Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2009, 03:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I Scored Some Free Astia

I dropped by my local pro's shop to pick up a roll of film I dropped off to be developed. While I was checking out the negatives on the light table, the pro's wife pulled a five-pack of 36exp Astia slide film (about $50 retail here) from beneath the counter and asked me if I wanted it.

"How much?"

"Free. It's expired."

"Thank you very much!"

And I was just fresh out of color film, so it really did come at a good time. And I have the next two days off to go back up in the mountains and play around, so it came at an even better time.

I found this article about Astia, which further fueled my enthusiasm.

01-23-2009, 04:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I love the film

Here is the one I did 2 weeks ago

01-23-2009, 05:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I was so pleased that in return I gave her an explanation of what was in a couple of the photos in the roll I had just taken (she also checked them out on the light table).

These things are all over the place in rural areas, yet they are connected with a religious practice that died out about 150 years ago so while the stones remain, practically nobody here has the slightest idea what they are:

1956 Ricoh 35 DeLuxe
DNP Centuria 200

That same camera as well as my ESII are both sitting empty right now and I foresee each of them using a roll of Astia this weekend.
01-23-2009, 07:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

not Pentax related but this guy uses Large Format 8x10 Astia for landscapes
The Lough Road - All Images

01-23-2009, 07:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Astia eh? I haven't seen that around these parts, so I'll have to make do and vicariously experience Astia via your shots. Good ones, I must add, James and Mike.
01-26-2009, 07:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I like Astia for baby shots and the like, but outdoors it seems terribly understated, not to say undersaturated. For that reason I didn't like it as an all-rounder, so I stopped using it and switched to Provia. On the other hand, it does have a certain old-fashioned charm. These two shots, taken with Astia, have some PP on the scans but retain the essential colour characteristics of the original slides. Taken on an LX with SMC-M 28.2.8.

By the way, I read somewhere that Astia and Sensia were the same film, except Astia was treated/stored/dated as a pro emulsion. I wonder if that's true?

Last edited by artobest; 11-04-2010 at 06:06 AM.