Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ES II / now I need SMC's!

My beat-up cheap-o silver ES II was expertly repaired by Eric, and I'm busy running film through it.

This is one cool camera. I love the little curtains that go across the view finder... and it's got a hot shoe... and worked fine today during an hour walk in Manhattan cold (with wife, so I didn't get to shoot a full roll).

Of course, I immediately see the value of SMC and S-M-C Takumars, and now covet them. But I have a 28/3.5, 35/3.5, 50/1.4 and a 55/1.8 already, plus my TX mount is ES compatible... so there's another 28/2.5. Oh, and of course I can get a ES Adaptall adapter.

01-24-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

All the Spotmatic/Takumar greatness, combined with the ease of open-aperture metering and aperture priority auto-exposure......plus viewfinder blinds for tripod work.

I love mine dearly.
01-24-2009, 10:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If you need a 135mm Takumar, I have an S-M-C 135/2.5 that is in excellent condition that could use a new home. The focus is a bit tight on it, but it is not a problem unless you are trying to track fast moving UFOs or something. Give me a PM if you are interested.
01-25-2009, 05:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ah, Mike, your ES II is the reason I went to so much trouble to get mine working.

Unfortunately my 'need' for SMC's will have to be a yearn for a while, as my damn employer (Citi) is one of the Troubled Banks and therefore my Bank Account is Troubled this year as well.

01-25-2009, 05:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I suffer from pecuniary puniness myself and can sympathize with you. But I am damned glad to have somebody else out there using the ESII. Sometimes I think I'm the only person in the world who has one. It suffered from having its flame of glory snuffed out by being the last of Pentax's M42 cameras. If the internet had been around back then no doubt the message boards would have been full of posts about people holding off on the ESII out of uncertainty about the impending change to K-mount.
01-25-2009, 06:07 AM   #6
Banned

maybe I should use mine more...
01-25-2009, 06:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I suffer from pecuniary puniness myself and can sympathize with you. But I am damned glad to have somebody else out there using the ESII. Sometimes I think I'm the only person in the world who has one. It suffered from having its flame of glory snuffed out by being the last of Pentax's M42 cameras. If the internet had been around back then no doubt the message boards would have been full of posts about people holding off on the ESII out of uncertainty about the impending change to K-mount.
There'd also be endless debates about how bayonet mounts are better than screw mounts, as well as how the ESII lacks so-and-so feature that other brands have.

You've been such a great salesman of that ESII that I'm on the lookout myself for one. I'd probably have pounced on one over the internet, but my credit card's maxed out still, so my lone recourse is to look for it through local channels (not optimistic about this).

01-25-2009, 02:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Soon I'll post a period piece from Popular Photography: Tokyo News Flash, the new Pentax Bayonet Mount!

Meanwhile, yesterday in NYC. This was while I was double parked while wife was in the first store buying costume jewelry.

55mm f/1.8, SMC of course, and shooting with the ES II is such a hoot!
01-25-2009, 03:07 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On Frying Pans and Fire

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Ah, Mike, your ES II is the reason I went to so much trouble to get mine working.

Unfortunately my 'need' for SMC's will have to be a yearn for a while, as my damn employer (CitiMorgue) is one of the Troubled Banks and therefore my Bank Account is Troubled this year as well.
I feel your pain - really. I just got sold to Morgan Stanley. At least digital images don't cost money to produce.
01-25-2009, 06:13 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I feel your pain - really. I just got sold to Morgan Stanley. At least digital images don't cost money to produce.
I may be feeling the pain soon as well. I don't work in the finance sector, but our company's biggest customer is GM.

Steve
01-25-2009, 06:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
At least digital images don't cost money to produce.
That's the harsh reality of doing film in this day and age. There might be those who are willing to try film photography, but find it more practical to do digital for now, with the economy and all.
01-25-2009, 11:43 PM   #12
Banned

QuoteQuote:
At least digital images don't cost money to produce.
yes they do. and 95% of that cost comes in the form of degradation of your camera through normal use. or have we forgotten the life expectancy of digital SLRs? maybe when we have a person willing and able to repair digital SLR's rather cheaply like Eric does with film SLR's. maybe when people dont need/want to spend thousands of dollars every few years upgrading bodies this point will become moot. until then though...
01-26-2009, 04:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
es they do. and 95% of that cost comes in the form of degradation of your camera through normal use.
Agreed - though I tend to think of it this way: I spend $800 (say) on a digital body. That represents 100 rolls developed and put on CD at CVS (film bought at <=$2 at camera show or ebay)...

---

This here photography / old camera hobby isn't bad either way, compared to some other hobbies that are much more expensive. And should we all end up in shanty towns, at least we can apply for jobs as photographers in the new WPA...
01-26-2009, 04:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
This here photography / old camera hobby isn't bad either way, compared to some other hobbies that are much more expensive. And should we all end up in shanty towns, at least we can apply for jobs as photographers in the new WPA...
Or stand on the side of the road with cardboard signs reading, "Will Work for Film".
01-30-2009, 09:49 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Or stand on the side of the road with cardboard signs reading, "Will Work for Film".
I'll do it. Gotta keep the Spotmatic happy somehow. On an aside, if I could only find an ESII Mike, I'd probably have no choice but to slap it on plastic and send it to Eric. I would like to be able to do night shots like you do with yours.

On an aside, the economy is rough right now, but even if I can only get one roll of film processed a month, it's better than me not buying film at all. Film will survive the recession; it's companies who are expecting to make their bread and butter off DSLR upgrade sales that might be crying the blues.