Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2009, 08:07 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lines on film

Hello all -

I have a new to me Super Program, which is really a fun camera to shoot. My first roll had no issues beyond those of my own making, but the second came out streaked. The guy at the camera store said it was probably dirt or dust on the back plate, which I have now "Rocket-blown" clear. It didn't seem constant throughout the roll, and I didn't see any on the first roll. It is definitely on the negatives too. Could this be some problem with the camera itself? Should I stop using it altogether?

Thanks, Nick

01-23-2009, 08:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hey Nick,
I'd take a cheap roll and crank a few test shots and open the back to see if something is scratching the film(undeveloped). It may have been the processing that did it. just a thought.
01-23-2009, 08:52 PM   #3
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Hello all -

I have a new to me Super Program, which is really a fun camera to shoot. My first roll had no issues beyond those of my own making, but the second came out streaked. The guy at the camera store said it was probably dirt or dust on the back plate, which I have now "Rocket-blown" clear. It didn't seem constant throughout the roll, and I didn't see any on the first roll. It is definitely on the negatives too. Could this be some problem with the camera itself? Should I stop using it altogether?

Thanks, Nick
The scratch would be on the emulsion side which faces the lens. The pressure plate rubs the base not the emulsion. If you can see the scratch on the neg than that will help you find what is causing the scratch.
01-23-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The film is scratched. It may be the camera, it may have happened in the lab.
Look at the film closely on both sides by reflecting light off the film. You'll see the scratch.
If it's the camera, odds are you won't see the scratch at the very end of the roll (past frame "E"), because the end of the film doesn't get pulled all that far out of the cassette.
If it's the lab, the film should be scratched from start to finish.
Borno also had a good suggestion.
If it's the camera, a rocket blower probably wont fix the problem, though if a film chip is stuck under the take-up spool, a blower might dislodge it enough that you can pluck it out.
You will need to clean the pressure plate and film path, a cloth and some isopropyl alcohol is good.
Under no circumstance should you touch the shutter itself. It is easily damaged and never comes in contact with the film.
On rare occasions the felt lips on the film magazine can have grit embedded in it, and that can cause scratches, but it is pretty unlikely.

01-23-2009, 09:21 PM   #5
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The film is scratched. It may be the camera, it may have happened in the lab.
Look at the film closely on both sides by reflecting light off the film. You'll see the scratch.
If it's the camera, odds are you won't see the scratch at the very end of the roll (past frame "E"), because the end of the film doesn't get pulled all that far out of the cassette.
If it's the lab, the film should be scratched from start to finish.
Borno also had a good suggestion.
If it's the camera, a rocket blower probably wont fix the problem, though if a film chip is stuck under the take-up spool, a blower might dislodge it enough that you can pluck it out.
You will need to clean the pressure plate and film path, a cloth and some isopropyl alcohol is good.
Under no circumstance should you touch the shutter itself. It is easily damaged and never comes in contact with the film.
On rare occasions the felt lips on the film magazine can have grit embedded in it, and that can cause scratches, but it is pretty unlikely.
From the looks of it I'd bet it's a scratched emulsion not the base side.
01-24-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
Site Supporter

For others "sleuthing" the source of scratches, watch for changing location of the scratch on different rolls (when you process multiple rolls). If the scratch is "moving" from one roll to the next, then it's less likely to be in your camera where--unless you have sand grains moving around roll to roll--a rough spot in the film path should theoretically remain constant.

Used to have frequent problems at the Fuji lab in AZ but they are now processing elsewhere and my film volumes are too low to really tell much anymore ie I'm sending a couple rolls at a time a few times a year rather than 20 to 40 at a time each month as "back in the day."

Also, a pair of white photo processing gloves or silk glove liners make for a pretty simple "snag check" inside the back of your camera.
01-24-2009, 06:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just to add a little confusion to the mix....

I recently was scanning a roll and had two strips in the film holder. The preview showed a white scratch the entire length of one strip, but nothing on the other. Visual inspection revealed nothing. Swapping the position of the two strips and trying again brought up the scratch...in the same location. Meaning it showed on the previously clean strip and the previously scratched strip had nothing. That narrowed it down to a scanner problem. The problem went away when I switched scanning software. I'd tell you from what to what but I no longer clearly remember. I believe it was from the bundled software to VueScan.
01-25-2009, 12:41 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I suppose it's also possible, Mike, that both strips had the scratch, but it was only illuminated by the scanner from that particular angle, that is is you didn't find out for sure it was software.

01-25-2009, 09:17 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks all. There is defninitely a red line on the negative starting right at the beginning, then gradually fading out to not visible by about picture 15. It doesn't really look like a scratch exactly, but I can't think what else it would be.There is no obvious item to snag or scratch on a quick going over of the compartment. Maybe I'll just shoot another roll and see what happens. Always good to have an excuse!
01-25-2009, 10:41 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I had the Exact same problem. It turned out to be CVS....