Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2009, 04:21 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by drewdlephone Quote
I'll do it. Gotta keep the Spotmatic happy somehow. On an aside, if I could only find an ESII Mike, I'd probably have no choice but to slap it on plastic and send it to Eric. I would like to be able to do night shots like you do with yours.

Gotta love the early Av automatics - the later ones don't do night nearly as well, even if they have official shutter speeds to 30sec.

My OM2S will meter and stay open till good exposure or (more likely) battery death. The Nikon EM will so do as well. (And my current non-Pentax dream, the FE, will also do this).

The OM doesn't care about the view finder as it meters off the film, but none of the others has those cool vf curtains. (Lovely Pentax did provide a blind for the ZX-10, with a nice pocket for it in the strap. Too bad they derated the metering and limited the shutter...)

But as of now, the ES II seems to be my favorite. Haven't yet had a chance for night shooting with it, not too much anyway...

01-31-2009, 07:42 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote

You should post that one on the grain thread!
02-02-2009, 05:23 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I've got a black ES11, that I bought new in 1974. The body is in great shape and it has the 1.8 std. lens, with a 135, f3.5 Takumar telephoto.

I haven't used it for about a decade , but I'm sure it would still work, as long as I could find four of those silver oxide batteries.

I used to use it a lot to take night pictures of cities...great camera. I didn't like the factory carrying strap and replaced it with a Leica rangefinder strap...great strap.

Great memories.
02-02-2009, 05:26 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh by all means get it up and running, if for nothing else then old time's sake!

The batteries are widely available - I've bought them at the local drug store, and Radio Shack. And drug store minilabs do a good job, usually, and you get your film on CD ready to post here for all of us to ooh and ahh over!

02-02-2009, 08:51 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Oh by all means get it up and running, if for nothing else then old time's sake!

The batteries are widely available - I've bought them at the local drug store, and Radio Shack. And drug store minilabs do a good job, usually, and you get your film on CD ready to post here for all of us to ooh and ahh over!

I should get it going again. Back in the early '80's I 'tested' it against my old Leica Rangefinder. I took a number of pictures of the same objects, same lighting...all outdoors ES11 vs Leica.

I blew a couple up to 8 X 10 to get a closer look and in terms of my eye's determination it was hard to see any difference, in fact I felt that the Pentax' pictures were a bit better.

No bias as both the ES11 and the Leica are my cameras and I like them both.
02-02-2009, 10:38 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I'm curious if you're typing "ES11" instead of ESII" thinking the camera is an "ES Eleven".
02-02-2009, 10:45 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I'm curious if you're typing "ES11" instead of ESII" thinking the camera is an "ES Eleven".
Nope...I'm just not a great typist...still can't figure which keys are which.

The ES11 was the second ES, hence the name. The original was just an ES. ES= Electronic Spotmatic.

Your question reminds me of a story...two ladies are riding in a bus in London...they pass a theater and one checks out the theater marquee.

The play...Richard 111 is playing and advertised on the marquee. The lady says to the other..." I see that Richard the one hundredth and eleven is playing.."

02-03-2009, 12:09 AM   #23
Veteran Member

When I first took typing in high school we used old manual typewriters that lacked a key for the numeral "1". It was standard practice back then to use a lower-case "l".

Did you hear about the two stupid guys who had been bragging to each other about their virility? They decided to have a contest to see who could go the most rounds in one night, so they each took their girlfriends and got adjacent rooms in a hotel. One guy made a mark on the wall every time he completed and when morning arrived there was a neat lll marked on the wall. His buddy came over from the next room, saw the three marks on the wall and shouted, "A hundred and eleven!!!! My God, you beat me by three!!!"

True story, though, while working in a warehouse here in Japan I noticed several cardboard boxes which had "1110" marked on them in magic marker. I asked my boss why they all had "one thousand one hundred and ten" written on them. He told me it wasn't "one thousand one hundred and ten". It was "Kawaguchi" (川口), the name of the city they were destined for.
02-03-2009, 08:16 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
When I first took typing in high school we used old manual typewriters that lacked a key for the numeral "1". It was standard practice back then to use a lower-case "l".

Did you hear about the two stupid guys who had been bragging to each other about their virility? They decided to have a contest to see who could go the most rounds in one night, so they each took their girlfriends and got adjacent rooms in a hotel. One guy made a mark on the wall every time he completed and when morning arrived there was a neat lll marked on the wall. His buddy came over from the next room, saw the three marks on the wall and shouted, "A hundred and eleven!!!! My God, you beat me by three!!!"

True story, though, while working in a warehouse here in Japan I noticed several cardboard boxes which had "1110" marked on them in magic marker. I asked my boss why they all had "one thousand one hundred and ten" written on them. He told me it wasn't "one thousand one hundred and ten". It was "Kawaguchi" (川口), the name of the city they were destined for.
Good stories......Is that Johnny Walker as your icon in the signature area ?
02-03-2009, 12:07 PM   #25
Veteran Member

That is Mr. Walker, yes.
02-06-2009, 04:50 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
By the way, does anyone else have an ES Adaptall-2? it's the one with the little gear on the outside... has to be the most fun adaptall I"ve played with though I could see a bit of dirt in the wrong place causes problems.
02-12-2009, 10:10 AM   #27

First time see a chorme ESII, guess I need to pay more attention to Screw Mount asahi...