Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #1
Forum Member

Film Processor with enlarger and paper ?

Hi, I am becoming more informed about modern film processing, scanning, and printing. Not an expert, just less ill- informed.

I noticed that Kodak for instance develops the roll, scans them at (apparently) 4.5 megapixels / unclear bit depth, then essentially laser prints them. This would seem to leave a lot of color qualities behind.

That is fine I guess, but if I am going to the bother of using Kodak pro 100UC, it seems a bit silly to then not use a real enlarger and paper for printing. Also, 4.5 MP scan - What the heck ?

I asked at a camera stores about their scan MP and bit depth - the guy working there didn't know, but did offer to find out.

My pictures aren't artwork, but I do want them to look better than my wife's low end digital p+s, even if it is a pentax.

- Any suggestions on where to get "real" film processing done at "reasonable" prices - not cheap, but not crazy ? (domestically)

- Is it really that crazy to ask for 10 + MP scanning with 24 bit color depth ?

While we have looked at DSLR, we have not purchased one yet, or I would consider just doing that for scanning. Still -definitely not 24 bit depth for any consumer camera I have seen.

Thanks

Harry

01-23-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thnk you have to consider that most film processing is targeted at 4 x 6 inch prints.

It is not crazy to want quality scans that are better, just don't expect them from a snapshot printer.

When I bought my K10D, the shop I bought it from would scan negatives at $1.00 per strip. They also stressed that a strip was a minimum of 3 frames, but no maximum, and if I still shot film, I was to ask the negatives remain uncut. Interpret this as $1.00 for 36 frames to scan!

Unfortunately you are not close to my shop but you should ask around locally.

Also note that for 4 x 6 some places use 640 x 480 scans, and unless you are shooting really high quality low speed film, 4.5MP is enough, I use a 10 MP scanner (minolta Dimage II 2880 pixles per inch 40 bit color depth) It has no probnlem showing the grain in most of my film.
01-23-2009, 11:22 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I thnk you have to consider that most film processing is targeted at 4 x 6 inch prints.

It is not crazy to want quality scans that are better, just don't expect them from a snapshot printer.

When I bought my K10D, the shop I bought it from would scan negatives at $1.00 per strip. They also stressed that a strip was a minimum of 3 frames, but no maximum, and if I still shot film, I was to ask the negatives remain uncut. Interpret this as $1.00 for 36 frames to scan!

Also note that for 4 x 6 some places use 640 x 480 scans, and unless you are shooting really high quality low speed film, 4.5MP is enough, I use a 10 MP scanner (minolta Dimage II 2880 pixles per inch 40 bit color depth) It has no probnlem showing the grain in most of my film.
Hi Lowell - Thanks for the note.

When you say "my shop" - does this mean you have your own photo development shop or "the shop near you" ?

I guess I am actually looking for a "fully wet" film + print development first, then decent scans (from neg or print).

I am trying to avoid film - then scan - then print.

Of course, maybe I am just silly and old fashioned about this and decent digitizing is just fine.

Perhaps stating it a different way - If you look at the technical specs for a film like kodak pro 100 uc, it is quite different than pos films. If the scanner and digital printer are designed for " Joe average" film, then how are my nice film pictures going to be any different than my wife's "Joe Average" digital camera ?

I use film for 2 reasons
- For me, it is just easier to use a fully manual film camera than all of the goofing around on a digital (not slamming DSLRs, just my experience - my wife of course disagrees)
- I don't really like digital prints. I don't know why, I just don't like them.
01-23-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

where do you get your film done?!

01-23-2009, 12:04 PM   #5

Check Out Foto Express

If you can get to San Jose, there is a place called Foto Express on Santa Clara Street, near San Jose State University. You may give them a call to verify but I believe they do real film developing without scanning and printing. I always get amazing results from them, either digital or film. There is no comparison between them and Walgreens in terms of print quality, I have compared.
They also develop good old fashioned black and white and print as well (not on black and white paper) with amazing results and decent prices.
There is also Kaufmann's Cameras in San Mateo if you really have to have dip and dunk black and white prints done. They are pricy, $2 a print for 4X6, if I remember correctly, but really good results.
Keeble & Shuchat in Palo Alto also does film but you would have to call them to find out what their process is. I would imagine that they are not scanning and printing from the scan.
01-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the leads. I appreciate it.
01-23-2009, 03:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HarryN Quote
Hi Lowell - Thanks for the note.

When you say "my shop" - does this mean you have your own photo development shop or "the shop near you" ?

I guess I am actually looking for a "fully wet" film + print development first, then decent scans (from neg or print).

I am trying to avoid film - then scan - then print.

Of course, maybe I am just silly and old fashioned about this and decent digitizing is just fine.

Perhaps stating it a different way - If you look at the technical specs for a film like kodak pro 100 uc, it is quite different than pos films. If the scanner and digital printer are designed for " Joe average" film, then how are my nice film pictures going to be any different than my wife's "Joe Average" digital camera ?

I use film for 2 reasons
- For me, it is just easier to use a fully manual film camera than all of the goofing around on a digital (not slamming DSLRs, just my experience - my wife of course disagrees)
- I don't really like digital prints. I don't know why, I just don't like them.
my shop is the shop near me

as for prints from negs, I doubt anyone actually does this as a production process
01-23-2009, 03:58 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
where do you get your film done?!
go to just cameras in mississauga, just west of dixie road and dunDas

03-28-2009, 11:06 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
I found out today that the local wolf camera store in Dublin CA will process negatives only on site - $ 4.50 / roll. Develop + scanning = $ 10 / roll. Since I just bought a scanner, I decided to do that part myself. Ran off 3 rolls of kodak ultra color 100.

In the time it is taking to do scanning, maybe $ 5 / roll for an initial scan would have been a good idea.
03-29-2009, 05:55 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Consider that most modern lab "printers" are designed for digital input...from, of course, digital cameras, where the bulk of their work comes from. Film is more or less an afterthought, it's less cost-effective to do true optical printing.
03-29-2009, 07:19 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Lithos - Thanks for the comment. Yes, I am slowly coming around to the value of digital printing. I just purchased a canoscan 8800F and I am pretty happy with it so far. I had expected to need a lot of editing, and since I don't own PS or similar, I was a bit nervous. So far, no editing trying to get a handle on how it all works.

The combination of reasonably priced, good quality negative developing and the option to scan either at the store or at home is a happy combination.

So far, I have played with all of 2 prints and 4 negatives taken with kodak UC 100. Despite what is stated on the internet reviews, I continued to find useful details all the way through full scan resolution. I would not see them if it were just printed 4 x 6, but zooming in on the screen makes it obvious.

I am not quite sure how this compares to digital but the negatives scan out at approx 4400 x 6700 x 48 bit depth and 106MB file size. It is unclear to me exactly how this compares to the megapixel rating of a digital camera but maybe 25 megapixel? - seems too high but maybe.

The drug store version came with 2 file sizes of each print - about 100 K, 1 MB / 1 megapixeland.

I clearly need to re-think the idea of just randomly storing all of my pictures onto the laptop with 100 MB file sizes each.