Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2009, 12:14 PM   #1

Second Life for MX?

Well, I just got a K20D after selling a K110D. So I figured I'd dust off the old MX and see how it was working. It looks great, but the mirror sticks in anything slower than 1/125. I also noticed the mirror foam is flaking. Other than that, everything else looks tight. I have a grip, and three lenses.

Should I save it? If so, where do you recommend it get repaired in the US? Otherwise, I'll list it on eBay. It's a great camera and has taken some amazing shots (IMO). Is it worth a second life?

01-25-2009, 12:25 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Eric Hendrickson is the best.
Home
01-25-2009, 12:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, it sounds like that mirror foam may actually be the only problem.
01-25-2009, 12:42 PM   #4

Original Poster
Film Cameras: worth saving?

Thanks! I found his site

Maybe, she'll live again? I also found on the boards where you can get affordable foam repair kits. So, it may be a no-brainer.

I am still interested in some thoughts about this camera's usefulness and shooting film in general. Perhaps this goes under another thread . . .

I have my MFA in Photography and have a history with film. I hate the idea of giving it up. If any of you are still shooting film, why haven't you?

I feel like I should repair it, even if I plan to sell it. I just feel like the camera still has a life worth living. Even if I don't shoot it--perhaps there is a student or another who will?

01-25-2009, 01:13 PM   #5
DAP

If you are going to sell it I woud probably try to replace the foam yourself and see if that does the trick - If not, then consider a CLA. You very rarely, if ever, make back the money you put into a CLA when it comes time to sell the camera (speaking from personal experience).
01-25-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

To answer your newer question I still shoot some film alongside my digital slr, partly from nostalgia and partly because it gives my photos a different look depending on what kind of film I load. I also have a number of older manual lenses designed for film and it is nice to use them on a full frame instead of a smaller digital sensor (my 28mm is actually a wide angle on film, while I use it as my normal lens on digital).
01-25-2009, 01:42 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Keeping one good film camera

Hi: I've kept my KX and MESuper just for occasional use with black and white film, and wide lenses. I had Eric CLA both of them so they should last as long as film lasts.

One thing of note - the viewfinder on an MX is brighter than anything out there today except maybe the MESuper (why I kept mine). That alone should make it worth keeping.

Spend the $70 for Eric's CLA - he is definitely worth it. Then get some Kodachrome and shoot with it before it goes away.

01-25-2009, 02:06 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
To answer your newer question I still shoot some film alongside my digital slr, partly from nostalgia and partly because it gives my photos a different look depending on what kind of film I load. I also have a number of older manual lenses designed for film and it is nice to use them on a full frame instead of a smaller digital sensor (my 28mm is actually a wide angle on film, while I use it as my normal lens on digital).

What he said...

I can add that most of my lenses perform better on film due to the larger format. I also find that the film images seem to have more depth and capture textures better.

Steve
01-25-2009, 02:16 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
...Spend the $70 for Eric's CLA - he is definitely worth it. Then get some Kodachrome and shoot with it before it goes away.
My feelings exactly. When you use the MX again, you will remember why you bought it in the first place. After you get done with the Kodachrome, try a roll of Kodak Ektar 100. I have been shooting the stuff and am pretty impressed. See:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/45448-kodak-ek...irst-roll.html
Steve

(Next, I think I may dig out the developing tanks and enlarger for some B&W work...)
01-25-2009, 02:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by P-SHOOTER Quote
Thanks! I found his site

I have my MFA in Photography and have a history with film. I hate the idea of giving it up. If any of you are still shooting film, why haven't you?

I feel like I should repair it, even if I plan to sell it. I just feel like the camera still has a life worth living. Even if I don't shoot it--perhaps there is a student or another who will?
I agree. (I also agree that in general, you won't make your CLA money back if you only get that done in order to sell it. (Many will want to send to the tech of their choice, anyway) But if mirror foam is all that's keeping it from functioning, it's worth being able to say it's functioning if you feel up to that job, yourself. If you were to sell it on the forums here, though, I think you could probably do OK by saying 'Erik CLA'ed this:' he's got a good rep here and isn't too expensive, besides.

Could end up being me that buys it, even if you come round to selling in a few months. (Right now I'm new to Pentax and have an ME Super to go along with the digital for now. When I get some more Pentax lenses it'll make more sense to carry a little Pentax film body around: for now, the K20 shares a bag with my old Canon FD stuff or a Mamiya, in general. )

But I think it's already got a pretty good home. No reason not to tune that guy up for yourself, and it ought to last you forever.

As for film, I still consider film to actually be the primary thing I'm doing, and the digital..... Mostly for those things that in these times need to be ready faster. (Also to put some color back in to my more creative endeavors, I think digital kind of makes this fun for me again.
01-25-2009, 03:14 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. You all have got me psyched to shoot again. Even though I have my degree in photography, I haven't shot seriously (the K110D was used mostly for listing stuff on eBay) pretty much since I graduated 11+ years ago.

I think I'll try and get that MX up and running again! After all, I have three lenses for it. Perhaps they'll have a reunion tour yet!
01-25-2009, 06:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by P-SHOOTER Quote
Thanks for the replies. You all have got me psyched to shoot again. Even though I have my degree in photography, I haven't shot seriously (the K110D was used mostly for listing stuff on eBay) pretty much since I graduated 11+ years ago.

I think I'll try and get that MX up and running again! After all, I have three lenses for it. Perhaps they'll have a reunion tour yet!
I have a degree in filmmaking, though I never really got to use it (I'm in IT right now). The last time I did film was back in college, but going back to it now, well, it feels good, the images are decidedly different from digital captures, and I'm a bit angry at myself for not shooting film all these years.