Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2009, 06:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

idiot question time here

I was wondering which film camera if it even exists would give me basically control of the aperture of the lens but would decide for me what shutter speed to use? Now for the kicker I like the old school quality of having to manually advance and rewind the film. I know a weirdo was wondering which of the older cameras does this sort of looking for a middle camera between my spotmatic and my PZ-1p i would guess can be either M42 or Kmount i would guess

01-29-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Pentax ME.
01-29-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Or ME super, which also has a full manual mode. Same with a Ricoh XR-7, which also has a DOF preview lever. And the Super Program will let you shoot in Av, Tv, P and manual modes, while retaining manual focus, manual film advance and rewind. Not sure about the Spotmatics, but I bet there is one that will do it too.
01-29-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks guys also think the MG will fit the bill correct?

01-29-2009, 08:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter

The SuperProgram. In addition to what Nick mentions, it also has ttl flash capabilities. It is a compact body as well.
01-29-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Spotmatic ES also.
01-29-2009, 09:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

And the ESII. And if we may be permitted to stray from Pentax for a moment, the Yashica Electro 35 series (fixed-lens rangefinder) does the same thing.
01-29-2009, 10:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
The MG, MV and MV1 have a lot of cut corners that you might notice after a while. For example, top plates are plastic. Viewfinders are smaller. The meters don't work down to EV1.

From the K series, only the K2 has Av. The M series will all work in Av except for the MX. Almost all the cameras newer than the M series have Av except for 4. The P3/P30 and Z-10/PZ-10 are missing Av.

01-29-2009, 11:02 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

There is also the ultimate aperture priority auto exposure Pentax - the LX - and it autoexposes all the way to two minutes!
01-30-2009, 01:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Most of the M* series cameras will do it.
The MG works fine, but does not allow you to have manula control if you ever needed it.
If you can get a MESuper or a ME instead of the MG

As a side note, I got a MG 2 yrs ago from a friend who had thrown it in the attic for years, worked well and I got very good pictures.
Gave it to my brother who went mountain biking with it and even after a few falls it kept ticking. It finally died a few months back somewhere in the Andes.

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
01-30-2009, 05:59 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just bought an ME for the same reason. Wierdo, indeed.
01-30-2009, 09:11 AM   #12
Pentaxian

you have forgotten the LX, K2, K2 DMD, ricoh XR2 and XR2s, chinon, cosina, and the list goes on.....

Basically (with the exception of canon who used shutter priorty on their SLRS) every camera manufacturer in world during the 1970's and 1980's who offered automatic exposure offered apature priority.

I personally like the Ricoh Cameras because they have a diagonal split image. (I own an XR2s)

Shutter priority for pentax came in with cameras that could use the A series lenses, however even bodies that used A series lenses could also offer apature priority.

To be honest, though, except for the desire to have a split image for manual focus, I don't know why anyone would let a perfectly good PZ-1p sit on the shelf and use any other pentax body in its place.
01-30-2009, 09:22 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
you have forgotten the LX, K2, K2 DMD, ricoh XR2 and XR2s, chinon, cosina, and the list goes on.....

Basically (with the exception of canon who used shutter priorty on their SLRS) every camera manufacturer in world during the 1970's and 1980's who offered automatic exposure offered apature priority.

I personally like the Ricoh Cameras because they have a diagonal split image. (I own an XR2s)

Shutter priority for pentax came in with cameras that could use the A series lenses, however even bodies that used A series lenses could also offer apature priority.

To be honest, though, except for the desire to have a split image for manual focus, I don't know why anyone would let a perfectly good PZ-1p sit on the shelf and use any other pentax body in its place.
The LX was mentioned. I was thinking in the context of the original post when I considered the K2. I have a k2 and SuperProgram and if I want aperture priority and/or ttl flash, I go with the SuperProgram. My favorite is the K2 though. That said, I have a Chinon CP-7m that I bought new ~1987 that is a good program mf camera.
01-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #14
Veteran Member

The ES II is a wonderful camera - I'd stay away from the ES as it's battery usage is... hoggish... and Pentax ironed out some issues with the ES II. SMC Tak heaven.

I quite like my Program Plus - though Super Pgm is 'better' - as it will do the A thing in program mode, making it compatible with all those aperture ring-less lenses. And with plain K or any lens with an aperture ring (including the screw mounts) it works great in Av auto - just set yer aperture and the camera meters. Better than the dSLRs. And it's small too.

The ME Super has a great rep around here, I've only briefly used my brother in law's. The viewfinder's the biggest of any Pentax. It does Av, but as it lacks a program setting it won't do well with lenses without that ring.
01-30-2009, 12:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Lowell
I agree the PZ-1P is a very good camera and do use it. I do however from time to time like having to manually advance the film I know its not really a good reason to buy a camera but it just somehow feels right if you know what I mean. Learning the spotmatic however has been a challenge since I have no experience with full manual photography before. I still havent put my takumars on the PZ however will have to do that one of these days to see how they feel