Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2009, 08:01 AM   #1

Has anyone had shutter trouble with the ZX5N

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I have just recently upgraded to the Pentax K10D. The main reason for this upgrade was due to my Pentaz ZX-5N mirror being stuck in the up position. I just figured it was too expensive a proposition to fix the camera and it was time to make the jump to digital.

Now I have the ZX-5N just sitting around and I am wondering has anyone else had this problem and is there a user fix that I could do?

Thanks.

01-26-2009, 08:07 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I never had any such problems with my Mz5n, nor my Mz50, the only thing I had problems with was the camera tended not to move the film enough between shots, resulting in a slight overlap. This was sorted by putting fresh batteries in and it wirked for a while again. With the mirror locked in the up position, it more sounds like a mechanical issue though, so new batteries will most likley not help.

Another weak spot with the cemara is the spring for the pup up flash. It broke a long time ago on the MZ50, and just a week ago when I looked at the MZ5n body, it broke on that as well. My guess is a bit of aging plastig is supposed to hold one end of the spring.
01-26-2009, 04:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Eric tells me that the original motors in the "plastic Pentax" cameras often fail,
but the replacements are of better quality and will last longer.

Chris
01-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

contact Erik
Home

01-26-2009, 05:19 PM   #5

Eric and ZX's

I didn't think that Eric worked on the newer bodies. I may have to send my ZX-5n off to him.

ciphfer,

Yes I have the same camera with the same problem, most likely. Does your camera make some noises when you turn it on? Mine makes sounds like there is a motor spinning but nothing happens. This is a good sign that the plastic gear on the motor has broken, a comon problem with these bodies. As Chris said, the replacement gear is metal.
01-27-2009, 10:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Eric tells me that the original motors in the "plastic Pentax" cameras often fail,
but the replacements are of better quality and will last longer.

Chris
That's the problem I was told by our local Pentax agent too. Actually he even showed me two different motors. The original one comea in the camera has a plastic gear which hooks the mirror and motor, and that plastic gear cracks/breaks very easily. When it breaks, there won't be any link between the motor and the mirror, thus the mirror locks at the up position. The replacement motor comes w/ a brass gear to link to the mirror, it won't break as easily.

It won't be easy to find a replacement motor nowadays since all those MZ series cameras have been out of production for some years now
01-27-2009, 12:12 PM   #7

Pentax Support in the US

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
That's the problem I was told by our local Pentax agent too. Actually he even showed me two different motors. The original one comea in the camera has a plastic gear which hooks the mirror and motor, and that plastic gear cracks/breaks very easily. When it breaks, there won't be any link between the motor and the mirror, thus the mirror locks at the up position. The replacement motor comes w/ a brass gear to link to the mirror, it won't break as easily.

It won't be easy to find a replacement motor nowadays since all those MZ series cameras have been out of production for some years now
Pentax does support the MZ series in the US. I called and got some replacement pins for the popup flash spring mechanism (another weak link). They actually sent me 4 of them for free. They said no parts for anything older...
01-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by felix68 Quote
Pentax does support the MZ series in the US. I called and got some replacement pins for the popup flash spring mechanism (another weak link). They actually sent me 4 of them for free. They said no parts for anything older...
That's good to know

Actually the popup flash problem is pretty easy to fix by yourself, mostly. Just open up the top and re-hook the spring which gets off quite easily. Unless it's something broken, it'd be a easy fix ...

01-27-2009, 08:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by felix68 Quote
if you have spares, can you send me one ?
01-28-2009, 10:03 AM   #10

Mine Have Been Broken

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
That's good to know

Actually the popup flash problem is pretty easy to fix by yourself, mostly. Just open up the top and re-hook the spring which gets off quite easily. Unless it's something broken, it'd be a easy fix ...
On both of the MZs that I have opened up, the pin has been broken. It acts as the hinge pin for the flash and the winding pin for the spring and the spring end just snapped off. I think that the flash snapping up may cause this over time so I just let the flash up gently with my finger.
K100D - Get you own pins, I am hoarding mine!
01-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I have a 5n that I suspect has the mirror motor problem. For me, if I press the shutter button I get sort of a high-pitched buzzing noise (almost like a warning buzzer). Mirror is down though.
01-28-2009, 02:51 PM   #12

Sounds Like the Motor Gear

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
I have a 5n that I suspect has the mirror motor problem. For me, if I press the shutter button I get sort of a high-pitched buzzing noise (almost like a warning buzzer). Mirror is down though.
Sounds like the same problem. Most of them break the gear when the mirror hits the bump stop and that is why the mirror is stuck up. I am sure that they can break in other positions as well, which is what I suspect happened to you.