2, and MX Pentax bodies. If I were to go non Pentax, it would be with Mamiya just to stir the pot and because they have some very very good vintage class out there and its a gold mine whether it is m42, CS or Z mount with the MSX or DSX 1000 being a good m42 choice.
I don't know I still love my K1000. It's just a great basic camera that just keeps going. But I will admit they are pricey. And you really need to find one of the older ones. Not the china made.
01-23-2009, 02:55 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't forget the Pentax KM, IMO a better choice than the K1000.

Chris
01-23-2009, 03:10 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Then again, WJW could show up to class with a 6x7 with a ttl prism.
01-23-2009, 04:11 PM   #26

KX. Then again, I haven't actually seen myshots yet, but I got a KX from a fellow forum member and it's great. Just amazing.
01-23-2009, 04:28 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by southy Quote
another weird side effect of spotmatics:
people actually ask you about your photography when you use an old metal camera. no one ever talks to me when I use my dslr, but the spotmatic makes me more approachable I guess . you decide if that is a plus or a minus
I've experienced the same thing. People have come up and talked to me when I'm out with a TLR who I am positive would studiously ignore me with a modern mainstream camera.

Of course, more and more these days we look like anachronistic oddballs by the mere fact we have our cameras up against our faces instead of two feet away.
01-23-2009, 05:14 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You guys need to quit suggesting the KX!

I have been looking for a clean one (Ex+) and all this attention is pushing the prices up and the availability down.

Steve

(Will have to be content with my existing two Ricohs (TLS and XR7) plus the recently acquired Ricoh XR2s that just went in for new pads/seals today...)
01-23-2009, 06:12 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Recommending the KX

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
You need something that works, quick, no risk. Unless someone on campus will sell you their camera (or let you borrow) I recommed KEH... they have 'packages' already to go.

KEH Camera: Pentax Manual Focus - Camera Outfits
Second - Highly recommend them.

KX body only Pentax KX bodies available from KEH Camera Brokers.

50MM lenses Pentax 50MM lenses available from KEH Camera Brokers.

You can get the kit for right at $200 shipped if you take a M50/2.0 as your lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
An alternate to a screw mount Spotmatic, is a K-mount KX.

You should be able to get a KX and 55/1.8 for around $200.00. They are a perfect match and the KX will last forever. I bought this combo new in 1975 and they are both still going strong.
You seem to be serious about your photography. Therefore, skip over the K1000 even though it is a solid camera. For your photo class, look at the KX, K2, and MX Pentax bodies.
QuoteOriginally posted by EagleEye Quote
KX. Then again, I haven't actually seen my shots yet, but I got a KX from a fellow forum member and it's great. Just amazing.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You guys need to quit suggesting the KX!
Go Here KX for technical data and infomration on the KX ( and everything else K-Mount).

I got a KX and 50/1.4 in 1977 - still going strong.

My daughter took it (and 2 other lenses from my signature list) to a six-week college resident landscape photography course in NM that REQUIRED a fully-manual camera due to the cold weather.

The course offered rented Canon F1's and most students used them; the instructor privately told her that her camera and lenses were better for the subject.

And with the proper adapter you can use screwmount Takumar lenses - the best of both worlds.

I recommend a KX kit from KEH.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-23-2009 at 07:59 PM.
01-23-2009, 06:25 PM   #30
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Then again, WJW could show up to class with a 6x7 with a ttl prism.
No, that would a Mamiya RB67 with a metered prism or more likely a chimney finder and spot meter since it sounds like a B&W class.

Or if 35mm is required, same spot meter and a Ricoh TLS with the original 55mm 1.4 and a couple of Series 1 telephotos.