Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2009, 08:01 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 2
Has anyone had shutter trouble with the ZX5N

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I have just recently upgraded to the Pentax K10D. The main reason for this upgrade was due to my Pentaz ZX-5N mirror being stuck in the up position. I just figured it was too expensive a proposition to fix the camera and it was time to make the jump to digital.

Now I have the ZX-5N just sitting around and I am wondering has anyone else had this problem and is there a user fix that I could do?

Thanks.

01-26-2009, 08:07 AM   #2
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 182
I never had any such problems with my Mz5n, nor my Mz50, the only thing I had problems with was the camera tended not to move the film enough between shots, resulting in a slight overlap. This was sorted by putting fresh batteries in and it wirked for a while again. With the mirror locked in the up position, it more sounds like a mechanical issue though, so new batteries will most likley not help.

Another weak spot with the cemara is the spring for the pup up flash. It broke a long time ago on the MZ50, and just a week ago when I looked at the MZ5n body, it broke on that as well. My guess is a bit of aging plastig is supposed to hold one end of the spring.
01-26-2009, 04:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian
ChrisPlatt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Queens NYC
Posts: 4,779
Eric tells me that the original motors in the "plastic Pentax" cameras often fail,
but the replacements are of better quality and will last longer.

Chris
01-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,915
contact Erik
Home

01-26-2009, 05:19 PM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 281
Eric and ZX's

I didn't think that Eric worked on the newer bodies. I may have to send my ZX-5n off to him.

ciphfer,

Yes I have the same camera with the same problem, most likely. Does your camera make some noises when you turn it on? Mine makes sounds like there is a motor spinning but nothing happens. This is a good sign that the plastic gear on the motor has broken, a comon problem with these bodies. As Chris said, the replacement gear is metal.
01-27-2009, 10:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member
frank's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,202
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Eric tells me that the original motors in the "plastic Pentax" cameras often fail,
but the replacements are of better quality and will last longer.

Chris
That's the problem I was told by our local Pentax agent too. Actually he even showed me two different motors. The original one comea in the camera has a plastic gear which hooks the mirror and motor, and that plastic gear cracks/breaks very easily. When it breaks, there won't be any link between the motor and the mirror, thus the mirror locks at the up position. The replacement motor comes w/ a brass gear to link to the mirror, it won't break as easily.

It won't be easy to find a replacement motor nowadays since all those MZ series cameras have been out of production for some years now
01-27-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 281
Pentax Support in the US

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
That's the problem I was told by our local Pentax agent too. Actually he even showed me two different motors. The original one comea in the camera has a plastic gear which hooks the mirror and motor, and that plastic gear cracks/breaks very easily. When it breaks, there won't be any link between the motor and the mirror, thus the mirror locks at the up position. The replacement motor comes w/ a brass gear to link to the mirror, it won't break as easily.

It won't be easy to find a replacement motor nowadays since all those MZ series cameras have been out of production for some years now
Pentax does support the MZ series in the US. I called and got some replacement pins for the popup flash spring mechanism (another weak link). They actually sent me 4 of them for free. They said no parts for anything older...
01-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member
frank's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,202
QuoteOriginally posted by felix68 Quote
Pentax does support the MZ series in the US. I called and got some replacement pins for the popup flash spring mechanism (another weak link). They actually sent me 4 of them for free. They said no parts for anything older...
That's good to know

Actually the popup flash problem is pretty easy to fix by yourself, mostly. Just open up the top and re-hook the spring which gets off quite easily. Unless it's something broken, it'd be a easy fix ...

01-27-2009, 08:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,915
QuoteOriginally posted by felix68 Quote
Pentax does support the MZ series in the US. I called and got some replacement pins for the popup flash spring mechanism (another weak link). They actually sent me 4 of them for free. They said no parts for anything older...
if you have spares, can you send me one ?
01-28-2009, 10:03 AM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 281
Mine Have Been Broken

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
That's good to know

Actually the popup flash problem is pretty easy to fix by yourself, mostly. Just open up the top and re-hook the spring which gets off quite easily. Unless it's something broken, it'd be a easy fix ...
On both of the MZs that I have opened up, the pin has been broken. It acts as the hinge pin for the flash and the winding pin for the spring and the spring end just snapped off. I think that the flash snapping up may cause this over time so I just let the flash up gently with my finger.
K100D - Get you own pins, I am hoarding mine!
01-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member
AndrewG NY's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chappaqua, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 679
I have a 5n that I suspect has the mirror motor problem. For me, if I press the shutter button I get sort of a high-pitched buzzing noise (almost like a warning buzzer). Mirror is down though.
01-28-2009, 02:51 PM   #12
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 281
Sounds Like the Motor Gear

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
I have a 5n that I suspect has the mirror motor problem. For me, if I press the shutter button I get sort of a high-pitched buzzing noise (almost like a warning buzzer). Mirror is down though.
Sounds like the same problem. Most of them break the gear when the mirror hits the bump stop and that is why the mirror is stuck up. I am sure that they can break in other positions as well, which is what I suspect happened to you.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
zx-5n
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trouble with Remote Shutter Release with K200D Tamia Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 12-03-2009 07:18 AM
Running Water: Slow Shutter and Fast Shutter Comparison Mike Cash Post Your Photos! 2 02-03-2009 01:25 AM
So am I in trouble Eastern Shore Charlie Post Your Photos! 8 10-24-2008 08:46 AM
P30T, shutter will not reliably stay open on bulb with cable shutter control. skid2964 Pentax Film SLR Discussion 6 06-09-2008 08:04 AM
trouble with focus fevbusch Photographic Technique 1 07-17-2007 11:05 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:32 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top