Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2009, 08:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
New to me ME & primes!

Some pics of the ME, primes, and accessories that arrived today. I have no idea how to use any of this, but I'm looking forward to learning.

Pentax ME
Pentax M 50mm 1.7
Pentax K 30mm 2.8
Pentax M 100mm 2.8
all with Hoya skylight filters, hoods, a cable release and two color filters I don't understand the purpose of.

I put the 100 2.8 on my K200D, and just like you all said, hit the green button, focus and go! Very nice punchy colours. I'll assault my poinsettia and post some photos in a bit.

If anyone would like more detailed shots, I can do that as well, but the lighting in my place is fairly awful at night.

Last edited by grainbelt; 01-27-2009 at 07:39 AM.
01-26-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, that is a gorgeous set up, clearly assembled by someone who knew what they were doing. What a lens line up! The blue filter is probably for shooting by incandescent light on normal film (no auto white balance), the yellow could be for shooting special incandescent film outside in daylight, or it could be a warming filter. Enjoy, and if you tire of any of the lenses, let us know!
01-26-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

And BTW the 30mm is a K series, not M. I do not believe they made an M version of that lens.
01-26-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
And BTW the 30mm is a K series, not M. I do not believe they made an M version of that lens.
Took a second glance, and you are correct. I was wondering why it seemed a bit bigger than the M 50...

This split focus viewfinder is going to take some getting used to... I'm not entirely sure how it works...

01-26-2009, 09:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The coloured filters are intended for use with black and white film. Look around online or in a photography book for an explanation of how to use them.

Using coloured filters with black & white film
01-26-2009, 09:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Oh, and the split ring focus screens are really easy to use. Looking through the viewfinder place the prism over a straight line on the object you want in focus. The line will appear broken across the middle of the prism. Adjust focus until both halves of the prism line up and the line you are focusing on appears to be straight. Your subject is now in focus.

I little bit of practise and you will wonder how you ever manual focused a camera without a prism.
01-26-2009, 11:56 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Killer deal!
The filters are great, the yellow will give you "punch"in BW film, and the blue is great to simulate night conditions during the day or to shoot daylight film indoors (I do not know how dark it is), check the markings and then ran a quick search on the number.

Before the digital days there was no AWB, so we had to keep 3 or 4 filters to shoot indoors, under floodlgihts, under sodium lamps, etc.
And of course a warm filter!!

01-27-2009, 02:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There is no simpler camera, perhaps, than the ME. It is totally aperture-priority automatic exposure. All you have to do is focus and shoot.

Download the manual for free from Butkus
01-27-2009, 03:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
There is no simpler camera, perhaps, than the ME. It is totally aperture-priority automatic exposure. All you have to do is focus and shoot.

Download the manual for free from Butkus

The Program series is even simpler. You don't even have to set aperture!

On Topic: Awesome setup! If you find you're not using the 100mm f/2.8 too much, I'll be more than happy to relieve you of that burden.
Also I see you've got two motor winders...!
01-27-2009, 06:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Oh the 100mm and the 30mm are true gems. Not that the 50 is shabby, it's just common.

Congratulations.
01-27-2009, 07:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I hesitate to ask how much you paid for all that, since I'm guessing it's a steal.

Looking forward to your shots and contributions to the forums. People here are great! Simply ask away and you'll be sure to get answers from a truly knowledgeable lot. I have high respect for forum members here.
01-27-2009, 07:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
I hesitate to ask how much you paid for all that, since I'm guessing it's a steal.

Looking forward to your shots and contributions to the forums. People here are great! Simply ask away and you'll be sure to get answers from a truly knowledgeable lot. I have high respect for forum members here.

Paid 300 USD. Not likely a steal, but I wasn't too worried about it in the first place.

I've really enjoyed the brief time I've spent in the forum. People here are wonderful.
01-27-2009, 08:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grainbelt Quote
Paid 300 USD. Not likely a steal, but I wasn't too worried about it in the first place.

I've really enjoyed the brief time I've spent in the forum. People here are wonderful.
The K30/2.8 alone would probably cost more than 300USD, and seems it's in great shape. I'd think the price you paid is still a great bargain.

Congrats on the new purchase btw, hope you'd enjoy shooting some film as many here
01-27-2009, 08:46 AM   #14
Veteran Member

That's a great-looking kit. Seems like you bought a 30/2.8 and got the rest of the kit for free! The 100/2.8 is probably worth more than the ME and 50/1.7 combined as well.

The ME is a very simple body with a big, gorgeous viewfinder. Aperture, focus, and exposure comp if you want it.
01-27-2009, 05:59 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grainbelt Quote

That's a steal in my book. I'd gladly have put out $300 for that set.

Yes, people here are really wonderful. There's almost always heated debate in the News and Rumors section, but it's all good. It doesn't get nasty there (testy, yes, but not nasty) - no name-calling and Nazis involved.

There are a lot of film gurus here in this subsection. I'm not one of them, but I hang around to learn from them.